Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2020, 02:22 AM   #61
Falcon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26505
I think I've got you all beat--in a bad way. I have a 2006 Duramax with the original 18 gal tank. Yup, 18 gal. I've run it down to fumes and never put more than 17.6 in it. I'm lucky to get 150 miles between fuel stops and, yes, it's a real pain. I'm looking at either a replacement tank or an aux tank in the bed. The tanks for the bed are cheaper and I've found so far that we don't need the bed space since we pack most things in the trailer. I want one that is short enough to use my tonneau cover when not towing. I see several people who mention they have replaced their OEM tank with a transfer tank. If that's the only tank you have, what is it transferring to?

Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #62
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
One trip from FL to CA is all it took for me. 36 gal stock and 50 gal Transfer Flow in the bed. Use an Andersen hitch to compensate for some of the added weight. We have found that we can travel all day (stops for lunch, the dogs and me), and fuel before we stop or in the morning at a TA or Petro (big discounts). I did it mostly for peace of mind but, one trip on I80 from CA to the east coast and I knew I made the right decision, seams like a long long way between fuel stops.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #63
SAMAWECH

M.O.C. #23035
We have a 2018 Ram 3500, 36 gal tank. I put a 100 gal L-shaped tank in the bed. I wanted to be able to go as far as possible when evacuating for Hurricanes. I can get well into TN without a problem.
SAMAWECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #64
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
I want one that is short enough to use my tonneau cover when not towing. I see several people who mention they have replaced their OEM tank with a transfer tank. If that's the only tank you have, what is it transferring to?
The name of the manufacture of the tank is called Transfer Flow. I replaced my OEM tank with their 61 gal tank and I installed their 50 gal aux tank in my bed. It is designed to fit under a tonneau cover. I have a BaK Flip hard folding tonneau and it fit no problem.
The Transfer Flow Aux in bed tanks are DOT approved. There for they are not gravity fill tanks. The aux tanks come with a Traxs fuel transfer system. A display unit is mounted in your truck. It monitors the system for any faults and will display them on the screen. It's all automatic. It monitors and displays the fuel level in your main and Aux tanks. It transfers fuel into the tank as needed via an electric fuel pump on the aux tank. When the fuel in your main tank drops to below 3/4 full the transfer system kicks in and will pump fuel into your main tank, as needed, to keep the fuel level in both tanks even. It works great. My tanks were installed back in 2/2016 and came with the Traxs 3 system. Their new tanka now come with a new Traxs 4 system. I haven't had any issues with the system since it was installed. You can leave the aux tank empty until you need it with no problems.
The reason I had the tanks installed was not for camping. It is because I live in Florida and if I have to evacuate because of a hurricane with 110 gals I have more than enough fuel to get well out of harms way and not worry about having to find fuel...Here is the link to Transfer flows website for more info:

https://www.transferflow.com
Old 12-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #65
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Falcon, I had a 2004 duramax (although it was a Chevy). It had a 25 gallon tank. I ran it down to fumes and added 24.5 gallons in Rawlings, Wy. No diesel stations north of there for 100 miles or more. So I think your tank has a problem.
However, after that trip I mentioned, I immediately added a larger tank under the truck. I think it was 52 gallons. MUCH nicer.
And my newer 2012 has 36 which is just barely enough. Now that I am REALLY old instead of kindof old, I try to only drive 250 -300 miles but some days it is 350 which depending on the terrain, I don't have enough fuel.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #66
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
you'll love it. forget the cost.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #67
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
For me the peace of mind knowing that at an average of 9MPG towing I have 900-1,000 mile range and at a low average of 15MPG not towing I have 1500+ mile range, if needed, is well worth the cost.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #68
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
I installed a 12 gal marine outboard tank and strapped it to the bed to supplement the 26 gal tank on my F350 diesel. I did need it once traveling from Spokane to California. Diesel was not that plentiful on that highway. Generally, the distance between Pilot/FlyingJ in most areas in the USA is OK for my truck getting 12mpg average pulling a 17,000 5th wheel. The extra 12 gal gives me peace of mind though. I go 200-250 miles between fill-ups which is about right to stretch the legs and pit stop.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:16 PM   #69
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
I had a bed tank in my 04 with a 26 gal. tank, but didn't use it much more for backup just in case. The last couple of trips I decided I'm not stopping I'd wait till the gauge was about 1/4 & I'd do a quick rest stop & open the valve on the other tank in about an hour the truck tank would be full.

The tank started out at 43 gal. but it was to tall to use my cover so I took 3 inches out & welded back together think it was about 35 gal. then.

But dummy me I sold it with the truck & now I'm trying to decide if I need another one. I think my 19 has a 34 or so tank.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #70
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Extra Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slufoot733 View Post
My 2016 only has a 26 gal tank SO....I added a 35 gal tank in the bed and use an electric fuel pump to transfer the fuel when needed Love it.
Same here, but the Dmax has a 35 gallon tank and I added a 43 gallon tool box/tank combo in the bed for a total of about 75 gallons capacity, but I usually never have more than 25 gallons in the aux tank. I do about 400-500 miles a day on the long trips and fill at the end of day wherever I like. I don't like the electric transfer pump - it's kind of a pain. Looking for an in-line system but Dee Zee doesn't have the adapter yet for the 2020's. I love the combo toolbox/fuel tank but getting awful close to my weight limits. If I lose 20 pounds from the waistline I can carry a few more gallons of fuel
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #71
WOXOF

M.O.C. #23616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
WOXOF both my Ford F-350 long boxes had 48 gallon tanks unless I misread everything. My old 7.3 Ford had a 38 gallon which was good sized back at the turn of the century. My 48 has worked out well, I am not saying that I would not like a 60 plus gallon tank until it was empty and I had to fill it up. I like the actual tank replacements, but they are spendy.

Tom
Dam Worker - I was incorrect and it was a 48-gal tank. Thanks for the catch!
WOXOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #72
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We all travel differently ... some to see the country, others for work ... but the following 2 questions relate to both scenarios.
Question 1 ... just by reading thru this, why do so many have such anxiety over stopping for fuel? It's easy peasy.
Question 2 ... can most of you day in day out really get 250 - 300 miles out of your wife/copilot before she/he has to take a powder or munch on something?
I'm not grinding on all the guys with 600-1000 miles worth of fuel storage ... I just have always asked myself the above 2 questions while reading about fuel on any RV forum I'm on.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #73
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
We all travel differently ... some to see the country, others for work ... but the following 2 questions relate to both scenarios.
Question 1 ... just by reading thru this, why do so many have such anxiety over stopping for fuel say twice a day? It's easy peasy.
Question 2 ... can most of you day in day out really get 250 - 300 miles out of your wife/copilot before she/he has to take a powder or munch on something?
I'm not grinding on all the guys with 600-1000 miles worth of fuel storage ... I just have always asked myself the above 2 questions while reading about fuel on any RV forum I'm on.
For me, the answer to both questions is that stopping for just a break is usually less stressful and time consuming than stopping for fuel. On interstates there are nice rest stops, and on "back roads" there are also usually options for rest stops, like picnic areas or other turnouts. Much more leisurely and if you travel with pets or kids you have more options to let them exercise as well.

YMMV

Brad
Old 12-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #74
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcockerham View Post
Replacing OEM tank with 50 gallon tank doesn't gain much. Why not add 50 gallon Aux tank plumbed in to fill hose. Probably cost less overall and you gain 50 instead 12.
Gains me 18 gallons, megacab only have a 32 gal tank.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #75
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Anklam View Post
We put the 50 gallon Titan tank on our 2013 F350 and have never looked back. There is a calibration app to install in trucks computer that gives mpg to empty, etc! Very accurate, works like factory installed!
I’m going to talk with my tuner and see if they can change the calibration to 50 gal

2017 3160 RL
Old 12-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #76
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Question 1 ... just by reading thru this, why do so many have such anxiety over stopping for fuel? It's easy peasy.
We’re one of those that travel to destinations for work so we make miles per day, less stops = better time. The gold is 500 per day so the 50 gal tank will reduce fuel stops, so #1 for me these no anxiety it’s more like reducing fuel stops. When we do vacation it’s still about getting to our destination.

#2 is yes she and I can but we don’t make 250 miles on a tank more like 180 average for a safe range. We do stop and rest stops and take short breaks when fueling.

Someday we will be able to just travel around with no deadlines to meet

2017 3160 RL
Old 12-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #77
Rjlg
Established Member

M.O.C. #27708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
I think I've got you all beat--in a bad way. I have a 2006 Duramax with the original 18 gal tank. Yup, 18 gal. I've run it down to fumes and never put more than 17.6 in it. I'm lucky to get 150 miles between fuel stops and, yes, it's a real pain. I'm looking at either a replacement tank or an aux tank in the bed. The tanks for the bed are cheaper and I've found so far that we don't need the bed space since we pack most things in the trailer. I want one that is short enough to use my tonneau cover when not towing. I see several people who mention they have replaced their OEM tank with a transfer tank. If that's the only tank you have, what is it transferring to?
Transfer flow is the manufacturer. Put a 50 gallon tank in place of my stock 26 gallon. Hangs about 3 inches below the frame. Not a big deal.
Rjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #78
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
For me, the answer to both questions is that stopping for just a break is usually less stressful and time consuming than stopping for fuel. On interstates there are nice rest stops, and on "back roads" there are also usually options for rest stops, like picnic areas or other turnouts. Much more leisurely and if you travel with pets or kids you have more options to let them exercise as well.

YMMV

Brad
Right on, plus if driving on the less traveled and populated roads your pulling a bathroom behind you.

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #79
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Thanks for giving a few alternate viewpoints to my questions. Keep them coming. We occasionally travel or meet up with a very nice couple on say 1100 mile one way trips. He has never scuffed his fiver or truck when fueling up, but I kid you not if we have to stop in route to diesel up, he starts popping Rolaids like red hots about 20 miles out from our agreed upon fuel stop. He frets about getting into any fuel stop to the point of getting ill. I just wish I could come upon some analogy to help the guy out. He has a 38 gal tank and has to stop well before the fuel is out to accommodate his copilot.

I've always been lucky in that I know what "swing wide" entails, can pretty closely estimate clearance on fuel island canopies, and never have the "mysterious " disappearance of the R in my gear selector immediately after hooking up to the fiver. Oddly we seldom take advantage of traveling with a potty in tow. I'd guess my only remedy will be a funnel, can, and without question a lid for that can ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:00 AM   #80
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
That funny but not funny, the poor guy. I drove a over the road big truck waiting to get hired on my current job 22 years ago so when we hook up I’m automatically back in that driving setting mode. I preplan my fuel stops and layover for the evenings, with the apps for fuel stops these days it’s sooo much easier then looking at the fuel stop books and it’s easy for my wife/co pilot in training to help with.

My wife packs snacks and lunch’s which give us the option to eat while driving or at a rest area, and with wifi in the truck she is able to do shopping or what ever she wants to do.

I hope your travel buddy gets better and take some tips from you to help with his Rolaid habit.