Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Inverter rewiring

We took delivery of our unit on 8/26. We camped Labor Day weekend with full hook-ups. After the first weekend of dry camping the weekend after Labor Day, we learned the factory installed 2000W Inverter/solar package left a little to be desired. Most of the time we camp, we are not plugged in. After a call to the dealer, the factory only wires the inverter to the refrigerator, an outlet on the counter next to the cook top and a outlet opposite the bed near the TV in the bedroom. This layout wasn't going to work. We need power to the living room TV, power recliners and ALL locations. So I started tearing down our 2 week old 3790 at the lake and reconfigured the main panel. I pulled all the circuits that I wanted on the inverter. I bought a 100A Homeline panel from The Home Depot for $17 and a few extra tandem breakers. I added separate circuits/breakers for the refer, microwave and vacuum and ditched the load sharing module. In total, I have 7 circuits on the inverter. I removed the 20A single pole transfer switch that came with the inverter and added a second 50A 2-pole transfer switch that is feed with a 30A 2-pole breaker in the main panel for generator and shore power feeds to the subpanel. While I was in there, I pulled the 3rd AC out of the second load sharing module and placed it on its own circuit so it's ready when I install the 3rd AC in the kitchen next year.

The subpanel is installed in the same void behind the main panel accessible by opening the cabinet door around the corner. I can run the microwave, vacuum, refer, any outlet as long as I stay under the 2000W limit of the inverter. On shore power or generator, those same circuits are limited by the 30A 2-pole breaker.

I purchased a remote turn-on switch for the inverter. I don't know why this isn't part of the package from the factory. I located in the side of the upper cabinet in the same mess of wires where the main panel is for the lighting/slide controls. I also took the time to relocated the generator switch from the front closet (who came up with this idea!?). I recycled the 5500W Onan from my 2006 Wildcat I sold. I ordered the gen prep only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_135144 (Medium).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	2371   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_135147 (Medium).jpg
Views:	244
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	2372   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_124906 (Medium).jpg
Views:	138