Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2022, 08:18 PM   #21
Nightop
Established Member

M.O.C. #25927
Back in the late 70's we rode 10's of thousands of miles in a 35 foot 5th Wheel a lot of the time towing a 17 foot boat behind that. We also rode in the back of a pickup all the time. My pickup had a gun rack with rifles in it that I drove to school on a daily basis. Would I do any of that today? Opinions about behaviours change with the news of the times. People used to watch out for each other, today it seems like everyone for themselves, with no regard or understanding for others points of view.

<edit for spelling>

Nightop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:28 AM   #22
Robinpterp

M.O.C. #21939
Our dog rides in the truck with us wearing a harness and tethered with a short strap that buckles into one of the seat belts (as a puppy, he traveled in a hard plastic kennel buckled in with a seat belt). We heard too many stories about people being in accidents and their pet getting loose, then getting hit or being lost for days or weeks. Having seen how an RV disintegrates in a crash, I would never let a person or pet ride in one without being secured by a seat belt.

All that being said, my sister and I rode in our truck camper as kids. We had an intercom into the truck cab, which my dad would turn off when he got tired of listening to our sisterly squabbles. We also traveled cross-country sleeping in the back of our station wagon, but we know better safety practices now and follow them. As a former ER nurse, I've seen what can happen to people who don't.
B&W Companion Hitch
Robinpterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:42 PM   #23
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightop View Post
Back in the late 70's we rode 10's of thousands of miles in a 35 foot 5th Wheel a lot of the time towing a 17 foot boat behind that. We also rode in the back of a pickup all the time. My pickup had a gun rack with rifles in it that I drove to school on a daily basis. Would I do any of that today? Opinions about behaviours change with the news of the times. People used to watch out for each other, today it seems like everyone for themselves, with no regard or understanding for others points of view.
Truer words were never spoken. In 1965, while stationed in Norfolk, VA, I bought a 12 ga shotgun at a pawn shop, brought it back to the Navy base and stored it in my closet in the barracks. Two weeks later I flew home to Seattle and carried that shotgun in a scabbard thru 3 airports with not a word spoken. I even had a box of #6 shot 12 ga shells with me. Can you imagine doing that today?
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When I was in school we took our guns to school. I did my first gunsmithing in machine shop. I made a 22 rimfire into a 22 rimfire mag. An experience I will never forget. I took it out behind the barn aimed at a tree, held it down in front of me. With my head back I pulled the trigger and to my great surprise the rifle came unglued. The barrel and receiver went in one direction the stock now in the prices went in another direction.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #25
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
When I was in school we took our guns to school. I did my first gunsmithing in machine shop. I made a 22 rimfire into a 22 rimfire mag. An experience I will never forget. I took it out behind the barn aimed at a tree, held it down in front of me. With my head back I pulled the trigger and to my great surprise the rifle came unglued. The barrel and receiver went in one direction the stock now in the prices went in another direction.
Lynwood
Seems like the greatest life lessons come from the experiences we survive!
Old 06-17-2022, 04:43 PM   #26
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27061
Trailers and pickups

I hope we do learn from our experiences. Both good and bad. I grew up on farms and my pop hauled us kids (7 of us) in the back of a pickup truck with nothing but a blanket to protect us from the weather on hundreds of mile trips. It was the only vehicle we had. We also were hauled around in open trailers on shorter trips. Wouldn’t even think of it today. They did what they thought they had to. They also used their arm as a seatbelt while we STOOD in the seat next to them while they drove. It was an acceptable practice then. Nobody thought anything about it.
2012 F350 SWD CREW
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:03 AM   #27
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Back in the '70's people routinely filled their car/truck up with gas while holding a lit cigarette in their mouth. Gas was not flammable back then.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:34 AM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Back in the '70's people routinely filled their car/truck up with gas while holding a lit cigarette in their mouth. Gas was not flammable back then.
I came by a gasoline tanker that had overturned. Gas was running down the road an inch deep. People we’re walking around with a cigarette in their hand. I remember exactly what I said ‘honey let’s get the h**** out of here’.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:13 PM   #29
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I was involved in an accident many years back near Montreal. A gas powered small semi had its saddle tank ripped off and thrown in front of me. I ducked my Grand Prix into a deep ditch with no damage. A cop dragged out a flare and started to set it up in the gas puddle. His French was unmistakable when I slapped it out of his hand - but thanked me afterwards in both languages.

Rode in a 5er only once. I came down with food poisoning in Montana and we had to travel regardless. Not a fun day - but legal since I had a comm hookup with the truck. Wont ever do that ride again
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote