Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2023, 04:14 AM   #1
Janine
Established Member

M.O.C. #23264
Water pressure low

Help. When we first got to this park, the city water was OK. Now, it starts out OK, then quickly goes down to a trickle. We have to turn on the water pump to get a decent amount of pressure. And ideas what might be the problem? Is there an on-board filter that we don't know about? Water flows at about 40 lb when we had the gauge on, so we took it off. We have a 2020 Montana 3813MS

Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:11 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you have a water pressure regulator with a gauge and it's reading 40psi at the spicket, there's nothing you can do about it.
Maybe check another spicket at a different location in the Campground just to cross check then talk to the Campground hosts.
Using your on board Water pump is your only option.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:34 AM   #3
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
The screen on your hook up might be plugged.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:47 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
OK, I'm not the brightest light bulb in the box? I'm a bit confused.

Are you saying that, when hooked up to shore water with your regulator connected, your water pressure inside the camper starts out OK and then it reduces to a trickle.

When you remove the regulator and are connected to shore water, your pressure is OK?

If so, then there is something going on with the pressure regulator.

Or, when you remove the pressure regulator, does the same thing happen; water starts flowing ok initially and then it reduces? If so, then it's the campground.

Considering you have good water pressure when running from your fresh water tank and on-board water pump, I don't see there is anything going on wrong with the camper?

Have you tried disconnecting the hose from the trailer, make sure the regulator is attached to the shore water source, and simply turn on the water spigot and see if the pressure reduces as water is spewing out the end of the garden hose. That's where I'd start to eliminate the trailer having an issue.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:24 AM   #5
Janine
Established Member

M.O.C. #23264
This park has backlog regulators, we'll be checking that out too.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:58 AM   #6
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I've seen water filters built into some very expensive RVs as OEM, never on a Montana. If it does happen to have one, I would think it would be located somewhere readily accessible and visible for maintenance.

I've never heard of a backflow preventer causing a pressure drop, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I agree that the filter screen at your city water inlet connection might be the most likely suspect, but I would think you wouldn't see an initial higher pressure then drop.

It could be an issue with the CGs water mains too. If your site is at the extreme distance from the CGs water meter usually located at the road at CG entrance, they may have installed pipe that is too small to deliver a good pressure and flow rate throughout the CG, or maybe added additional sites and didn't upsize the mains for additional sites. You might check with other campers near the CG entrance, or check their bath house for same issue.

A good way to check would get a water hose "Y" connector and install on your spigot, connect your regulator/inlet hose to one port. Connect a gauge on the other and turn on the water in your Monty and go see what the pressure is on the separate gauge. I carry both of these on my rig. The pressure gauge I'm referring to have a water hose fitting and has a "drag needle" that stays at max pressure until you reset it. It's a handy tool and it and the Y fitting will cost you all of about $25.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:01 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If the inside pressure drops very quickly - like 2 seconds - it may be the filter on the inlet to the trailer. Another thing to check is just take the hose and hold a thumb over the end so no/little water escapes. Then take thumb off and see if stream from the hose drops considerably. If so, it is the campground lines.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:09 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Besides the possibility that the screen on the city water inlet fitting that could be clogged, I have also seen the check valve in that city water fitting stuck closed or almost closed, which would allow the pressure to equalize on both sides, but flow would be very restricted. Sometimes, you can take a small screwdriver and poke at the valve to make sure it is free, and do that with the pump turned off so you don't get a bath. Another question, have you just hooked up a hose to the water spigot and turned on the water? That will tell you if the water volume from the spigot is good or not.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:59 AM   #9
Janine
Established Member

M.O.C. #23264
Thanks. We'll give all these replies a shot.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:34 PM   #10
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
From your description it sounds to me like you have a flow problem vs. a pressure problem. The key in reaching this conclusion is that you say it starts out OK and then becomes a trickle. I'd be looking at faucet aerators or filter screens when the water supply connects to your rig. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:59 PM   #11
Janine
Established Member

M.O.C. #23264
Thanks, it is probably this park. The neighbor's is just as bad.
Old 01-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Yup, I’m sure its the park. If you start with good flow and pressure and it goes down after some time its got to be the rv park otherwise you would start with low pressure and low flow. Your pressure gauge regulator at the spigot will tell the tale as long as you have a good regulator. I have had this happen to me several times, especially if the park is full and everyone is using water at the same time. Only option is on board pump. Fill your fresh tank and go from there.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:19 PM   #13
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
Ha dit happen to us in Colorado. Park host came by and told me to lose the regulator. He said they only had 40 PIS at the well head. Since we were at the far end of the park, we were probably just getting a squirt at best.

Just my 2 pennys worth
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:26 PM   #14
Janine
Established Member

M.O.C. #23264
We have resolved to use the on board pump to get a decent pressure.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:29 AM   #15
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
Water pressure

I would notice if this is happening all the time. In the morning everybody is showering and running water and pressure. Can get very low in a park. I have this problem with my mobile home park. I also have a water filter built into my pump.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote