Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2022, 05:50 AM   #1
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Rubber Pin Box Good Idea?

After traveling across the country and especially Indiana on I70 I have decided I need to do something to help the trailer ride better. Been looking at a MORryde Rubber Pin Box and their independent suspension system. What is the general opinion of MORryde products and are there other offerings that will smooth out the ride and eliminate "chucking" and improve the trailer ride?

Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Yes the morryde pb is a good upgrade. It used to be the standard pb from Montana. They come in different lengths so be careful about the right part number. The IS from morryde is another great upgrade especially with disc brakes added at the same time. Lots of money though.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:21 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I don't know if there is any solution to making your ride better if traveling ANY interstate within the state of Indiana! You may soften your ride a bit, but think about those poor tires you are riding on!

If traveling through Indiana, avoid interstates at any cost. Take US highways which are many in Indiana, running North-South, and East-West, and often follow right along the existing interstates.

I live on a county road (Madison County, Indiana). The road I live on is "chip and seal" (you know, packed gravel with a bonding oil. The more traffic it gets, the harder it packs down). That road is 100 times smoother than any interstate in Indiana!

In Indiana, we NEVER travel the interstates when towing the trailer or driving the dually. The transitions on the bridges simply tear your vehicle up. And even though some of the major interstates have been re-surfaced, within a week, they start digging holes in them again, and they they are all horrible within a couple weeks.

I-70, I-74, I-69, I-75, I-65 ... all of them ... will do nothing but rip the cabinets off the wall inside your camper and make you feel like you are driving a bucking horse! No pin box ... air or anything can help smooth it out in Indiana. Your best option is to take a different route and avoid interstates in Indiana.

I absolutely refuse to drive I-70 anywhere in with any vehicle. Same goes for I-65 between Indianapolis and Louisville, Kentucky. And I-69 anywhere North of Anderson, Indiana all the way to Fort Wayne. Simply horrible roads. Horrible!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Having had IS on two Montana’s now, and MorRyde pin boxes on three, and having been from Florida to Alaska and Texas to Maine, I feel I have some experience to share. I agree, IS is expensive. But, it makes a huge difference in the ride of the coach. We also put Timbren’s on the truck. I haven’t noticed a huge difference between the MorRyde pin box and the RotoFlex, but would prefer the MorRyde. Your hitch will also make a difference. We have a Pullrite 3900. Hitch also makes a difference in ride quality. John mentioned disc brakes. Our Legacy came with disc brakes and they transferred over with our IS install. If I prioritized my purchases it would be hitch, disc brakes, IS, Timbrens, pin box. Just my personal experience. YMMV.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:13 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
The best upgrade I made to our 5'er was the MorRyde pin box. Doesn't stop, but certainly softens the chucking action. Remember when ordering to get the correct rubber shear spring.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:57 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Ditto what Jimcol said. I had a lot of chucking and the pb reduced it to maybe 50% of before. Still happens, but not as bad.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
This is the best investment I've done for smoothing the ride.

https://kelderman.com/
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:44 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just wanting to try something different, I swapped out the more ride rubber cushion pin box with the fifth airborne air puck pin box. Turns out, I like it's performance better than the more ride.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:05 PM   #9
mudford
Established Member

M.O.C. #23869
Sitting in their parking lot right now waiting to have ours done starting at 6am tomorrow morning. I’ll let you know on our trip back to California.
mudford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
We had huge chucking issues. After a cross country trip. I installed a Reese 5th Airborn pin box. HUGE DIFFERENCE! No more chucking and bucking. Best upgrade. Highly recommend.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #11
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Goose Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
After traveling across the country and especially Indiana on I70 I have decided I need to do something to help the trailer ride better. Been looking at a MORryde Rubber Pin Box and their independent suspension system. What is the general opinion of MORryde products and are there other offerings that will smooth out the ride and eliminate "chucking" and improve the trailer ride?
I have a Reese Goose Box on my Montana and would not take for it. I strongly recommend you consider it.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:18 PM   #12
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
Mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
I use the Gen-Y Executive Torsion Flex 5th Wheel Pin Box and I love it! I also upgraded the equalizer from standard metal one to Road Armour shock absorbing equalizer and together they took away most of the chucking and porpoising from our 5th wheel. Our camper came with shocks but they are at such a flat angle, I don’t think they help much so I’m still going to add some Sumo spring dampeners to hopefully help tame it even more.

There will always be some chucking and porpoising but it was night and day difference for our 2002 3280RL Montana, being towed with a 2009 Ford F-250 4x4 single rear wheel short bed truck just by adding the Gen-Y pin box. Notable difference when the Road Armour was added as well.
Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #13
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Very good
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:05 AM   #14
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
We've had the Reese Goose Box for over a year. It does a great job of smoothing out the ride. We love it.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #15
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I don't know if there is any solution to making your ride better if traveling ANY interstate within the state of Indiana! You may soften your ride a bit, but think about those poor tires you are riding on!

If traveling through Indiana, avoid interstates at any cost. Take US highways which are many in Indiana, running North-South, and East-West, and often follow right along the existing interstates.

I live on a county road (Madison County, Indiana). The road I live on is "chip and seal" (you know, packed gravel with a bonding oil. The more traffic it gets, the harder it packs down). That road is 100 times smoother than any interstate in Indiana!

In Indiana, we NEVER travel the interstates when towing the trailer or driving the dually. The transitions on the bridges simply tear your vehicle up. And even though some of the major interstates have been re-surfaced, within a week, they start digging holes in them again, and they they are all horrible within a couple weeks.

I-70, I-74, I-69, I-75, I-65 ... all of them ... will do nothing but rip the cabinets off the wall inside your camper and make you feel like you are driving a bucking horse! No pin box ... air or anything can help smooth it out in Indiana. Your best option is to take a different route and avoid interstates in Indiana.

I absolutely refuse to drive I-70 anywhere in with any vehicle. Same goes for I-65 between Indianapolis and Louisville, Kentucky. And I-69 anywhere North of Anderson, Indiana all the way to Fort Wayne. Simply horrible roads. Horrible!
I ordered the MORryde rubber pin box and it arrived today. Will have it installed at Stoney RV in Cambridge, OH Friday morning. Next thing I'm doing is studying the road maps for Indiana and learning the US Highway system so I never drive on an Interstate system again.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #16
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
This is the best investment I've done for smoothing the ride. https://kelderman.com/
What specifically did you install? I ask this as I might be interested in the same upgrade, albeit my ride is very smoth on roads WITHOUT pot holes and uneven pavement.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:12 AM   #17
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Well I dropped trailer off at 7:30am and told it would be ready in 2 hoiurs. Decided to go have breakfast at a local restaurant and when finished went back to dealership. Within 10 mins they opened their bay doors and waved me in to hook up to trailer. Charged $233 for install and I tipped the 2 mechanics nicely for such fast and excellent service. Pulled out of shop and noticed immediately a smoother "pull". Got on I77 and headed south to I70 and again I was impressed with how much smoother the ride was especially going over bridges and asphalt road patches. I thick DW will be pleased with this mod.