Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Six-Point Level Up Issue

On a recent trip while pulled off at a rest stop, I did my normal glance around the RV and surprisingly noticed my DS middle and rear jacks were extended. The middle one was wthin a Hal-inch of touching pavement with the rea only about half extended! Wow, chills hit me quick! After retracting, they go back up. With our remaining trip I stopped frequent to check with no issues.

I contacted LCI and addressed the problem. There only answer was some way the unit received some static electrical charge that made the circuits send fluid to the hydraulics but ultimately didn’t have any good reasons or answers, except leave rear jacks up for a few days and monitor.

A very scary scenario of what easily could have become a disaster! Anyone ever heard of such? My first and hopeful last time to get such a scare.

2018 3721RL Montana

glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Believe there is a seal that when it leaks, droppage occurs. Static electrical charge???
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:39 PM   #3
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
I had that happen to me it was the seals .
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:47 PM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Same here. Seal leaking allowing pass through of fluid.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:49 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
On a recent trip while pulled off at a rest stop, I did my normal glance around the RV and surprisingly noticed my DS middle and rear jacks were extended. The middle one was wthin a Hal-inch of touching pavement with the rea only about half extended! Wow, chills hit me quick! After retracting, they go back up. With our remaining trip I stopped frequent to check with no issues.

I contacted LCI and addressed the problem. There only answer was some way the unit received some static electrical charge that made the circuits send fluid to the hydraulics but ultimately didn’t have any good reasons or answers, except leave rear jacks up for a few days and monitor.

A very scary scenario of what easily could have become a disaster! Anyone ever heard of such? My first and hopeful last time to get such a scare.

2018 3721RL Montana
Whomever the person was at Lippert that told you this fishing story is clueless..

There are .. in fact.. a few things that will cause the DS mid/rear levers to lower while towing..

1. An external leak on the retract side lines on that side ( the black colored lines)
2. An internal leak on either the mid or rear leveler leg
3. Hydac valve for the DS mid/rear leveler either did not SEAT when the solenoid power to it turned off or the manual overide screw on that Hydac valve is not tight

I would start with a good visual inspection of the DS levelers and lines for leaks followed with several retract/extend cycles on the DS levelers to purge any air out of the system

If no leaks observed then I would verify that Hydac valve manual override screw is in fact closed all the way

If screw is closed slgihtly loosed and then retighten ( snug tight only )

I would then do an internal bypass leak check on the DS leveler legs ( PDF from Lippert)

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf

NOTE - the front LG has its own hydac valve and these are not connected to the DS or PS mid/rear levelers

Anything that occurs on either of the DS levelers will affect both DS leveler legs because they are connected in Tandem
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
A video I put together to explain the Hydac valves used on the leveling system and hydraulic slide out system that you might find useful

https://youtu.be/6p6BFcfkqg4
Old 04-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #7
WA_Steve
Established Member

M.O.C. #21079
Good discussion and links to info. Helpful! Thanks.
WA_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:04 PM   #8
Mr Mustang
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
A video I put together to explain the Hydac valves used on the leveling system and hydraulic slide out system that you might find useful

https://youtu.be/6p6BFcfkqg4
Hey Chuck, you're helpful tip is much appreciated, thank you bro! 🇺🇦✌🏻☮️
Mr Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:45 PM   #9
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Just FYI - the Hydac valves turn clockwise to open and counter clockwise to close.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:05 PM   #10
hobo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25221
We had the rear and one mid do the same.called a Mobil tech out and said needed new jacks and it would be two weeks before they would be in.I ratchet strap them up and loosen the fluid line to make it home 400 Miles.Took it to a shop and put new on under warranty no more trouble I hope.Was not a great trip
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:04 PM   #11
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Lippert Levelers Dropping

Thanks, guys for the responses. No doubt one of those times when the Lippert Tech was out of touch with the issue. Again thanks for the info and input.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #12
Rusty

M.O.C. #19788
Great advice Chuck S, I have had similar experience as this. It will surely help when it occurs again.
Thanks
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #13
Rusty

M.O.C. #19788
Last year, we had maintenance done on our 5th wheel. As a safety measure, tha tech switched the hydraulic control to "off" and forgot to switch them to "DS and ODS". Check those and make sure they are in correct position. That will cause the jacks to bleed down.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #14
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Whomever the person was at Lippert that told you this fishing story is clueless..

There are .. in fact.. a few things that will cause the DS mid/rear levers to lower while towing..

1. An external leak on the retract side lines on that side ( the black colored lines)
2. An internal leak on either the mid or rear leveler leg
3. Hydac valve for the DS mid/rear leveler either did not SEAT when the solenoid power to it turned off or the manual overide screw on that Hydac valve is not tight

I would start with a good visual inspection of the DS levelers and lines for leaks followed with several retract/extend cycles on the DS levelers to purge any air out of the system

If no leaks observed then I would verify that Hydac valve manual override screw is in fact closed all the way

If screw is closed slgihtly loosed and then retighten ( snug tight only )

I would then do an internal bypass leak check on the DS leveler legs ( PDF from Lippert)

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf

NOTE - the front LG has its own hydac valve and these are not connected to the DS or PS mid/rear levelers

Anything that occurs on either of the DS levelers will affect both DS leveler legs because they are connected in Tandem
We had our RV back out this weekend. On initial 50 mile trip, I checked the mid/rear jacks and they did not drop down. I thinking maybe just a one time issue with a seal not properly seating. Today on return trip, i noticed upon getting home, the DS middle hyd. Leveler was dropped down again approximately six or so inches. I have again double checked and found no leakage anywhere. Also reverified that the Hydac valves are closed. I did the LippertNOW TI-050 check on the DS mid leveler and had no fluid coming from the cylinder nor hose. Just as a double check, I also did the opposite leveler, followed by the two rear ones with no fluid coming from cylinder nor hose with the retract activated. I guess another call to LCI for next step. Meantime, since the pump isn’t activated during travel, I presume placing a strap to the foot and frame will prevent the foot from dropping?
Old 05-01-2022, 04:54 PM   #15
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Internal piston seal can indeed weep by between the piston rod and the cylinder and one would not see an external leak. Hydraulic shop can repair a ram or you could replace it with a new one.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:01 AM   #16
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If you try and use any sort of strap under one of those hydraulic leveler legs and it bleeds down the 2000 psi will break most straps... you performed the internal bypass test on the same side that the leveler leg bled down on.. did you also check the opposite side mid/rear leveler legs for internal bypassing?

The RETURN SIDE hydraulic lines ( black in color ) are ALL connected in tandem for the left and right side mid/rear leveler legs.. any leak on any one of the four will cuase an issue...

Thje EXTEND side circuits are separate and isolated from each other...
Old 05-02-2022, 07:19 AM   #17
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Yes, I ultimately did the leak test on both middle and rear with no leakage from the cylinders nor the hoses.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:10 PM   #18
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Just to bring my drifting jacks saga to a hopeful closure, I wanted to post an update. After numerous calls and discussions with no fewer than five LCI Techs, I think I now have my drifting jacks issue resolved. To briefly recap, my first LCI guy says he had never heard of a middle/rear jack drifting during transit! H'mm!! After my next trip having the same problem, I again contacted LCI on 3-4 occasions and always going to through the check the cylinder leakage on all six cylinders and never did I get the school book response that the cylinder was letting fluid out, when I had the extend hose disconnected and was doing the retract. Finally, realizing my front left jack had a very minor external leak (nothing significant, just enough to at times make a oily sheen down the outside, one tech advised it possible could be causing it. After pulling the jack and taking to to a local hydraulics shop for a rebuild and reinstalling, doing multiple extends/retracts to flush the air out, it seems to have resolved my middle (DS) and rear cylinder from drifting.

One of my LCI responses from a lady (first and only time to deal with an LCI female on the tech side), upon me describing my issues, immediately stated, "I think it is time to take it to a shop!" As I explained to her, I didn't have to call LCI to get that advice and if they couldn't assist in finding my issue, how was a RV Tech, when they probably would have been calling LCI, just as I was. Anyway, between a couple smart LCI, guys and my enduring push, I think it has been resolved. Now don't let someone tell you a front landing jack can't cause issues with the middle/rear jacks drifting.

Thanks for all you guys input and assist.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #19
littlespud
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1696
One more closure for me, finally. Had 3 jacks leaking from the seal, found out from a reliable source, they put the wrong size seals in the jacks, causing the leakage. Had 3 replaced, last summer, two new jacks that were sent to the dealer were "my opinion" were pulled from the defective shelve, and were sent to the dealer, they both leaked again, later a third jack started to leak, a new jack was ordered, and it was replaced 6 months after the first 2, it has not leaked, I must have gotten the replacement. Hopefully this will be the end of it. Now for the leveling, could not get the self-leveling to work, had to manually level. It took a couple of times with my dealer, with their personnel opinions to no avail. Finally, they call Lippert, for the support, they found when building the unit, they put the sensor and cable under the black tank, it broke the tie raps, which caused a short, they mounted it correctly, and it has never worked so perfect since I have owned the unit. Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:35 AM   #20
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks for a great post. So many times people post for help and you never hear back. Although I (fortunately) haven’t had this issue, it’s good to file in the memory banks. Great technical data and video, also.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote