Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2024, 07:16 AM   #1
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Automatic Transfer Switch install

Automatic Transfer Switch install.
We boondock (dry camp) frequently using generators and Solar (800w) with a 3000w inverter powered by a 554Ah lithium battery bank. We did NOT have an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS). I have been using a "manual" (red neck) method for distributing 120vac power in the rig. Takes about 15 minutes to do.
I bought a Go Power TS-50 ATS and appropriately sized wiring and installed it.
I wanted to install it behind the basement walls, like how they do the factory installed one, however wiring and plumbing was in the way and there just wasn't enough room (the power cord wiring is very stiff, bulky and doesn't bend well. I ended up installing it behind the circuit breaker panel under the coffee bar cabinet (2019 3130re).
I knew there was a lot of space there AND these things have been known to fail. In that scenario it would be much easier to work on (bypass) indoors rather than have to empty thd basement (probably in the pouring rain) take down the basement walls and bypass it.
It works great and I'm very pleased with the results. Just push a button (to start the inverter) and you are up and running.
SO much easier.
(FYI there are also manual transfer switches you can do this with).
Parts:
Go Power! TS-50 50 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch https://a.co/d/eX9wZn6

6 Gauge 4 Conductor 6/4 AWG Black SOOW Portable Power Cable Wire (5 Feet) https://a.co/d/aB5xLHB
(From ATS to circuit breaker panel)

Copkim 8/3 AWG 25 ft SOOW Power Cable, 600V 10 Gauge Portable 3 Conductor Electric Wire Rubber Electrical Cord CPE Insulation Jacket for Portable Lights Battery Chargers Machinery https://a.co/d/aWS1HYW
(From inverter in the battery compartment to ATS behind the circuit breaker panel)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240403_100602.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	16777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240403_162013.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	16778   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240403_163145.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	16779  

Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:20 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Very well done sir. How did you get the panel off and back on? Isn't it stapled from the back?
Old 04-04-2024, 08:52 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I use a manual transfer switch. I make my own. Flip the breaker up for generator and down for shore and it will never break or wear out. Of course it takes me at least a day just to make it but it’s a fun project.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:35 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Very well done sir. How did you get the panel off and back on? Isn't it stapled from the back?
I Used a razer sharp utility knife.
Remove the circuit breaker panel (CBP).
From the front, angle the knife behind the vertical board and cut from top to bottom so the cut is hidden. You have to score it several times. Once the blade is through, go behind the CBP and finish the cuts at the top and bottom. Put a block of wood against the front of the panel and tap with a hammer to drive out the panel and staples. Once the panel is out remove the staples. Use a brown sharpie to color the splintered wood.
To reinstall the panel, I used 2"x6" piece of particle board and screwed it to the inside of the panel. There is a ledge the bottom edge of the access panel will sit on. I also put a piece of particle board on the top right corner. Again there is a ledge the thickness of the access panel that allows it to slide into place. Then I put a couple of screws on the front of the access panel as handles.
Hold the panel in your right hand. Put it in the cavity diagonally. Put the bottom edge into the slot. Hold the screws and slide the panel to the right until it stops. The top corner board holds it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240404_162558.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	16780   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240404_162614.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	16781  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote