Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2023, 02:20 PM   #21
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
We use a Knox lock with round key, it is very robust. It will keep the honest thieves at bay, but if they are determined there is no lock that will really stop, but only delay them. A battery powered 4" grinder will make quick work of all locks applied. As long as you know that, you're in a good place. I suggest you install a GPS tracker and security system with motion sensing on your rig.

Old 01-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #22
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
i had a round caplock I used on myCompanion B&W hitch, but when I switched to the Pullright with the capture plate it wouldn't fit. i like this Home Depot lock you recommended, and just ordered one. thanks!
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:21 PM   #23
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
When I park my 5th wheel in my storage lot, I put the jacks down and take the batteries home. I also have a king pin lock. All of these things can easily be defeated by a determined thief, but hopefully it'll make other units more appealing.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:07 AM   #24
Voyageur

M.O.C. #31848
I use Amplock LPCVR king pin lock and feel 100% confident. Your fiver will be impossible to hitch. Takes 10 sec. to fix and remove.
Voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:51 AM   #25
vipermike

M.O.C. #11757
I live on an acre near Apache Junction. You are welcome to park your 5th wheel on our property while you pick up your wife. Sky Harbor is about 40 miles.
But I don't know how to securely post my contact info.
vipermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #26
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermike View Post
I live on an acre near Apache Junction. You are welcome to park your 5th wheel on our property while you pick up your wife. Sky Harbor is about 40 miles.
Just send the OP a private message.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #27
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermike View Post
Thank you so very much and I really feel humbled by all the responses and ideas to help me secure the trailer while I pick her up. Everything has been taken care of and she is taking an uber from the airport to my location where I am parked thanks to another MOC member that sent me a PM suggesting a location that was a free parking spot for a couple of days. Will work out very well I think. Now I don't have to drive my TV into Sky Harbor Airport. Somehow I don't think a dually is the best rig to take into the arrival gate.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:05 PM   #28
DanC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27172
Pin Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
My DW had to fly home to deal with a family emergency while in Laredo and I will need to pick her up in Phoenix when I get there. In Laredo I didn't worry about the FW due to being in a gated TX state park when I left to take her to the airport. In Phoenix I will be there only long enough to unhitch, drive to the airport, pick her up and return to the FW to hitch up and depart Phoenix. I do not feel comfortable leaving my FW without some security it won't be stolen. I'm thinking of a king pin lock to make it difficult to steal. Anyone use one and if so what model/brand is a good secure one? Finding an RV park for 1 night in Phoenix close to airport doesn't seem to be available as everything is either a minimum 6 months lease or a dump with security issues.
There is a Camping World in Mesa, 30 mins from the airport. Call in advance and see if you can park it there until you pick her up and return...Just an Idea...
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:45 PM   #29
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
There is a Camping World in Mesa, 30 mins from the airport. Call in advance and see if you can park it there until you pick her up and return...Just an Idea...
A great suggestion and will keep it in mind. Thank you
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:59 PM   #30
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
The Lock picking lawyer must be rich then. He has been picking them for some time.

As far as puling a fuse, the battery and all the solenoids are right there in one place one jumper cable to the hydralic motor and a short wire to any of the solenoids can raise the all the legs.
Really I wouldn`t worry about it, if you are take a tire off. The easy fixes are just as easy for the thief to defeat..
If they want it that bad...they can have it...
Old 01-03-2023, 04:53 PM   #31
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Another option might be the Bass Pro store very near the airport. It is a little tight , but I think they allow parking out at the edge. It is on Dobson road right by the 202 which is the highway to the airport. Probably less than 5 miles.
Another option perhaps, is just park in the parking lot for that shopping area in the same general area just South of Bass Pro. There is a Home Depot, Walmart and others stores. When I have driven thru there it always seems pretty open.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 08:19 PM   #32
skp911

M.O.C. #33445
Man, you sure know how to take the fun out of stealing ......... bahhhhh
skp911 is offline   Reply With Quote