Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 09:32 PM   #1
54telluride
Established Member

M.O.C. #25266
Wind

Saw this over the holidays at the storage lot. Seems like a good idea but unsure about noise and high winds. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84E11DFB-7025-4B61-B734-27C04A803CF4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	8184  

54telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:28 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
well swing by he storage lot on a windy day. Bet it is quieter than teh whisper quiet AC.
And that would also answer the question about how it is in high winds
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Birds just love those.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I bet they get a "charge" out of that when driving down the road at 60 mph!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I was going to do this. It makes more sense than solar. It provides power day or night and you don't have to park in non shaded areas. Besides they are a ton cheaper than solar.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Dave_W, I think you are in wrong forum thread here.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Dave_W, I think you are in wrong forum thread here.
F.Y.I. Dutch... I moved his post to the Thread where it belonged.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Oh well, 'things' happen. Thanks Carl
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I was going to do this. It makes more sense than solar. It provides power day or night and you don't have to park in non shaded areas. Besides they are a ton cheaper than solar.
Wind charging was a mainstay on sailboats for decades, but it has been largely replaced by solar.
Each has their drawbacks and you forgot to mention those that apply to wind power.
- The most obvious is that wind power needs wind to work effectively. And not the kind that ripples a few leaves, most need a stiff breeze to do much charging (the popular AirX wants 25mph+ for optimal charging and will hardly charge at all if less than 10mph). Depending where you live that might be a deal breaker.
- wind power is noisy. I looked into these for RV's a number of years ago, but at that point they were far too noisy for me; noisier than most generators. I think you'd get complaints from neighbors in an RV park, and not have many neighbors when boondocking.
- they are mechanical devices that will require far more maintenance than solar panels. There are bearings and a generator motor. They need to be protected from too much wind and some can self destruct.
- they are quite large - 3' blades or larger. And that is to get a 400 watt model. So, they need to be away from everything and on a sturdy pole.

So it's not hard to see why many have moved away from them - a couple of solar panels will put out far more power than a large, noisy, needs maintenance wind generator.

Perhaps there are newer generations of wind chargers that are much quieter, but I'd recommend checking that out before making a purchase and weighing all the pros and cons.

hth
Brad
Old 01-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Hope he takes it down when on the road, low bridges, etc.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #11
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
A lot of cruising sailboaters complain about the noise v. solar.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Actually, one of those is equal to 2 solar panels of the 2'x5' size. Cost of everything downstream of the wind turbine or solar panels are almost identical. Same batteries, same inverter/charger, slightly different charge controllers but price should be about the same. All the misc. wires, breakers and switches are identical. There is one issue that is often overlooked, the wires from the turbine or solar panels need to be as direct as possible to the charge controller which must be very close to the batteries. As you can see in the picture, the wind turbine is as far away as possible from the basement area that will contain the charge controller. This will cost money for bigger wires and also reduce efficiency/power. Also, 2 of my 180W panels cost the same as a 400W turbine.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
Actually, one of those is equal to 2 solar panels of the 2'x5' size. Cost of everything downstream of the wind turbine or solar panels are almost identical. Same batteries, same inverter/charger, slightly different charge controllers but price should be about the same. All the misc. wires, breakers and switches are identical. There is one issue that is often overlooked, the wires from the turbine or solar panels need to be as direct as possible to the charge controller which must be very close to the batteries. As you can see in the picture, the wind turbine is as far away as possible from the basement area that will contain the charge controller. This will cost money for bigger wires and also reduce efficiency/power. Also, 2 of my 180W panels cost the same as a 400W turbine.
On the other hand, wind may be available day or night. They may produce less power but they can produce at all hours. I figure that one shade tree is worth one air conditioner. And, as power is produced at night it would reduce the need for battery capacity which could offset the added cost of wiring as you suggested. There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I'm not opposed to solar but the technology now is similar to the old 10' satellite antennas of years past. Everyone wanted one then but look at what they have now.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #14
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
On the other hand, wind may be available day or night. They may produce less power but they can produce at all hours. I figure that one shade tree is worth one air conditioner. And, as power is produced at night it would reduce the need for battery capacity which could offset the added cost of wiring as you suggested. There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I'm not opposed to solar but the technology now is similar to the old 10' satellite antennas of years past. Everyone wanted one then but look at what they have now.
Sorry but I have to disagree with a lot of this...

I disagree with the premise the battery capacity and wiring would be reduced using wind versus solar. Wiring needs to be sized according to the output of the generator, whether solar or wind or a gas powered one. Undersizing the wire is not only inefficient, it could be dangerous. And batteries are sized according to average energy needs when little or no power generation is happening. ie the wind doesn't always blow either.

Wind generators want 25 mph winds; how many locations have that day and night? While I can think of a few areas like that (very few), they are not areas I would want to be around for very long.
OTOH, areas with lots of sun? Yes please.

Last, to compare current solar to early generation satellite TV antennas seems to have missed a lot of solar system improvements. For an example, and just one, solar panel efficiencies have almost tripled.

Perhaps there are still some who may find wind works for them, but I suspect most will find solar to be far more effective and a better value, all things considered.
And, for some, neither is an ideal solution. YMMV

Brad
Old 01-14-2021, 05:58 AM   #15
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
While we are all just speculating here. I'll toss in my $0.02

She bought it at a garage sale for pennies on the dollar
She just uses it to keep her battery topped off.
She only uses it while in storage
It is in storage so she doesn't care about the noise.
she is happy with how it works.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
While we are all just speculating here. I'll toss in my $0.02

She bought it at a garage sale for pennies on the dollar
She just uses it to keep her battery topped off.
She only uses it while in storage
It is in storage so she doesn't care about the noise.
she is happy with how it works.
Or "maybe" she bought it for decoration?

We purchased this at Mexico Beach in Florida, near Port St. Joe (2012). Paid over $100 for it. Had it over a year. Set it up proudly at almost every place we camped at after that. Woke up one morning and it was gone! Just gone!

Well, the hurricane came through that part of Florida a few years ago. Annihilated that little town, and the little shop we purchased it from closed up. Actually is was blown away. Never got another one.

Anyway, maybe it's just decoration?