Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Fresh water overflow in 2022 High Country

New unit, so I wanted to decontaminate the fresh water tank and lines with a light, diluted bleach mixture. Started filling the fresh tank and looked around for the overflow. This is where I would do a gravity feed of water in my 2020 HC. Nothing on the side! Just the 50 amp power receptacle.

Where would the water overflow to? And where could I do a manual fill if needed? Scratching my head...

Old 03-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
No way to do a manual fill as you are wanting to do. Some folks say they can use the overflow vent, but if you insert a hose and it's tight, it will create an air lock vacuum and then you won't be able to fill anything. No, you have to use the water hose hook ups.

There are a couple ways to add water to your fresh water tank that is NOT a gravity fill method. You can pump your sanitizing solution through your winterizing port and get the solution into the fresh water tank.

Or, you can pump the solution with an external water pump from a bucket of water, container of water, or a barrel of water which creates pressure same as using shore water from a spigot.

What you have to do to fill the fresh water tank tank using the campers own resources. You attach a hose to your sanitizing port with the other end of the hose in your sanitizing solution, same as winterizing. Next, connect the blue coiled outside shower hose in your convenience center / wet bay to the garden hose hook-up and flip the valve to the "fill" position. Next, turn on the cold water faucet from the on the shower and next, turn on your on board water pump.

The water / solution / RV antifreeze, whatever, will start pumping from it's container into the winterizing port. It will circulate the system and exit the outside shower (which is connected to the water tank fill port). It will then start pumping into the fresh water tank.

Once you've added your solution to the fresh water tank, go ahead and disconnect everything, and simply fill your fresh water tank with water directly from the shore water spigot.

If you want the sanitizing solution to be a proper mixture, then you'll need to add the solution really strong, let it flow into the fresh water thank. Then when you add clean fresh water to the water tank, it will dilute it to it's correct amount (whatever you want that to be).

Now you have your water tank filled with sanatizing solution. Simply turn on your on-board water pump again, disconnect shore water, and pump the solution through all your faucets, hot and cold. Once it starts flowing. Shut the faucet off. Let it sit in the water lines for a few hours, and then flush everything out to get rid of the chlorine taste.

This is how you can do it using everything on the camper itself. The only thing you need is a hose to attach to the winterizing port, and you'll need this anyway come winter so you can winterize.

This is also a very handy trick if your water heater ever quits working on both gas and electric at the same time. Set up the winterizing hose, boil water on your gas stove inside the camper. Add the boiling water to some cool water to make it a comfortable temperature. Then pump the water with with the winterizing port and you can take a very quick.... very quick ... warm shower. Turn on only one faucet at the shower. Not both.

Anyway, that's how you can do it. It sounds more complicated than it really is, but basically, it's the same as winterizing, all you do is attach the outside shower hose to your fresh water fill port.

Now, if you have endured this cumbersome explanation, here's what you are looking for, for your outside fresh water vent. When your water tank is completely full, water will come pouring out of this thing. You won't be able to miss it. That's how you know your tank is completely filled.

That half moon shaped thing is your vent. Here's what it looks like behind that half moon cover. The vent tube is way to small in diameter to insert another hose.

Since I'm rambling, I'll ramble a bit longer.

If you attach that blue coiled outside shower hose to your black flusher, also in the convenience center, you can turn the water pump on and pump water into your black tank, helping you at dump stations when the dump station water hoses will not reach the black tank flush hook up.

On mine, the black and grey dump valves and outlets are near the center of the trailer, before and aft the tires. But the convenience center is all the way to the front of the trailer. I have NEVER been able to use a dump station hose to flush the black tank because those hoses are always way too short. I learned I can simply attach the blue coiled hose to the black flush and pump it from my fresh water tank. No fear of back contamination, that's what that black tank anti-syphon device is for.

Just an FYI if you need to flush your black tank and don't have the hose to reach the water spigot.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #3
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Thanks Dutch, always appreciate your wisdom. Problem is that this unit does not have that half moon thing. My 2020 did, my 22 does not. Weird.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:34 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, OK. I would suggest then, fill the water tank until water starts coming out of somewhere? It has to have a vent somewhere otherwise you'd not be able to fill it. If they missed the vent hose, water should start coming out from under the trailer somewhere. Keep an eye on everything close, just in case it does overflow inside the underbelly and then turn your water source off quickly. If it does that, you know the manufacturers did not run the vent hose correctly. If water starts pouring off the roof, you'll know the vent went up.

That's what I'd do, even if it means things getting a little wet (just to clarify: a little wet). Again, first sign of water anywhere except through an outlet on the outside of the trailer, kill the water immediately. Then figure it out.

Good luck. I've never heard of anyone not having a vent somewhere?

Another thought:
Have you found the fresh water tank drain valve under the camper? If so, the vent should be somewhere in that area, if your tank is located up front, in the middle, or all the way in the back, it will give you a general idea where to watch for water.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:06 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
OK good buddy! I've been trying to figure this out. I've been scanning through YouTube videos and looking at photos of your model on-line. And here's something I found.

Here's a YouTube of your year and model. Jump to about 20:15 into the video, and hit pause at 20:26 on your computer to "pause". If you notice, this is showing a clear picture of the driver's side rear corner of the camper. There is your 50 amp plug and slightly above the plug and forward of the plug about a foot (may 18 inches) is the half-moon shaped vent. This is the same location as mine. Your tank is in the rear? Correct?

If that vent is not there, then I think something is wrong. Your next step should be to try filling and see where water comes out when full, and then contact your dealer if water comes out the underbelly.

YouTube Video, got to 20:26 and pause.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:06 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Your RV has to have an outside fresh water tank overflow vent, somewhere..

That said a much easier way to sanitize is...

Drain water heater and reinstall anode..
Remove city water hose and drain it out some
Pour in i cup of bleach in the hose and reconnect
Have water heater bypass on if you have an outside knob to do so..
If not then skip that step
Turn water on and fill fresh water tank about 1/4 full
Now turn city water off and select water valve for water pump use
Run water pump and open each fixture and run water a minute out of fixtures
Do the toilet as well

Now let the mixture sit in the lines for about 24 hours if possible
Drain water heater again and drain fresh water tank
Refill with water and run fixtures and your done

The step of allowing the mixture to set for several hours is KEY to give the FREE CHLORINE in the water lines to do its job
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
ChuckS, Wouldn't you want to fill the freshwater tank all the way to completely sanitize the system? I don't have the problems the OP has as my older unit has a gravity fill and a vent. When I sanitize, I want the entire freshwater tank as well as the lines full of the solution. I agree on letting it sit with the solution in it. Always leave mine at least overnight. Just part of the spring ritual.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:29 AM   #8
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Mr. Dutch, thanks as always for your hard work! What I see in the video is exactly what I'd expect to see on mine...but it's not there. Drove me crazy! Seems it's a manufacturing boo boo I'll have to have the dealer correct...wish me lick everyone!
Old 03-06-2022, 02:04 PM   #9
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
OK good buddy! I've been trying to figure this out. I've been scanning through YouTube videos and looking at photos of your model on-line. And here's something I found.

Here's a YouTube of your year and model. Jump to about 20:15 into the video, and hit pause at 20:26 on your computer to "pause". If you notice, this is showing a clear picture of the driver's side rear corner of the camper. There is your 50 amp plug and slightly above the plug and forward of the plug about a foot (may 18 inches) is the half-moon shaped vent. This is the same location as mine. Your tank is in the rear? Correct?

If that vent is not there, then I think something is wrong. Your next step should be to try filling and see where water comes out when full, and then contact your dealer if water comes out the underbelly.

YouTube Video, got to 20:26 and pause.

Just the 50 amp outlet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E99972CE-11FB-455D-B406-789B9A698E4C.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	11478  
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:05 PM   #10
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Well, OK. I would suggest then, fill the water tank until water starts coming out of somewhere? It has to have a vent somewhere otherwise you'd not be able to fill it. If they missed the vent hose, water should start coming out from under the trailer somewhere. Keep an eye on everything close, just in case it does overflow inside the underbelly and then turn your water source off quickly. If it does that, you know the manufacturers did not run the vent hose correctly. If water starts pouring off the roof, you'll know the vent went up.

That's what I'd do, even if it means things getting a little wet (just to clarify: a little wet). Again, first sign of water anywhere except through an outlet on the outside of the trailer, kill the water immediately. Then figure it out.

Good luck. I've never heard of anyone not having a vent somewhere?

Another thought:
Have you found the fresh water tank drain valve under the camper? If so, the vent should be somewhere in that area, if your tank is located up front, in the middle, or all the way in the back, it will give you a general idea where to watch for water.
My trailer has the vent right at the tank fill plug under the hatch locking lid
chessera2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #11
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessera2527 View Post
My trailer has the vent right at the tank fill plug under the hatch locking lid
i mean the tank fill cap
Old 03-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #12
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessera2527 View Post
i mean the tank fill cap
Thanks. What unit do you have?
Old 03-13-2022, 05:29 PM   #13
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
Thanks. What unit do you have?
i have a 3455SA with the water tank on the left rear
Old 03-14-2022, 08:00 AM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Back to your original question...

And where could I do a manual fill if needed?

You could fill it using the freshwater tank drain valve on the bottom.
I installed a garden hose shut off valve here for convenience.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:02 AM   #15
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I also have the 295 and no vent visible. Got me curious now. I'll have to look but it would make sense that it would be near the drain valve.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:12 AM   #16
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I also have the 295 and no vent visible. Got me curious now. I'll have to look but it would make sense that it would be near the drain valve.
Let me know what you find out! I can't currently get to mine.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #17
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
The idea of using the drain as a fill is a good option instead of the wear and tear on your pump. Home Depot here I come!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #18
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Back to your original question...

And where could I do a manual fill if needed?

You could fill it using the freshwater tank drain valve on the bottom.
I installed a garden hose shut off valve here for convenience.
this is really weird i would never buy a camper without a fill cap on the tank!!!
Old 03-14-2022, 02:50 PM   #19
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, locating your vent. See if this link helps:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=78752
You will have to read through and it also gives some good sanitizing tips.

For many years Montana has not had the old fill style. There are two ways to add water or other fluids - the fresh water fill port and the winterize port. Some have used a hose to pump from a 5 gallon Jerry can or other container to fill their fresh water tank when boondocking. Many of us have a simple harbor freight or other water pump and pump from containers or water bladders.

So, you could mix your bleach solution and pump the solution in using your built in pump and the Winterizing system, or buy a pump and use it and the fresh water fill. Hope this helps.

And last, at the top of the page is a search box. You can save yourself reinventing the wheel if you use it first to answer questions.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 04:35 PM   #20
chessera2527
Established Member

M.O.C. #26178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
First, locating your vent. See if this link helps:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=78752
You will have to read through and it also gives some good sanitizing tips.

For many years Montana has not had the old fill style. There are two ways to add water or other fluids - the fresh water fill port and the winterize port. Some have used a hose to pump from a 5 gallon Jerry can or other container to fill their fresh water tank when boondocking. Many of us have a simple harbor freight or other water pump and pump from containers or water bladders.

So, you could mix your bleach solution and pump the solution in using your built in pump and the Winterizing system, or buy a pump and use it and the fresh water fill. Hope this helps.

And last, at the top of the page is a search box. You can save yourself reinventing the wheel if you use it first to answer questions.
like i said no fill cap not buying it period !!!!