Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Front Cap Decals

First of all I have searched the forum and found a few topics on the subject but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for. We have a 2019 Montana High Country and the front cap faces west most of the time. Today I noticed the letters on the front cap are starting to peel up from the bottom. I know from past ownership of RV's that the decals do not last and tend to age poorly. I would however like to keep our current fiver looking sharp and am interested in a source for new front cap decals. Many of my searches have found a source for older rigs but not a 2019. Anyone know of a good source for decals for a 2019?

Old 10-01-2023, 07:15 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
First of all I have searched the forum and found a few topics on the subject but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for. We have a 2019 Montana High Country and the front cap faces west most of the time. Today I noticed the letters on the front cap are starting to peel up from the bottom. I know from past ownership of RV's that the decals do not last and tend to age poorly. I would however like to keep our current fiver looking sharp and am interested in a source for new front cap decals. Many of my searches have found a source for older rigs but not a 2019. Anyone know of a good source for decals for a 2019?
Contact any Keystone dealer. They can source them for you.
https://elkrv.com/collections/montana-graphics
Old 10-03-2023, 05:07 PM   #3
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Ordered these today from the Keystone Dealer. $58.00 plus tax and shipping. Should be here next week.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:09 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I replaced the front and rear decals on my 2007 after about 6 years. Under covered storage the rear was exposed to morning sun and the front to hotter afternoon sun. The rear had started to peel. The front was peeling and cracking.

The rear decals came off pretty easy using a heat gun and plastic scraper. Heat along one edge, use the scraper to lift that edge, then very slowly lift it as I heated along the rest of the decal. Too much heat and it will easily tear. Too little and it will not release. Used 3M Adhesive Remover to remove remaining adhesive.

The front decals not so easy. Because of the cracking they would not come off in large pieces. Just very small pieces. I bought a 3M Eraser Wheel and used a strong corded electric drill to remove the decals. Lot of work but did a good job. And the eraser wheel took off most of the adhesive. And again I removed the rest with the adhesive remover.

After removing the decals, there was a ghost image left on the cap making it easy to position the new decals. The larger pieces can be a bit of a challenge to work with and get placed and flat. Use plenty of water and keep them wet until in place or they will stick and be hard to reposition. I use a squeegee first to get the excess water from under the decals. But found it easier to use a small wet towel and it did a better job of smoothing them.

Google rv decal hinge method to see info and videos on installing large decals.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:06 AM   #5
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I replaced the front and rear decals on my 2007 after about 6 years. Under covered storage the rear was exposed to morning sun and the front to hotter afternoon sun. The rear had started to peel. The front was peeling and cracking.

The rear decals came off pretty easy using a heat gun and plastic scraper. Heat along one edge, use the scraper to lift that edge, then very slowly lift it as I heated along the rest of the decal. Too much heat and it will easily tear. Too little and it will not release. Used 3M Adhesive Remover to remove remaining adhesive.

The front decals not so easy. Because of the cracking they would not come off in large pieces. Just very small pieces. I bought a 3M Eraser Wheel and used a strong corded electric drill to remove the decals. Lot of work but did a good job. And the eraser wheel took off most of the adhesive. And again I removed the rest with the adhesive remover.

After removing the decals, there was a ghost image left on the cap making it easy to position the new decals. The larger pieces can be a bit of a challenge to work with and get placed and flat. Use plenty of water and keep them wet until in place or they will stick and be hard to reposition. I use a squeegee first to get the excess water from under the decals. But found it easier to use a small wet towel and it did a better job of smoothing them.

Google rv decal hinge method to see info and videos on installing large decals.

I picked up my decals yesterday at the Dealer. I have to admit I was a little confused about your installation method using water to install them until I got mine. They are mounted on 3m backing and they have a slick paper on the face. I now understand how you can either dry mount them or use soapy water to wet mount them as well. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:19 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
I picked up my decals yesterday at the Dealer. I have to admit I was a little confused about your installation method using water to install them until I got mine. They are mounted on 3m backing and they have a slick paper on the face. I now understand how you can either dry mount them or use soapy water to wet mount them as well. Thanks for the info.
I was concerned about the dry method with decals that large. When dry and they touch the cap they stick and can't be repositioned without completely lifting them off and trying again. With the wet method, if you keep the decal and the cap surface wet the decal can be moved without lifting it. Makes it easy to match the ghost image if you have one. Once squeegeed it will then not move.

Either way, the hinge method appears to be the best approach.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Take a good picture before removing the old decals. That will help in positioning and spacing the new decals.