Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2024, 04:07 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Water intrusion...

No, not in the camper, from the headliner of the truck:

2014 Chevy Diesel Dually, Long-bed, Crew Cab, 3500, Duramax, 6.6 L., one-ton.

It leaks water from the headliner when it rains, but I cannot reproduce it with a garden hose. Dealership / service called me just a bit ago and said the water is coming from around the lights on the roof. There are 3 of them on the front and 1 on the back of the roof (stop light).

They said, the rubber seals under the liight have dry rotted and allowing water intrusion. So, decided to just go ahead and get them all replaced and fixed up correctly.

The truck just turned over 101,000 miles. Decided since they have the truck to go ahead and have them inspect it real good. Found the front strut had slop in it, they can fix it and will do a new alighment.

The old truck has been a pretty good truck, it's such a towing beast, and I'm hoping to keep it at least another 100,000 miles and at least another 10 years. So, it's worth it to keep things fixed and running properly,.... even a drip from the head liner!

I would have never thought about dry rot on the TOP of the truck cab. Anyway, something to consider if you are driving an older vehicle, rubber parts do wear down!

Do through inspections of your "ride" and keep them safe. I'm keeping mine safe for you when I'm on the road, keep yours safe for me when you are on the road too! Pay due diligence to your ride as much as we pay due diligence to our Montana's!

Keep pushing those miles on down the road folk! Happy Camping!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 06:25 PM   #2
Rotnjonny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32150
A few notes from a former parts manager in medium / heavy duty truck business…. For many years, the cab lights have used a seal at the base of the lamp where it sits on the roof of the truck. With fleet vehicles, they typically sit outside most of the time with the roof being baked in the sun. In Florida and Texas particularly, we would see the seals start to break up after spending 8 or 10 years in the sun. They would dry out and then just start to break up.
Old 09-04-2024, 10:12 AM   #3
Jay & Bobbie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32306
Good information.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 08:16 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have a Sun roof and a leak. I replaced the glass seal. I'll now remove and reseal the roof lights too, just in case...
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2024, 01:10 PM   #5
DABOO77
Established Member

M.O.C. #32858
As a 40 + year career mechanic and shop owner, I can tell you the first thing I'd checked in your case is the lamp seals. Now if water comes down along the A pillar {between the windshield and door} I'd suspect the windshield seal. Also if your truck has an external mounted Onstar antenna on the roof don't forget that. Good luck - happy camping.
DABOO77 is offline   Reply With Quote