Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #21
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Carol,
Do you (knowing you love lists and documentation ) have a list of parks where the dogs run free and the management does nothing about it?
Maybe starting a thread about that would keep people with dogs from camping there AND they may make a phone call and let the management know that is the reason they aren't staying?
Just an idea.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Larry

I do not. Interesting idea tho! Might check out the RV Reviews link from Simonsrf in this thread.

I have posted here on the forum in the Campgrounds forum and of course in the Pets Palace forum.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #23
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We have been spending time on the Oregon coast this year. We recently were at the Newport Marina and RV Park (very beautiful there by the way). Over labor day weekend there were lots of young people there enjoying their days off. Next to us was a very young couple with 2 golden labs. We had a golden lab, so have always had a special place in our heart for them. Unfortunately the girlfriend's dog was untrained and always off leash. We ignored them until DH went out to dump and that dog became very aggressive and charged him. Fortunately he isn't frightened of aggressive dogs like I am and yelled at the owner (who was standing there watching) GET THAT DOG ON A LEASH! The young man tied him up then slinked into his trailer. A few minutes later the dog was off leash once again! There were clear rules that dogs were supposed to be on a leash. Oh, there were also clear rules that crab boiling had to be done in a designated area and not at the campsite. They boiled crabs. We were happy when they pulled out.
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #24
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie,
Are you sure the things you saw were dogs? I mean you camp in some pretty far out places and I'd think that only WILD animals would be that far out! Perhaps you were seeing bears or cougars or something like that and just thought it was a dog.

Does this mean that you are no longer the godfather of that cute little dog that sits in your lap? I've never seen her with a leash on. Of course I'm not sure I've ever seen her on the ground!

OK. I agree that the critters need to be on leash at all times. We did let our guys off leash at the Second Q gathering. Of course there were only 3 other rigs there. And everyone had BIG dogs. We watched as they walked off leash and played with each other. And we even watched to pick up any droppings that they might leave and simply picked up ANY that we saw whether it was from our little guys or was one of the BIGGER guys.

If anyone came to visit we generally put the guys inside or on leash. I have to admit it was fun watching the guys (all of them) be a true pack!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #25
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
I can relate to the problem of dogs not on leashes in RV parks. Three years ago, we were here in Oregon, Albert hunts every year in the same spot, we always park the RV in this small rv park in Prairie City. A gentleman next to us had a big ole bulldog,he had told me the dog had seen my cat outside several times, the cat was leash trained. I went in the trailer to do something, heard the guy holler for his dog, I went outside, the dog ( off leash ) was heading towards my cat,( ON leash ) I was trying to stop the dog, he knocked me down and I ended up in the ER with 2 fractured vertebraes in my back. We came back from the ER and that guy and his motorhome ...."poof" gone! Had to get the sheriff over here to get the mans name from the camp host as she could not give it to us. Needless to say, his insurance company paid for all my medical. I have had dogs and in no way were they allowed to be off leash for thier safety and others.
There is a guy here, who takes his lab, (get this) with him when he is hunting.....elk ! The dog ran over the hill out of sight and back she comes with two coyotes on her heels. Responsible pet owner? NOT ! Those coyotes would of killed that dog for sure.
OK I'll stop ranting now.
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I read on another forum where people have been using wasp/hornet spray...the kind that shoots 20', to ward off unruly dogs...and humans. Another poster said this was not allowed in all states, something about the chemicals in the repellant. What about pepper spray, that should work.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #27
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Footloose, we were camped at the Newport Marina and RV Park in mid-June and had an irresponsible dog owner problem of a different sort. The people parked across from us left 2 unhappy yappers in the rig all one afternoon and evening. We ran the AC, which muffled some of the noise, but we sure felt sorry for the people parked on either side of that trailer because I knew they couldn't escape that frantic barking. I felt sorry for the dogs, too, because they obviously felt abandoned. Finally, the couple returned a little after 9:00 PM. Peace & quiet again.

That's a nice, clean place to stay with great views, as you said.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 AM   #28
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Robbie,
Are you sure the things you saw were dogs? I mean you camp in some pretty far out places and I'd think that only WILD animals would be that far out! Perhaps you were seeing bears or cougars or something like that and just thought it was a dog.

Does this mean that you are no longer the godfather of that cute little dog that sits in your lap? I've never seen her with a leash on. Of course I'm not sure I've ever seen her on the ground!

OK. I agree that the critters need to be on leash at all times. We did let our guys off leash at the Second Q gathering. Of course there were only 3 other rigs there. And everyone had BIG dogs. We watched as they walked off leash and played with each other. And we even watched to pick up any droppings that they might leave and simply picked up ANY that we saw whether it was from our little guys or was one of the BIGGER guys.

If anyone came to visit we generally put the guys inside or on leash. I have to admit it was fun watching the guys (all of them) be a true pack!

Dennis
Pretty sure they were dogs, I'd had nothing to drink, yet. I recognized the canine teeth right off the bat!

Of course I am still the godfather of CC the wonder dog. If the rules say that the wonder dog should be on a leash, then the wonder dog should be on a leash!

Quartzsite is that wonderful place that is NOT called an RV Park. There are NO rules, we can each be ourselves without restrictions. Quartzsite has and always will be that place where people are considerate of each others feelings, wants and desires.....a true utopia for both human and canine. My hope is that the consensus is that dogs are allowed to be free at Q. That will only change if there are problems, and any and all problems in the past have been quickly taken care of for the good of all. Everyone in Quartzsite in the past has been very considerate!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #29
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Thought here....

....I do agree that we do need to speak up about dog owners who do not take responsibility of their dogs and allow them to fun free and invade on others spaces.

But how do we help Campgrounds enforce the rules THEY set...(we agree with and pay for)

When making our reservations and checking in, maybe ask about their "leash rules" and "do they enforce it"? When experiencing a camper who is not following the leash it rule, then take the time to notify the "host/office"

Doing this will make campgrounds aware of how Campers are feeling.
Again I do think we need to put the campgrounds in the positions of up holding their responsibilites. And that is to enforce the leash laws....

About the Q.....

Even thou I have not been at the Q...just from reading the posts written before me....

This is a whole differnt situation. This is a small group gathering, in an open area. Not a State or Public Campground.
All participates have gathered in one location to let their dogs socialize. Like a gathering at a dog park. I am sure this is done away from anybody who may be offended or concerned about a dog off of a leash.

I only wish doggie duty pickup could be as easy to enforce....but that's a whole different topic.

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #30
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
PartyCrashers I agree we need to press the campground staff as much as possible by asking at check in just what the dog rules are AND if they are enforced. Making these parks aware that we as pet owners actually agree with these set rules and the enforcement of them.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #31
Caseclosed
Established Member

M.O.C. #8423
I trained our dog in obedience for 6 years. He had three obedience titles and many first place ribbons He would stay where I put him till I told him it was ok to move. But at no time did I walk him without a leash as other people have no idea that he is trained. People walking there dogs off leash are the same people that you see running red lights and talking on cell phones driving at 80 MPH pulling there boats.
Caseclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #32
travelRN
Established Member

M.O.C. #9960
Hi all. I keep mine on a leash also. I had a wonderful Mini Schnauzer who never left the yard. But one time we went to the campsite and she disappeared. We searched and searched. We were frantic. She was like our child. We had here for 18 years.(Longer than I have had the hubby) Hehe. Well, she finally came home with a token of her trip. A 2 inch thick fully seasoned T Bone steak. We never did find the owner to pay him back. But we learned our lesson and she went on a leash from then on. We lost her last year but her picture hangs in the new 5er. We do miss her. But now we have a little Shih Tzu and he is a handful and definetly on a leash.
travelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:28 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have noted in our travels over the last 43 months that more and more pet owners are not responsible. I think the older folks are worse. The younger folks seem to have some sense of responsibility but the older folks seem to ignore as many rules as they can. Maybe they figure that old folks become exempt from rules. Or... Maybe they can't bend over any more to pick up the crap.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #34
bobivy
Established Member

M.O.C. #9557
Like most on here, we've camped with both dogs and cats. When we decided to do more long term camping we opted not to get another dog. True, great company, but when in a campground or travelling and it's raining, having a dog is not much fun. Our days of 'pooper scooping' are over.
bobivy is offline   Reply With Quote