Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
skp911

M.O.C. #33445
How To Install a 3 Panel, 2 Lithium Battery System

I could use some advice on how to install a 3 panel , 2 lithium battery system for boondocking. How to choose a converter and inverter to match. Thanks for the input.

Steve

Mod Update: Post moved to a more appropriate Thread.

skp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:32 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Steven,

First, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new rig.

There are many good sources both here and on the web for info on upgrading your battery bank and solar.

Your first step is analyzing your power needs to determine what you need. What do you want to power and for how long? Build a budget (not $ but power needs).

Your battery bank should be the first step after determining a power budget. Plan on enough amp hours to run your desired load for 12-18 hours. Are you planning to camp in freezing weather? If so, your lithium batteries should included integrated heaters or added heat blankets. Include a good battery monitor in your plan.

Your solar set up should be large enough to recharge your battery bank with 6 hours or so of good sun. You can augment with a genny if you don't want to add a lot of solar up front. Even with plenty of solar you will want a genny for long periods without sun. If you decide to start small but plan to add more solar later consider buying a charge controller big enough to handle your end state vice replacing it later.

Your inverter size will be driven by how much you want to power at the same time - generally a 2000W or 3000W set up handles most situations. You may want to consider adding another circuit breaker panel if you want all your outlets powered off the inverter. If you decide to upgrade your inverter consider a hybrid inverter/charger vice a simple inverter.

Your 2018 converter will likely not have a lithium setting but it will still get the batteries up to 90% or so. You can use your solar to top them off.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 12:27 AM   #3
skp911

M.O.C. #33445
Thanks AZ for all the great info

Thanks Zack, I was able to locate the hidden converter and yes it is not designed for Lithium charging( Progresive Dynamics Inteli-Power Model PD9280, 1300 watt output 13.6VDC, 80 amps). My thoughts are to replace it with a Lithium charger of the same size. I have a conventional refrigerator that will tax the system so I think I'll choose a 3000 w inverter and add 2 100 amp LiTime lithium batteries. I'm sure they are not as good as the Battle Borne brand, but I purchased one last year for a smaller trailer and works great so far.
My next question is, Can I just switch out these 3 components and add the solar panels or is there anything else that needs to be configured into the system? My plan is to add 3 or 4 used 190 w panels. Please feel free to shoot holes in my if my thought process is off.

Thanks again, Steve
skp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 06:51 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Check out Will Prowse YouTube channel. He has tutorials from beginners to advanced systems.
Very easy to understand.

Here is a very well written piece on "How much solar do I need ..."
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sola...ibextid=Nif5oz

If I was doing mine again I would install unistrut rails on the roof then mount the panels on Renogy tilt mounts.
Installing unistrut rails will allow you to hit a rafter with every mounting screw.
With tilt mounting brackets you can lift the panels to clean under them and inspect the roof.
Also, if you have to change a panel or decide to upgrade them, it's easy to swap them out. You don't have to drill new holes in your roof.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:13 AM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by skp911 View Post
Thanks Zack, I was able to locate the hidden converter and yes it is not designed for Lithium charging( Progresive Dynamics Inteli-Power Model PD9280, 1300 watt output 13.6VDC, 80 amps). My thoughts are to replace it with a Lithium charger of the same size. I have a conventional refrigerator that will tax the system so I think I'll choose a 3000 w inverter and add 2 100 amp LiTime lithium batteries. I'm sure they are not as good as the Battle Borne brand, but I purchased one last year for a smaller trailer and works great so far.
My next question is, Can I just switch out these 3 components and add the solar panels or is there anything else that needs to be configured into the system? My plan is to add 3 or 4 used 190 w panels. Please feel free to shoot holes in my if my thought process is off.

Thanks again, Steve
Steve,

If you plan to add a larger inverter go with the hybrid I/C which will also replace the converter and includes an integrated transfer switch. If your conventional reefer is a RV gas/electric run it on gas while boondocking.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 02:49 PM   #6
Janice4545

M.O.C. #31263
Looking for info on installation of solar. Where is your post
Janice4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:12 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice4545 View Post
Looking for info on installation of solar. Where is your post
Welcome to the MOC. What model do you have. That would be helpful.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=88173
Old 10-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
SKP911, you have touched on a subject that has a lot of opinions and no right answers. Some good advice already, but I’ll chime in with my $.02. First, if you start with the end in mind, you will save money in the long run. The thing about Solar is it’s addictive. You’ll find with 3 panels and two batteries it’ll get you started. My advice is choose your provider first. Many but not all of us have Victron. All of their products integrate with each other. The Smart Shunt, which should be your first purchase, will integrate with Victron SCC’s. The Victron a hybrid inverter charger would be a great inverter that will future proof your install. A 3000 watt inverter/charger will cover your whole coach and also connect with the rest of the Victron family. We added 3 more panels this year and last year the Victron Cerbo. The Cerbo will provide WiFi monitoring of your coach and also connect to Mopeka Propane sensors and also SeeLevel gages. As you can see, you can really go down the rabbit hole. If you don’t want to do it yourself, I highly recommend Future Sales in Elkhart, Indiana. They do all of the Keystone Solar products. Just my opinions.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote