Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Tv help

Ok, so I'm not the most technical person on God's green earth for sure, and I'm also not to shy to ask questions so here goes and thanks for your help in advance!

I presently have Dish tv at home and travel with a playmaker antenna and a wally which I pay an extra $5.00 per month for. I would like to have the ability to watch Netflix, Paramount and Amazon Prime. Is this even possible and if so what equipment would I need for this to happen? Presently we can watch tv and get the package channels I get at home plus all the extra channels stated above, just not local channels and I really do NOT want the local channels because that would disrupt what my wife is taping at home on the Hopper. However, every time we don't use the rig for a month or so, I have to call Dish to get a hit so we can watch tv. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This is a case of if you don’t use it you loose it. I’ve had the same problem so I leave mine hooked up and cut the Dish box and Tv on occasionally. Don’t know if you can do that.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am not a Dish person, so I may be wrong. But I believe the Dish app allows you to "Activate" your receiver after the 30 day idle timeout. There is no need to call them this way.

As for the streaming apps, I am pretty sure that is out of Dish's wheelhouse. You usually need a Smart TV, Chrome Cast, Fire Stick, or such, the internet, and/or your phone, tablet, or laptop. The Smart TV is the easiest route today *IF* you have one.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
like carl said they are 2 differant animals. one is satelite the other is off the internet. mine did not come with smart tv's so i use either a roku or firestick to stream all my tv or netflix etc when either home or away in my 5th wheel. either will work . i use my t moble phone as a hot spot most of the time. i have used a parks internet but usually not, its to slow and congested you also can just use your phone and mirror it to the tv, when i do that i have unlimited service when using the hot spot on the phone i think i get 40mb for mi line and 40 mb using my wifes per month, you also can buy more if needed from t moble or your provider. it has worked pretty well for us while away. good luck getting what you need
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:59 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Dish channels 301 (Amazon Prime) and 302 (Netflix) cant remember Youtube channel number - come thru the satellite signal not the internet connection.

I bought my walley black box on sale for $60 two yrs ago. They offer 4 additional upgrades that plug into the USB ports…a bluetooth adapter, an over-the-air antenna drive so you can scan and tune in OTA local channels on the Dish channel list, and a WIFI adapter for the walley, and i bought a DVR to be able to record shows. When i unboxed it all discovered that walley only has 2 USB ports - so you can only use two of those accessories at a time. I complained to Dish… oh well.
Frankly i am not sure what additional services you get from Dish when you are connected to the internet.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #6
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
well i stand corrected about my input on the dish network getting netflex and amazon prime. after seeing mikedebbies response i looked it up heres is what i found looks like you need the hopper to do it. this explains it all.

https://www.dish.com/features/streaming-apps/ sorry for the bad info before
i had dish and left it to stream next time i will check my info first
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:34 AM   #7
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Firestick may be an option for you

We have a firestick on each TV in the rig. There seems to be no limit to the programs and paid channels we can get. More TV than I could watch in the time I have left or would want to! If you have an Amazon prime membership, there are a ton of movies and shows to watch. I have not figured out the football thing yet. The only caveat is you need internet for the firestick to work.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #8
Nightop
Established Member

M.O.C. #25927
To get any of the streaming services such as Netflix, prime,Hulu, etc., you will need internet service of some kind. Then you will need a smart tv or some other streaming device, personally I use an old Xbox i had laying around, can use it for dvd's, games , and for all the streaming services.
Nightop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #9
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
You will find that some parks have very poor cell phone reception depending on your carrier. If you use your phone as an internet hotspot, get a cell phone booster.
You must have at least 1 bar reception because these will not work if there is Zero connection /reception available.
We have a WeBoost cell phone signal booster. They can boost your internet tv connection signal from abysmal upward to very usable & all the way up to excellent.
A booster will help help eliminate drops & momentary cutouts of your cell phone calls too
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:14 AM   #10
M&M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27628
We opted to install the Winegard gateway paired to the factory installed Winegard antenna. We were able to add a SIM card for $20 per month to existing mobile data plan. That gives us internet to connect TVs and IN·Command. On the TVs we use AppleTV and FireTV to stream Netflix, Prime , etc. So far we have been satisfied with that solution.
BTW-Winegard came out with a new gateway that I’ll upgrade to at some point.