Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dometic Fridge Model 2862

Pretty sure ours is gone. Today it will not get below 51 degrees, so we are trying to figure out how to save the food we have in it.

I have tried both the gas and electric, neither will make it colder.

Of course, we are 250 miles away from a CW, and workcamping, so the timing couldn't be worse.

Any suggestions would be appreciated for a replacement. An all electric is not an option as we are boondockers and rely on the efficiency of propane.

The Dometic site says a replacement would be model 3962, anyone know if this is a new model, a better refrigerator or what

Is there some way of testing to see if there is an ordered part that I could install to make it work? I know nothing about refrigeration.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I presume you are sure or can verify that you have a heat source, ie; the electric heat rod is working or the propane burner is firing. You do not smell amonia, or see any yellow colored fluid or stain any where. Some times these unit will salt up as will most any absorption unit when conditions are right. If they salt up you would have to add heat to various parts of the refrigerant circuit which would require a torch, which you might not want to do with the unit in the rig. Many years ago when we had this problem with somme of the real early butane fired refrigerators we would turn them upside down and set them on their top for a while, as crazy as it sounds this would most times do the trick, once they were uprighted and refired. Other than verifing heat source and that there are no leaks, I recon I don't have any good answers, all the rest I wrote doesn't help one tenee-wenee-bit. Good Luck
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robbie, Perhaps an electrical rental unit from a rental place, until you could get yours checked by a CERTIFIED RV Tech. We have a 4 footer in the front cabinet, elec, has a small freezer in it, serves us as a backup.......Maybe a call to a local RTO if any around......Good Luck....

BTW: Do you, perhaps, have an extended warranty?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Robbie, have you checked the thermistor? Ours went to the other extreme, freezing everything in it, no matter where I would set it. I think they can go either way, according to how the thermistor fails. You might try calling Dometic for a little tech support.

Replaced our thermistor (at least had it done), and it works like new.

Good luck.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
The thermister has not changed....it was working fine when we went to bed and the next morning it acted like the power had been shut off.

Phil, thanks for the recommendation. We have an ice maker that makes 35#'s per day, so we can make it a while with an ice chest.

Currently I am looking at rvcool.com

They sell a cooling unit for ~$500, and claim an idiot can install it with simple tools...that could be a good option instead of the $1500 for another piece of junk.

Anyone have experience with RVCOOL.com?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Robbie,
Here is another site
http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet/StoreFront

I know nothing about either company but do remember a member changed his cooling unit a few years ago and said it wasn't a bad job, I think that is where this link came from. I thought I had a troubleshooting guide but can't find it, you should be able to find one on the internet.This company claims it is a 3 hr job and will email you the install guide ahead of time so that you can determine whether or not you want to tackle it.They will also help you troubleshoot.
Good luck
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Charlie,
We have the manual that came with the unit. It explains some troubleshooting, but fails to identify the parts...pretty poor.

Just realized our freezer is still working fine.....now I am really wondering what is going on....

The solution has to be simple.

Hope a technician can help before we plunk down $500.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

The thermister has not changed....it was working fine when we went to bed and the next morning it acted like the power had been shut off.

Phil, thanks for the recommendation. We have an ice maker that makes 35#'s per day, so we can make it a while with an ice chest.

Currently I am looking at rvcool.com

They sell a cooling unit for ~$500, and claim an idiot can install it with simple tools...that could be a good option instead of the $1500 for another piece of junk.

Anyone have experience with RVCOOL.com?
We had a simple power outage, ran the battery down, and seems it zapped the thermistor. I actually checked the resistance on it, and it was close, but I didn't trust the VOM I had. The tech called Dometic, and they recommended changing the thermistor. I had my doubts, but it did the trick.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Well, to further confuse, I unplugged (AC) the unit while doing some troubleshooting on the DC side as per the rvcool.com website.

I could not find anything that seemed to be out of whack on either the DC or AC side, so I buttoned it all back up.....left the thermometer inside the fridge, and several hours later noticed the refrigerator had dropped 12*....the freezer was also back down to 12* while on GAS.

My fingers are crossed at this point, going to sleep on it, and pray to the thermometer god.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Robbie I just replaced my cooling unit with one from cooling units.com in ark. it came in about 3 days with 5yr warr. and free shiping for 375$ it is simple to change if you are handy with tools. but hopefully your is OK sounds like it. mine will run about 10d in the freezer and 39 in the bottom on setting 2 now. I did move the termistor up a little when I put it back together. also put 2 new fans in the back for more airflow cooling.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Robbie, try this site http://www.palominorv.com/site/defau...page=contactus ask Jevin for a price for a replacement. They will ship it to you and at a good price. I saved 400-500 over CW even with the shipping.