Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Slide Reservoir Oil?

We're getting some hesitation on the main slide, occasionally.

When the slides are in, the reservoir is a bit over 1/2 full. I don't see any indication of where that oil level should be, but assume that there wouldn't be a problem with adding more oil.

What oil should we use?.....and how much can we put in there?

BTW, all of the valves are fully open.

Any other suggestions?

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Robbie, Every thing that I've seen about it, the oil should be within 1/2 inch from the top of the tank with all slides retracted. Also any transmission fluid was suggested, but that may have been upgraded to Mercon 5. Search mimf,slides. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bill,

Thanks my friend, for reminding me about our resident expert.

Cut/paste from MIMF post: (thanks)
"The first thing I would do is to suck all of the rooms in tight with the pump. Next, check the fluid level in the reservoir. The level needs to be up to at least one half inch of the yellow fill cap on the tank. If at that point, fluid is needed to be added, go down to Wally-World and get the cheapest automatic tranny fluid you can find. The label will need to say "Dexron/DexronIII or Merco/Mercon5". Now, when you start pouring that stuff into the reservoir, you will immediately notice that it is red in color. It ain't gonna' matter! That is another story."
Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes Robbie, I had this problem too. The manual says when all slides are in the reservoir should be 1/2" from the top of the reservoir. The yellow cap is a little higher on mine, but it is probably close enough. I have also permanently marked the level so I don't have to look it up any more. The manual also calls for Type A (not Type F) ATF fluid, but good luck finding Type A. I used an all-purpose Dexron/Mercon blend - I was told by the auto parts guys that this is the alternative.

It solved my problem for some time, but I am finding the slides are starting to stutter again. The dealer had already replaced the "circuit breakers" for a larger capacity some time ago, but this hasn't helped.

Good luck in your case. But my slides have been doing this to me for a while. I keep them lubed, have taken them in once and still it happens. I am just living with it since it does eventually work.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

...............I am just living with it since it does eventually work.
Me too. Will get it topped off and see if there is any improvement.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Robbie, If air got into the system, it'll take a while to purge its self out, but eventually it will. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"When the slides are in, the reservoir is a bit over 1/2 full. I don't see any indication of where that oil level should be, but assume that there wouldn't be a problem with adding more oil" That is WAY,WAY low. You have no doubt sucked some air into he lines....And..you MAY have a leak somewhere. The fittings are the prime suspect.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote