Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2022, 02:09 PM   #1
Debbie lockhart

M.O.C. #30909
Hot water heater not working

I own a 2007 Montana 5th wheel. My hot water heater will not run ever since I ran out of propane . I have replaced anode rod, cleaned up all areas in and around ignitor box.when I switch it on it acts like it wants to start then clicks off HELP!! I have been without hot water for 2 weeks now and I live full time in my 5th wheel

Debbie lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The anode rod has nothing to do with the operation of the water heater, it only is there to sacrifice itself to protect the steel tank from corroding. Obviously, if you are in the gas mode, you must have propane in the cylinders and have the valves open. You must also open the valves very slowly so you don't set the excess flow valves in the pigtails. Does the water heater work in electric mode? Oh, and welcome to the forum.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #3
Debbie lockhart

M.O.C. #30909
Thank you so much for responding. My hot water heater is ONLY run on gas so wierd because everything else in it runs on either electric or both.so yes I am full on propane. What should I check next?
Old 05-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is probably still air in the line. If you an get to gas line and you feel safe open it a little bit until you smell gas. If no gas cones out after a few minutes go cut off your propane tank shake it around a little and VERY slowly cut it back on.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie lockhart View Post
Thank you so much for responding. My hot water heater is ONLY run on gas so wierd because everything else in it runs on either electric or both.so yes I am full on propane. What should I check next?
This doesn’t help as far as working on propane. But my 2007 water heater worked on both gas and electric. BUT! There was no inside switch for operating on electric. It was operated on electric by going outside, removing the cover on the water heater, and turning on a little black switch at the lower left corner of the water heater.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #6
Debbie lockhart

M.O.C. #30909
I have a switch on the inside and outside of unit but I solely run on gas. Would replacing the igniting switch cute my problem you think? Because getting an RV repairman out to do work will cost me 300 just to look at it tokes
Old 05-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
There is a water heater manual in the files section

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...hp?do=cat&id=3

I don't know what model you have if you even have the option to run it in electric mode. If you do, electric mode is very simple and easy to troubleshoot.
The wiring diagram is on page 11.
Make sure the outside switch is on and press both reset buttons. Then try the inside switch again. If you have helper, let them turn on the inside switch while you listen for the igniter to click.
Some older models have a pilot light that must be lit manually before it will operate.
The manual walks you through those steps if that is necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater outside.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	11859  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
OK, just to be clear. My inside switch operated the WH on gas only. The outside switch operated the WH on electric only.

Do your stove burners light on gas?
Old 05-03-2022, 07:04 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Your water heater is capable of running on 12V with propane gas *OR* full 120V electric. If there is only one Water Heater switch on the control panel then it is for the 12V/Gas operation. The 120V electric only side is turned on/off by the black rocker switch in the lower left corner of the outside of the water heater (remove the cover to find it).

The 12V/Gas system has a "Gas Valve" that opens to let propane flow in response to the control board being activated (i.e. the switch is turned on). A little red LED next to the switch on the inside control panel illuminates until the burner ignites. Coincident with opening the gas valve, the 12V system tries to ignite the burner. You will hear it clicking much like a standard cigarette/stove lighter. If you hear clicking but no ignition the most common cause is the gas valve. More rare is failure of the circuit board.

The 120V all electric side is also pretty simple. The black rocker switch turns the system on. There is a 120V heater element inserted into the water heater that heats everything up. The most common faults here are either the 120V electric element was activated with no water on the tank (they then fry in seconds) or the black rocker switch has quit working. Replacement elements can be found at Lowes, Home depot, Amazon, etc. and rocker switches are available at any RV dealer.

Here are links to two manuals that can help diagnose both systems.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=57
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=56

There has been many Threads here on water heater repair. A Search will uncover them. If I were to guess, I suspect you have a bad solenoid on your gas for around $20 (https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-5210...59511884&psc=1) or the entire gas valve for around $120 (https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-1611...54068703&psc=1). Either one is pretty easy to replace if you are at all handy.

Here is just one Thread concerning the solenoid valve.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=57

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie lockhart View Post
You opened the valve too quick and that tripped the gas safety valve in the tank. Close all the valves, remove the pigtails or burn off the gas by turning on the gas range. Then open the valves VERY slowly.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #11
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Had a similar issue with our gas only hot water heater. It turned out to be the solenoid switches. There are two of them on the propane valve. They are easy to replace and only cost about $20.00. The problem could also be the burner tube and the opening that allows the gas into the burner tube. It can be plugged. When i replaced the solenoids i also replaced the burner tube. About another $12.00. Everything works fine. Check with an RV repair shop that sells parts. They can test to see if the solenoids are bad. Good Luck
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Again the question. Do your stove burners light on propane?