Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2022, 01:56 PM   #1
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Winter South Eastern Stay

After retiring a couple months ago we want to go south to Florida or any other beach location for a month or two of winter relief. It’s impossible to find anything now for 2023. I would like to get suggestions on locations and nice camp grounds and when should we start looking? Camped a lot 20 years ago with almost never making reservations. It seems like it’s a full time job now even using RVLife to help.

Tree Top Turkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:08 PM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
You need to start now to narrow down where you want to stay, most RV Parks/Resorts will need a year or more advance reservations. We come to Navarre FL and stay a couple of weeks but I have to make reservations a year in advance.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
If you’re looking to be in one place for the entire stay, get on the waiting lists now. Life happens and there will be openings, the key is to get signed up. Problem is that by now there are a lot ahead of you. If you want to move around (like us) research some state and coe parks and be ready to book when the moment, and I mean moment, the booking window opens. I didn’t start to look until May last year and we were able to spend January just south of Clearwater, February in St Augustine, 2 weeks at a coe park in Ft Myers and 2 weeks on Tybee Island, near Savannah. When we were in Ft Myers, I signed up on a wait list for January ‘23 at a park and was told fat chance because they start filling their vacancies with 6 months, 5 months etc.looking for long term rentals and they were booked at that point. I left with the feeling of no way would we get in there. They called yesterday, I’m in for January. We are all set now for next winter for 3 months. You never know.
There’s availability, you just got to get on the lists, be willing to take what you can get to get your foot in the door, and fill in the gaps with some state campgrounds. You will end up with the advantage of seeing some different areas to refine your search next year. Good luck!
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:40 PM   #4
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I should have mentioned, if you can get in somewhere, most parks offer folks who stay a month or longer to sign up at check out for the same time next year, so it gets easier.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
Tree Top Turkeys
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30303
Good to know. Thanks
I actually had two weeks in January and they let me extend two more at Emerald Beach RV Park
Old 04-16-2022, 07:56 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Rather than Florida, why not some other location? Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Louisiana? All those states have coastlines, but all of these states, including Florida have State Parks, RV parks, and private campgrounds located more inland that are just as nice, probably a lot cheaper in price for campsites, and still within a day trip distance from the beaches.

Although it would be nice to camp at a park on the beach, the fact is, you most likely will not actually be parked on the actual beach at any campground. Every "beach" located State Park we've been to has always had a row of sand dunes between the campground and the actual ocean waters.

If reservations are THAT hard to get, then why not consider somewhere else where the demand and the tourism isn't so great?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #7
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
DutchmanSport is correct on the further north you go, the easier it is. I've already booked time at Myrtle Beach State Park for next April to explore that area a little on our way home from Florida. Booked it last week. There were several openings
Try Gulf State Park near Emerald Beach, Huge State Park, pool and I think they are even full hook-ups if you want that. Probably be tough to get something now, but for future reference. We stayed at Huntington Beach State Park south of Myrtle beach this year for a few days on the way home, very nice. I bet there is all kinds of room there for next winter (2 week max). it will be cool, but you won't have to shovel snow.