Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2022, 07:27 PM   #41
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The issues you are seeing is across the board currently in the RV industry.. I have window shopped the last two years at the new stuff everytime the wife and I drive to the big city of Boise...

The craftsmanship just isn't there right now.. I hope that in the future it will be.. My 2014 will do...
The only way quality will return is by competition. Thor says, "oh, u don't like Montana?" Try Mobile Suites? We own that. Try airstream?, we own that too, jayco, kz. We own those ". They DONT CARE! WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER THOR OWNED PRODUCT. WE JUST CANCELLED THE SALE ON A MOBILE SUITES. THOR OWNED, WE RAN..

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:28 PM   #42
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
The only way quality will return is by competition. Thor says, "oh, u don't like Montana?" Try Mobile Suites? We own that. Try airstream?, we own that too, jayco, kz. We own those ". They DONT CARE! WE WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER THOR OWNED PRODUCT. WE JUST CANCELLED THE SALE ON A MOBILE SUITES. THOR OWNED, WE RAN..

Try Forest River and Winnie too ~~~ all the same! Prevost ~~ not much different at $2.7 million. So, keep what you have, buy, or stay home you will save fuel money too.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:26 AM   #43
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Try Forest River and Winnie too ~~~ all the same! Prevost ~~ not much different at $2.7 million. So, keep what you have, buy, or stay home you will save fuel money too.
Winnebego industres is another that owns several brands like Gran Design.. I may have found out on my own why our big slide is giving so many problems. We have the hydraulic large slide. THE slide is kept in sync by a cross bar between two gear packs. On the lippert website it shows a plastic piece that is inserted into the x bar, a special bolt with limited threads and a special nut. We had no plastic insert, to keep the bolt from metal contact by the cross bar. Maybe this why the bolts were shearing?. We had a regular bolt and nut as well.
Also fiund a black water tank one piece. . So yes, I'm trying to fix this one as new ones are pretty expensive. Thanks
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #44
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
You did the right thing. For the kind of money the dealers are asking, the unit should be perfect. We have looked, too, and haven’t found anything that could take the place of our 2006 2955RL.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:26 PM   #45
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
WOW

I'm sorry that happened! You might find a nice rig for sale that someone bought and decided they couldn't use it. I see lots of them for sale on FB. People purchased during COVID and now realize it's not for them... Best of luck!
Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:31 PM   #46
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I just got to say...this is the 7th trip out in our rig that was born in January 2022 and I'm amazed at how well it's performed! Sure I have a laundry list of minor items but so far I'm pretty happy. Mine must have been assembled on a Tuesday.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:00 AM   #47
kully542
Established Member

M.O.C. #30379
i herd they are just as bad. we have freinds with a luxe and its in idiania for the next 3 wks .and they had problems in fl as well.. they are all junk when there junk. and all good when there good ..
kully542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:17 AM   #48
snowmanfx4
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21279
We had to take ours back to the factory. They had it for about 6 weeks but fixed everything that was wrong with it. Great people to work with.
snowmanfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:24 PM   #49
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanfx4 View Post
We had to take ours back to the factory. They had it for about 6 weeks but fixed everything that was wrong with it. Great people to work with.
Love to hear that!
Old 05-31-2022, 10:22 PM   #50
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
..............these threads make me love my 2006 29RL a bit more.no real problems yet and
bouhgt it in 2019..........steady and forward going!!
RICH LAZZ
2006 29RL
2020 DODGE 3500 LONGHORN
Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #51
tcmontana62

M.O.C. #30774
Keystone products are garbage and the company doesn't stand behind what they make. I know the industry is all basically like that but we have had nothing but troubles with our Montana. And Keystone customer is the worst!
tcmontana62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:58 PM   #52
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lazz View Post
..............these threads make me love my 2006 29RL a bit more.no real problems yet and
bouhgt it in 2019..........steady and forward going!!
RICH LAZZ
2006 29RL
2020 DODGE 3500 LONGHORN
We are the same way. We bought a very lightly used 2002 3280RL in 2019 at a reasonable price, and so far so good with the camper. I’ve had to fix a few things, but its 20 years old, and didn’t cost me 70+ thousand. A lot of work I’ve done has been to upgrade suspension, etc. I still haven't spend anywhere close to what a new one cost.

If I was buying a new one I’d be looking at Alliance. Right now they are new, and are building to prevent common reoccurring problems. Not saying they couldn’t be just as bad, considering 90% of the parts used are the same no matter what brand you get.

Even the Class A pushers are going down hill, which I partially believe is because most brands are owned by only a couple of parent companies in the industry.
Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #53
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
You did the right thing. For the kind of money the dealers are asking, the unit should be perfect. We have looked, too, and haven’t found anything that could take the place of our 2006 2955RL.
We agree 100%. We have owned 4 RV's and 2 large cruising boats over the past 29 years. When we decided to give up boating and buy a 5th Wheel we started looking at new and used for 6 months with cash in hand. You would not believe the BS we heard from salesmen and all the promises made when they learned it was a cash purchase. One morning as the wife and I were getting ready to head out and continue searching for the right unit my neighbor ask me if I was still looking for a nice 5th wheel. I assured him I was and he mentioned a friend that had a one owner 2005 Montana 2955RL that had 7 trips on it and was stored inside his heated shop since the day he bought it that might be interested in selling. Got his number and immediately went look at it. It was virtually flawless with the exception the propane tanks were only half full.

Fast forward 6 months and here I am sitting in New Concord, Ohio and have about 3500 miles of an 8400 mile trip on it. Couldn't be happier, enjoying updating many of the systems, looking at a MORryde 4000 suspension upgrade and bought their Rubber Pin Box plus we already installed an inverter to power up our Starlink satellite system. It seems the quality of the 2005 model is pretty sound and for the most part have costs way less then a good late model used one would cost me. With the improvements I have done, including new Microwave, 2 32" Smart TV's, new MORryde rubber pin box bought but not yet installed and new couch and 2 recliners I have yet to spend $25k.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #54
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Joint Venture, I love to hear stories like that.

People should do their homework before shelling out 100K. Regardless of the workmanship, your choices are limited if you want to trailer camp. You can spend 800K for a class A and have the same problems. After 7 trailers I have learned to accept that things break. Dragging your house behind you in a constant 5.0 earthquake will cause things to break. Complaining about it does nothing. I understand the need to vent but better to ask others about their experiences and discuss options. My best suggestion to all new trailer owners is to make friends with your service department. Bring them a box of doughnuts. Say please and thank you. I stopped at the dealer today to get something out of my trailer. Sean, the Service Manager had to move 2 trailers to get to mine. Afterwards I said thank you and he shook my hand. I've had my trailer 7 months. It's been out 12 times and in the dealer 6 times. By the end of the year it will have been rung out and ready!
Old 09-23-2022, 09:17 PM   #55
Flashracer
Established Member

M.O.C. #30102
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanfx4 View Post
Wish I could have done the same. Mine must have built the day before a Holiday.
Flashracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:29 PM   #56
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I think there are some short memories out there! Remember the decal peeling problem, the tanks falling out and/or splitting nightmare, the screws coming through the roof material, the Goodyear marathon tires exploding, the electric jacks burning out, the window blind strings breaking, the plastic sinks cracking, and on and on. My 2017 was a hazard on the road until I replaced the suspension with IS. My 2008 was not trouble free. I sympathize with new owners who have defects both large and small but in my humble opinion," it was ever thus".
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:23 AM   #57
Cherokee
Established Member

M.O.C. #29650
Lessons learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artfuldodger View Post
I think there are some short memories out there! Remember the decal peeling problem, the tanks falling out and/or splitting nightmare, the screws coming through the roof material, the Goodyear marathon tires exploding, the electric jacks burning out, the window blind strings breaking, the plastic sinks cracking, and on and on. My 2017 was a hazard on the road until I replaced the suspension with IS. My 2008 was not trouble free. I sympathize with new owners who have defects both large and small but in my humble opinion," it was ever thus".
You would think that after all these years with such problems stated above, the RV Industry would have adjusted their production with the lessons they have learned. Their ultimate goal is to produce a product with the less inexpensive parts and get the most profit. The dealers have found ways to string you along until you just cave. I’m waiting on parts, Covid, can’t get anyone to work, warranty doesn’t cover that and so on.
The price went up so the expectations of what you are buying for the price naturally goes up. Not the case.
It really doesn’t have to be like this.
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #58
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
So sorry do give up call the factory
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #59
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmontana62 View Post
Keystone products are garbage and the company doesn't stand behind what they make. I know the industry is all basically like that but we have had nothing but troubles with our Montana. And Keystone customer is the worst!
Glad someone else has the same opinion as I do.
raygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:27 PM   #60
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
So, what do you pull now......I'm new to the RV thing, bought a 2006 29RL and thinking I'll keep the good luck I've had. And you?
Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote