Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2024, 07:25 AM   #1
joe direnzi
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20983
Good sam extended service plan

Hello all.Hope everyone is doing well.Anyone have the good sam extended service plan and is it worth having?Our extended warrenty is up on our 2018 3721rl.

joe direnzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:34 AM   #2
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Don't know about that, but a friend of mine had the towing plan & they called when they had truck problems & nobody ever showed up. I think they just limped along at 5 mph.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 03:40 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Granted, people will vocalize a bad experience and never mention the good one, but I've read on way too many forums about the bad service from Good Sam and Camping World. Based on the age of your camper, "personally" I don't think the cost is worth it. Save your money and create your own slush fund for repairs. That's what we've done for years now.

But, only you know what will work best for you. Just remember, their extended warranties and service plans are chocked full of exceptions and they work very, very hard to decline your claims. Just be warned!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:03 PM   #4
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
I have had it two campers. First time wasn’t worth a ****. But glad I got it on the 2d one. They paid out over 3,000 to date. Had heating problems. After replacing a number of parts ended up replacing the furnace with a new one.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:32 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Some people are going to come out better with an ESP. But they are destined so the insurance company will make money after all the expenses. If you feel safe, you can afford to self insure you will save money in the long run. Maybe not on one purchase but in the long run after many purchases.
If you choose one read very carefully make sure you know what you are paying for and what you will get.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:49 AM   #6
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
When we bought our 2018 Monty, we accepted all the Good Sam plans. Road Service, Tire service, medical service, and extended warranty. All were for 6 years and cost thousands of dollars. I tried to get road service 3 times over the 6 years and never got any. (No one in the area, Assigned tech did not show, and guy who showed was incompetent to fix the problem). I used Google to find my own service and stopped even trying the road service coverage.

Twice I tried to get repairs covered by the warranty but of course, the items were not covered. So in my case I paid thousands for nothing. They want me to renew now and that won't be happening. I will fund and obtain my own repairs.
Jacksonville, FL
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:39 PM   #7
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
I paid for the extended plan. Had a service guy out today and he’s got a list. So far we in $100. We’ll see how it works out.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:10 PM   #8
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Update. I have good Sam extended warranty.
They say due to fraud they are sending inspectors prior to repair approval. So it’s gonna be a process. Of course if I go to camping world service this process is simpler, but some of us can’t just drop off our unit 2-6 weeks after initial issue and leave it there for several weeks. So here’s where I’m at.
Initial service call Monday. Fixed what he could and wrote it up/sent to warranty.
Wednesday warranty folks called to verify issues.
Now, Once estimate sent from repair shop to warranter, will schedule inspector and of course repair shop must be present. Hoping for Friday 23 feb.
Then inspectors report must be submitted.
Then repair shop can order parts and we can get er done.

I asked repair shop to order the parts so they have them on hand so I won’t have to wait for that— they agreed — even if they deny claim I’m gonna fix it, pay shop and I’ll fight with warranty later. Most of my issues are relatively minor but it’s the principle and they need to be fixed.

Toilet leak fixed on initial call
To maxxi vent motors will not put vents up and down
Stereo just straight up don’t work did last year. Lol
Sink faucet leak minor
One dark blind shade won’t stay down and of course that’s already been denied. Not covered.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:59 PM   #9
rubio171
Established Member

M.O.C. #33123
Good sam

The good Sam policy for our 2019 3811ms was going. To be like 6 or 7 thousand dollars….for that kind of money, I can do a lot of repairs on my rig. Plus I asked if frame was covered, no it’s not. Then I asked if water leaks are covered, no they are not either. Those are the two most expensive things that can happen and they are not covered…so what’s the point.
rubio171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:27 PM   #10
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Extended Service Plan

My extended service plan is running out next month. I have a 2017 Montana RE3000. I do not travel fulltime. I generally take one long trip per year. I am trying to decide what to do.
Does anyone have a service plan you like and who is it? I have read some on Good Sam Extended Service Plan. Some good comments, and some not so good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:06 PM   #11
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
@rubio. I don’t disagree, however I like Bubba take 1 long trip a year (2-4 months). And when I purchased it was going to be about 1 year before I was going to get here to use it. I also believe it covers leaks, but not water damage? Also, many units like mine have some expensive items, and lastly I can’t get unit to my house to do work, so tools and time limited. So with all that, the extended warranty was good insurance.

@ Bubba. Time will tell, but unless I have continuous issues and fully recoup my extended warranty money, plus some I doubt I’ll repay for extended warranty after this ones up. I think I’m good thru 2028 with this one.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:42 PM   #12
Tjvroeg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24219
Worthless! Paid for it for 5 years, tried to use it last year for refrigerator repair. Part of the problem was a fuse in the refrigerator…they don’t cover fuses. $500.00 deductible, $750.00 repair bill. Next week the furnace didn’t work. New deductible for another issue so no point in submitting a $300.00 bill. Did not realize it’s a deductible per item, even if they are repairing in the same visit.
Needless to say, we canceled the policy and put the premiums into our new “repairs” fund.
Tjvroeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:44 AM   #13
Camp-a-Palooza

M.O.C. #32726
Can't you cancel the plan and get a refund?
Camp-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:09 AM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe direnzi View Post
Hello all.Hope everyone is doing well.Anyone have the good sam extended service plan and is it worth having?Our extended warrenty is up on our 2018 3721rl.
Look to see what is EXCLUDED from coverage, Specifically. Read it carefully.
Check on labor rate covered. Most plans state the labor rate maximum they will pay. You have to cover the rest plus deductible. You have to read and comply, to the letter, how to file the claim BEFORE any work is performed, wether its you or a shop. I bought an extended service and road.hazard plan and used both, but not Good Sam. I never had repairs costing as much as the plan cost, so I would have been better off “ self insuring”. I was a first time new 5er owner and it was a used unit, so I wanted some “insurance” in case it was a money pit. My extended service plan expires this year and I will NOT replace it. They all will make it difficult to get a claim paid. I am setting aside what the premiums would cost me to self insure. I have had my rig for 4 years now and know its systems and quirks by now. If you are a handy “Do it yourself “ person, I would suggest self insuring. Even if you are not, for the cost of the plan you can probably afford to self insure. Ultimately, its your comfort level and your decision. They make commissions from selling these plans and the companies are in business to make money and not pay claims. If you decide you do want a service plan, shop around. Don’t just look at the Good Sam plan. Good luck.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:24 PM   #15
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Update.
Service guy and inspector was here today. Inspector had no issues but of course has to submit his reports.
Service guy brought all the parts, stayed and made all repairs/replacements. Confident claim will be approved, but if not I’ll pay service company as promised and argue with warranty folks later.

End of day, we are good to go and I’ve got back 35-40% of initial extended warranty cost.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:32 PM   #16
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
We have an 7 year extended warranty with 5-year roadside with Compass RV Protection Non-Motorized.....very reasonable price, good coverage and excellent claim service.