Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2023, 08:24 PM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Going up the drain line is going to be very messy regardless. I have cut my drain lines when replacing gate valves. It would be a little more work to drop the coroplast, undo the No-Hubs holding the drains together, and sliding the flush line up the correct drain. Like I said it will be messy, but you will know where the flusher is going.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 08:04 AM   #22
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
After reading through this I have to agree with Daryles. It seems you have a clog in the pipe between the toilet and tank. Use the bladder mentioned or a toilet wand, link below. When using the blabber I would push the bulb down below the floor to prevent blowing out the gasket.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ft-t...xoCbKgQAvD_BwE
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 09:00 AM   #23
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Smile

The hose has holes that spray to the rear of the nozzle. This propels the hose forward. Takes little more than pulling the hose back a foot or so and let it go, usually a couple of times and it will find it's way. It has one hole that sprays forward and at 3200-3500 psi is more than enough pressure to propel it self and break any lump and bumps it may encounter. I use a straight piece of clear sewer pipe with a hole drilled just big enough for the nozzle. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6W4S...t_details&th=1.

Then use one of these to back flush tanks, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O9DV78...roduct_details

Wish I could take credit for this , but this stuff is all over youtube.
Have a look.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:48 PM   #24
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingdownthehighway View Post
Ok, here is a new one. We're seasonal this year. I flush the black tank before we leave with the tank flush and the 'blaster', however, no paper is coming out, only 'clear' water. Yesterday the gauge was reading full, so I tried emptying it but only liquids came out, no paper. however, the gauge was bouncing from 1/3 to empty. I even raised the front as high as I could and still no paper. Now, there is water in the toilet.

Any thoughts on how to get it unclogged and get the paper out? Clear Liquids are draining, so it appears not to be 100% clogged, just no paper is coming out. We do put the stuff in the tank to break up everything, but after two flushes it can go from empty to 2/3 full. (I know the gauge is never 100% accurate).

I'm going to get the wand today and try and see if I can break it up anything in the tank, but any thoughts and anything I can try to get the paper released?
I have posted about this product before. Unique brand “Digest It” is a microbial black tank treatment that literally eats poo and breaks down toilet paper. It will also break down any poo pyramid. It helps keep your toiled gauges clean as well. It also kills all black tank odors. It is a liquid in a bottle and available from Amazon, Walmart, and other retailers. I have used it for the last four years and won’t go back to anything else. For your situation, follow the direction and maybe add an ounce extra. Fill your black tank 3/4 full and let it sit a few days and let the microbes do their thing. When you drain your tank you will likely not see any TP, and if you had solid waste or a poo pyramid, you should see just brown water. When camping, the instructions say NOT to flush your black tank as you flush all the microbes with it. Just add back 3-5 gallons of water, add more treatment per direction, and you are ready to go. You can also use this product in your grey tank. Flush your black and grey tanks when putting your rig back in storage. If your issue is in the pipe between your toilet bowl and your holding tank, a wand and hot water might be your best option. Once you get things cleared up, I highly recommend using this product on a regular basis and you should not have any clog or stink issues in the future. Hope this helps
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:05 PM   #25
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Here's another sewer jetter for $28.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9SK71FS...lig_dp_it&th=1
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:09 PM   #26
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
It sounds to me like the pipe from your toilet to your tank is plugged up.
I think you need to clean this pipe before you worry about cleaning the tank. With all the water shut off to the trailer, fill your tank with hot soapy water and push down on your toilet foot valve and leave it open somehow. Let that sit for several hours and see if that will break up the clog. Once that pipe is clean, use the recipe from a previous post and let that sit in your tank overnight and then even drive around to agitate it and then try dumping. .
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:33 PM   #27
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
What I have done is turn the water heater from electric to the gas setting, then turn off the toilet water "behind it", then remove the shower head and stick the shower hose in the toilet. "just a little" The valve that opens when you press the pedal will hold the shower hose when you release it, turn on the hot water "only" I set the timer for 10 min. Then I stand by and continue to fill while I watch it I know the sound it makes when it is getting close to full. Then wait about 1/2 hour while the hot water does it's thing, then drain it, whoa you won't believe. It also cleans the sensors. Start with as empty of a tank as you can waste water wise.
Wellplayedsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:42 PM   #28
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I have posted about this product before. Unique brand “Digest It” is a microbial black tank treatment that literally eats poo and breaks down toilet paper.....
I am a BIG fan of Unique also!!!!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #29
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
Quote:
Update:

Ok, here is an update of what I’ve done (for 2 hours) and still clogged/not draining anything but water

I got to the camper, opened the toilet lid and I saw TP at the toilet opening. I got the wand, I put the wand down the toilet l, tinted the water on, however, it started to backflow intro the bowl and the bowl started filling up and not draining.

I opened the drain and clear water drained out.
I then ran the hit tank flush with hot water. I let it sit for a bit, then I raised the nose as high as it could go, and nothing, just clear water gushed out. I tried the wand again and same thing, I can put the wand all the way down, turned it out and again, it started filling the bowl with the ‘stuff’, I opened the drain outside and clear water drained out.

I did this a few times and no paper or ‘stuff’ is draining, only clear water.

Is there anything I can use like a jet wash or something I can connect to my pressure washer and put that up the drain pipe and try to clear it that way?
Many of us have been where you’re at right now. We helped our daughter by letting her live in our 5er for 9 months. I gave her a crash course on using everything, but we received a Pooh clogged RV back…. As stated previously WATER is your friend with the holding tanks. When flushing the toilet, hold the foot plunger for a count of 15-20 and it adds water to the black tank. There’s all sorts of products on the market, but water is still your friend. Our best purchase has been a Valterra Flush King, a 9” clear sewer tube and a water meter which connects to the water input valve on the Flush King. Next thing is to know the exact gallons capacity for each tank. After that, it’s time to try it out. First time using the Flush King I recommend having someone inside the bathroom watching the toilet so it doesn’t over flow. My black tank is 50 gallons. The first time I used the Flush King I put 30 gallons in and then pulled the valve. I cringed at what came out, but did this about 15 times while I increased the input gallons up to 45 without overflowing the toilet. I did the same for both Grey Water tanks. Now when we travel, I put in 48 gallons into the black and do this 3-4 times. The last time is generally clear and my sensors are now showing empty. For less than $75 for the 3 items, we have a great way to confidently dump.
Sorry for such a long reply. This is a long video, but great info in it. It’s a video called: RV Black Tank Cleaning, Maintenance, Tips & 7 Mistakes To Stop Doing NOW!
https://youtu.be/fs7YE9hmD7k?si=nl7UVhmbZEGn0d9K
randerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 03:56 PM   #30
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Jetting is the answer

I jet black tanks part time. From what you describe and if it is not drain gate related. You've got a good one. The Amazon jetter kit will do the trick. This is something you definitely can do on your own. Jet from the toilet into the tank. A good percentage of Montys have Ts inline in the main drain pipe making it damn near impossible to jet outside in.

You'll be amazed at how well it works.
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:28 PM   #31
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is a photo of how our tanks are drained through the plumbing. The black tank is the far tank and the grey closest. The 3" exits the drop belly area and drains to the driver's side, so very hard to see how a flexible pipe could be snaked into the black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank drain piping.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	15519  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:24 PM   #32
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
You don't leave your black tank open all the time, do you? If you, you may have a pyramid of solid waste below your toilet. If so, you may be able to break it up with a toilet blaster.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl...81&sr=8-2&th=1

Worth a try.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:29 PM   #33
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Rrohrman - Your setup is exact to mine. No way to get in thru the drain line for sure.

I have to jet thru the toilet into the tank.

Once in. I spend about 10 or 15 minutes running the jetter throughout the tank. The very first time I did it was amazing the amount of sludge and crud that was removed. Prior to cleaning we had an odor that nothing would get rid. Built in flush would always run clean flush after a dump. After the cleaning no issues at all. Now I jet clean once a year and use water only. No issues at all
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:04 AM   #34
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
We had this problem once in a camper we had just purchased before a vacation trip to the beach. After a few days at the beach the toilet would no longer flush. I tried the water wand with no success. It had the dreaded "pyramid" clog right under the toilet.
What did work was, turn off the water, hold the toilet valve open with my foot, then shoved a tape measure (it's all I had) down the toilet and keep shoving it back and forth until the pyramid started to break up. I worked the tape measure around for a good ten minutes. Just kept pushing it back and forth in all directions. Not a fun job to do on vacation, but it did work.
Good luck.
Old 09-18-2023, 06:05 AM   #35
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Update:

We got it unclogged. I got a cold water PVC pipe around 10' long and shoved it down the toilet, and boom, let it flow. . . . . I then ran the black tank flush multiple times and more came out. I then ran the blaster a few times a well and more came out with that as well with each run.
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:17 AM   #36
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Update:

We got it unclogged. I got a cold water PVC pipe around 10' long and shoved it down the toilet, and boom, let it flow. . . . . I then ran the black tank flush multiple times and more came out. I then ran the blaster a few times a well and more came out with that as well with each run.
Try using Scotts toilet tissue it breaks down on it`s own (don`t care what the girls want to use they don`t have to solve this nasty problem) and a lot more water per flush and you won`t have this problem again.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 07:24 AM   #37
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Try using Scotts toilet tissue it breaks down on it`s own (don`t care what the girls want to use they don`t have to solve this nasty problem) and a lot more water per flush and you won`t have this problem again.

We've been using that since our first TT and still use. Still not sure what really clogged it up. If it was the TP or something else. We fill the bowl up, go, flush, fill again and flush again and fill the bowl for the next time. Plus I keep the tank about 1/2 full (per the gauges). I never empty it completely (per the gauges) Been doing that since our first TT as well. Just not sure of the actual cause yet.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:20 AM   #38
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I am also a user of Scotts TP. Find it at any Walmart. Most of the time I can go 5-7 days with 2 of us. I also back flush 2 or 3 times each dump. I run the hose 3 to 5 minutes (since I don't have a flow meter) and flush each time. Do this until water comes out mostly clear(er). 18 years and have never had a clog.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 10:28 AM   #39
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I am also a user of Scotts TP. Find it at any Walmart. Most of the time I can go 5-7 days with 2 of us. I also back flush 2 or 3 times each dump. I run the hose 3 to 5 minutes (since I don't have a flow meter) and flush each time. Do this until water comes out mostly clear(er). 18 years and have never had a clog.

That's what we've been using for years,(in our TT's and now the Monty) the Scotts RV/Marine TP you get at WM. We've been camping for 18 years and never had a clog like this at the toilet itself, maybe a small one but broke free after a few flushes, but nothing like this one. This is the first year we did a seasonal site with the Monty. When I drain, I run the flushes for some time, 30 min or so back and forth with that and the 'blaster' or until clear water comes out. Hopefully this is the last one we encounter.
Old 09-20-2023, 11:30 AM   #40
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
My neighbor was emptying his black tank this morning and he had a perplexed look, I said it's easy just pull the black handle. He said I think I have what they call a pyramid, so I gave him the link to this thead. and as I was tanking to him I noticed a Home Depot 5 gal bucket. I said humor me so I filled it with water and poured it as fast as I could down the toilet. I could hear him yell It Worked so I did that three times and it cleared up, with that rush of 5 gallons of water something had to give.
Wellplayedsir is offline   Reply With Quote