Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Leaking Tank Repair that Works!

We've had a leaking grey water tank for some time. Leaving the valve open while in an RV Park has worked fine, but eventually, we had to stop and fix the darned tank.

Mel (melnjoy) did the research for me and came up with this kit for me to purchase. He also helped drop the belly and do the actual patch. Thank you, Mel.

This is a 2 part epoxy type repair complete with fiberglass cloth. The repair has to be done withing 5 minutes of mixing, and the repaired tank is usable after 20 minutes...We waited over an hour, and so far there are no leaks after filling the tank.

Professional Holding Tank Repair Kit
Seal-N-Place
Part No. SR-213/90213
Item No. 38-8436

Purchased from:
Dyers Trailer Sales

Now, a Keystone issue: When we fixed the crack in the tank, we noticed that the tank had been patched previously. I bought this trailer new; the fact that Keystone would patch this tank and then sell it as new does not set well with me...While under the trailer, I photographed all of the tanks and their serial numbers because Keystone does not inventory any factory numbers on your particular trailer......they just guess....here is the proof!

How is anyone supposed to be able to order a new tank with this sloppy inventory system?? (There are no numbers posted on this inventory product sticker).

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
How much for the Holding Tank Kit? This appears to be exactly the same thing we bought at a local auto store. Cost was about $17 or $18. The auto store kit was for a radiator repair.

Thanks,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
The patch kit works GREAT. You need to remember to DRY the tank good and then DRY it again.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
How is it that Keystone can sell a referbished holding tank in a new Montana 5er, I believe that if the leak was in the area of repair the first time by there professional repair person ,I would give Keystone a call on this and request a new tank seeing that there patch didn't hold.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

How is it that Keystone can sell a referbished holding tank in a new Montana 5er, I believe that if the leak was in the area of repair the first time by there professional repair person ,I would give Keystone a call on this and request a new tank seeing that there patch didn't hold.
Don, I totally agree, pretty sure it will fall on deaf ears, but I will try.

Dennis, it was $38 plus shipping, pricey, but it worked.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie,
Thanks. The kits look exactly the same except for the wording. So far the patches seem to be working just fine. Whatever you do make sure you use the fiberglass! Don't ask me how I know about this!

I see you guys are getting a bit of rain. Boy would that be a nice change down this way. Will let you know in a day or two as to whether or not we'll be making the trip.

Thanks for info.
Dennis

On Edit: added 'do' to remove confusion in sentence.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Robbie,
Thanks. The kits look exactly the same except for the wording. So far the patches seem to be working just fine. Whatever you make sure you use the fiberglass! Don't ask me how I know about this!

I see you guys are getting a bit of rain. Boy would that be a nice change down this way. Will let you know in a day or two as to whether or not we'll be making the trip.

Thanks for info.
Dennis
Is this supposed to be:

"Whatever you make sure you don't use the fiberglass!"

Or are you trying to confuse me????
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Go two topics down to Montana technical help and problem solving//first post on "black tanks"made by me. The tank vendor is Travel star and they are near the plant.Keystone does not stock the tanks. The part numbers were clarly marked on our tanks. We have seen piles of them stacked at the facory awaiting installaton. I would give them a call about a repared tank on a new RV...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tom S.,
Sorry about that. When using the kit make sure to use the fiberglass no matter how small the repair seems to be. It adds the strength need to make sure the leak stays fixed.

Dennis
Old 09-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Go two topics down to Montana technical help and problem solving//first post on "black tanks"made by me. The tank vendor is Travel star and they are near the plant.Keystone does not stock the tanks. The part numbers were clarly marked on our tanks. We have seen piles of them stacked at the facory awaiting installaton. I would give them a call about a repared tank on a new RV...
Rich, you are right about TravelStar, but did you notice there are no numbers on the picture of the TravelStar tag I posted, there aren't any on the tank that are visible either? That was my point.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Rich, you are right about TravelStar, but did you notice there are no numbers on the picture of the TravelStar tag I posted, there aren't any on the tank that are visible either? That was my point" Yes I noticed...There is something up with that. Maybe the dealer did a repair before you purchaed it.Or p
Old 05-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
stingray63

M.O.C. #8865
Hello my name is Sam this is my first post on this site. I’ve been searching for a way to repair my cracked gray water tank and read everything from Goop to epoxy to Eternabond. After reading posts for last two days my head was about explode. Well to make long story short while I was down there cleaning up the mesh that owner before me tried to repair I got to looking at the outlet fitting and seeing that was a bulkhead fitting that was glued in I got thinking why not use ABS glue to patch the crack? So I cleaned crack and area around crack about an inch and drilled a hole at both ends of the crack. Then took some acetone and cleaned the whole area the acetone will start to melt the ABS and make it sticky at this point I take some of ABS glue and mix it with some acetone to thin it. Next I take a solder brush apply a coat to the inside of the crack and about an inch around then apply layer of fiberglass mesh and put another coat of glue and let dry until it gets tacky then apply another layer of fiberglass with a coat of glue on top of that and let dry for 24 hr. So far it’s holding up very well. I’ll be taking a month long trip in June and see how it holds up. Sorry for the long post.
List of materials
1-can of Oatey Medium Black ABS cement
Acetone
Solder brush
Fiberglass mesh
Sandpaper
stingray63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I called travel star the vendor of the tanks and they told me how they repair the tanks. It is a mixture of "stuff" that can be purchased at Home depot and it works.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Stingray63,
Thank you for posting your recipe for fixing a leak in a tank.

Richfaa,
Did they give you a specific list? If so can you share it?

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 05-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It has been over two years ago and I do not remember the mix. There is a thread called Black tank repair and it may be in that thread. If not a call to travel star will get the formulaa.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Here is what Travel Star told Workerb. If I remember right this is what you mentioned in an earlier post Rich

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...51&whichpage=2
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"I asked her how. Amy said get a bucket of water and pour some Oatey ABS cement into the water. Swirl the cement around in the water and make a ball. Squeeze out the water and form a putty ball. After cleaning the cracked area using MEK (Methyl Ethel Ketone) form the putty around the cracked area to finish the repair. 24 hours minimum before use and a few days is better. I asked exactly what the tank was made of and Amy replied ABS. So there you have it"

That is it Charlie and it works. Unfortunatly some of my crack extended into a area I could not see or repair so we had to replace the black tank but it worked find on the part I could repair.