Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2022, 05:52 PM   #1
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Blue Ridge Parkway

While looking at our plans after we have completed our trip to Martinsville, VA My wife asked if we could travel the Blue Ridge Parkway thru VA and NC. Been researching the trip and it seems a little intimidating in many of the parts. Has anyone traveled it and is towing a FW on it a crazy idea?

Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:30 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
No it’s not a crazy idea. It’s my favorite road to travel. Yes it’s curvy, kinda steep in places but it’s drop dead gorgeous. And right now is the time to see it. There are nice camp grounds every few hours and I’ve been in most of them. We only live about 12 miles over Poor Mountain from the Parkway so I’m on it frequently. It’s a great road for my motorcycle. It’s our most used national park but it’s never crowded.
Drive slow. You wouldn’t run through a museum and you wouldn’t drive fast on the parkway. Stop at the overlooks. As an example of the exhibits there is an old cabin 50 or 75 miles south of us where a midwife lived. She delivered several hundred children and had, I think 22 of her own. None of her children lived.
Take a pair of binoculars and a camera.
There will be several people to say don’t do it stay at a campground and see the parkway that way. I disagree. The best way to see the parkway is from the parkway.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
There is a Blue Ridge Parkway app.
We drove it in our car (no camper that trip).
Be aware there are low tunnels.
The app shows them so you can plan to go around that part.
It also shows you the Campgrounds, look outs, rest stops, restaurants, etc.
Along this route...
Skyline Drive and Shenandoah NP app.
Download the Nation Park Service app.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:24 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If you haven't been, I highly recommend it. I travel it every year from Florida up to West Virginia. Very scenic and beautiful country.
Keep in mind, you will consume more fuel than driving on flat ground, but it's worth the expense.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:57 AM   #5
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
If you haven't been, I highly recommend it. I travel it every year from Florida up to West Virginia. Very scenic and beautiful country.
Keep in mind, you will consume more fuel than driving on flat ground, but it's worth the expense.
We were just up there. Be careful, there are a lot of bikers, and they don't like to go slow.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
No it’s not a crazy idea. It’s my favorite road to travel. Yes it’s curvy, kinda steep in places but it’s drop dead gorgeous. And right now is the time to see it. There are nice camp grounds every few hours and I’ve been in most of them. We only live about 12 miles over Poor Mountain from the Parkway so I’m on it frequently. It’s a great road for my motorcycle. It’s our most used national park but it’s never crowded.
Drive slow. You wouldn’t run through a museum and you wouldn’t drive fast on the parkway. Stop at the overlooks. As an example of the exhibits there is an old cabin 50 or 75 miles south of us where a midwife lived. She delivered several hundred children and had, I think 22 of her own. None of her children lived.
Take a pair of binoculars and a camera.
There will be several people to say don’t do it stay at a campground and see the parkway that way. I disagree. The best way to see the parkway is from the parkway.
Lynwood
I down loaded the BRP App and it helps a lot. From your knowledge of the Parkway where would you enter it if starting from Martinsville, VA? And is route 58 from I77 to Martinsville a good route to take towing a FW?
Old 10-09-2022, 07:21 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You will wont to take Route 220 to Roanoke and about a mile south of Roanoke you can get on the parkway. Your first CC will be Rocky Knob. I’ve been in it but never stayed. It’s too close to home to stay there. I have been through it.
Lynwood
I take that back. You can get on the parkway there but I think it’s still closed a few miles south. Take route 419 to route 221 to Bent Mountain and get on the parkway at Bent Mountain. It’s not but a few miles and Bent Mountain is pretty farm land. That is where I normally get on the parkway. There are detour sings to guide you from route 220 to 221.
Lynwood
Old 10-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #8
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
You can get on the parkway there but I think it’s still closed a few miles south. Take route 419 to route 221 to Bent Mountain and get on the parkway at Bent Mountain. It’s not but a few miles and Bent Mountain is pretty farm land. That is where I normally get on the parkway. There are detour sings to guide you from route 220 to 221.
Lynwood
Sounds good to me except I don't see any 419 around Martinsville. Looks to me that I would take 220 north out of Martinsville to 419 and connect to 221 at Cave Spring. Then 221 to Bent Mountain. Is the Parkway easy to find, signs, highway route number?
Old 10-11-2022, 06:02 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is no 419 around Martinsville it’s in Roanoke. And yes it’s easy to get to the parkway from Martinsville. Straight up 220 at Roanoke the detour will guide you to 221 and from there it’s straight up Bent Mountain to the parkway.
Call me if you have any trouble 540 353 0480.
Lynwood
Old 10-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #10
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
There is no 419 around Martinsville it’s in Roanoke. And yes it’s easy to get to the parkway from Martinsville. Straight up 220 at Roanoke the detour will guide you to 221 and from there it’s straight up Bent Mountain to the parkway.
Call me if you have any trouble 540 353 0480.
Lynwood
I will be heading to Roanoke on Nov 1st after the race at Martinsville. Is driving the BRP in November a bad idea due to weather conditions? Will check weather and road conditions at that time on my BRP App. You can count on me calling you on Nov 1st as I head up 220.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
I will be heading to Roanoke on Nov 1st after the race at Martinsville. Is driving the BRP in November a bad idea due to weather conditions? Will check weather and road conditions at that time on my BRP App. You can count on me calling you on Nov 1st as I head up 220.

Great idea. We could get some snow. I’ve seen snow in November. I hunted in the snow in November over 50 years ago. You are safe. Some of the parkway is over 4000 feet and goes up to 6000 feet but I’m still betting you won’t see any snow. Most of the leaves will be off the trees by then.
If you will let me know your phone number as I don’t answer if I don’t recognize the number. Scam numbers!
Lynwood
Old 10-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you have a problem with the detour. Get on I 581. Route 220 leads straight into I 581. On 581 stay in the left lane. It exists to I 81 from the left. That will take you to I 81 south and to Christinsburg and route 8 exit number 114. Take a left. That will take you to the town of Floyd. Go through Floyd to the parkway. There is a nice little country restaurant within sight of the entrance to the parkway, Tuggles Gap restaurant.
Lynwood
Old 10-13-2022, 04:23 PM   #13
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
If you have a problem with the detour. Get on I 581. Route 220 leads straight into I 581. That will take you to I 81 south and to Christinsburg and route 8 exit number 114. Take a left. That will take you to the town of Floyd. Go through Floyd to the parkway. There is a nice little country restaurant within sight of the entrance to the parkway, Tuggles Gap restaurant.
Lynwood
Sent you a text, my number is 360-306-4050 Bill
Also, is route 58 from I77 to Martinsville a good route to take towing a FW? I'm coming from Ohio down I77 and looking for a good route into Ridgeway, VA where the campground is that I'm staying at. On the map it looks very crooked and I expect to be hilly countryside.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:20 PM   #14
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Lots of deer, bikers, low overpasses, curves, hills, and 25 mph speed limits. It's pretty, but so is the highway up 81. Pretty mountains on both sides. I wouldn't do it, but I live there, so the scenery isn't a draw for me.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #15
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Doable. Lots to see. Lots to take in. IF YOU’RE THE PASSENGER. The driver will be concentrating too much on the road, the bikers, the curves, the hills, etc to really enjoy the drive.
Personally, I avoided it with the RV and parked in a campground. Later, took a day trip with the truck. No stress, easier to pull off at lookouts, was able to enjoy the area.
JMHO
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There are lots of deer and bikers. So a word to the wise. I don’t know how many deer there are where you live. If you see a deer cross the road do not assume that is the only one. There will usually be at least two a doe and at least one fawn usually two. When mom crosses the road baby at the last second could decide to cross at 40 MPH. Pay attention on both sides of the road. The rut will be in the first of November and then they really go nuts. Most of the deer are in the low lands not on top of the mountains. Low lands like Bent Mountain.
A guy that works in my shop had a deer run into the side of his truck last week. A friend and I was on the Parkway in my truck a couple years ago. A guy on a motorcycle had ran into a deer. The cycle was laying in the ditch close to the deer and he was laying still on a stretcher just looking up. We thought they were talking him to the hospital, no they were talking him to the morgue.
Just be careful and you will be safe. The parkway is one of the most beautiful roads in the country don’t miss it. The most important thing is ENJOY.
Lynwood
Old 10-16-2022, 06:54 PM   #17
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
There are lots of deer and bikers. So a word to the wise. I don’t know how many deer there are where you live. If you see a deer cross the road do not assume that is the only one. There will usually be at least two a doe and at least one fawn usually two. When mom crosses the road baby at the last second could decide to cross at 40 MPH. Pay attention on both sides of the road. The rut will be in the first of November and then they really go nuts. Most of the deer are in the low lands not on top of the mountains. Low lands like Bent Mountain.
A guy that works in my shop had a deer run into the side of his truck last week. A friend and I was on the Parkway in my truck a couple years ago. A guy on a motorcycle had ran into a deer. The cycle was laying in the ditch close to the deer and he was laying still on a stretcher just looking up. We thought they were talking him to the hospital, no they were talking him to the morgue.
Just be careful and you will be safe. The parkway is one of the most beautiful roads in the country don’t miss it. The most important thing is ENJOY.
Lynwood
Having spent my career in mining thru out Montana, Wyoming and Colorado I can truly relate to deer and their habits. In 40 years of driving in deer country I have hit a couple of them and one hit me in driver's door so I can appreciate your words of wisdom.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:24 AM   #18
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I know the topic is not “A deer hit me” but I have to tell this story.
1998 I was working for a construction company in south Austin.
My car was parked where I marked “Me”.
A deer was hit out in South Lamar and it staggered running into our parking lot until it got to my Chevy Lumina. It tried to jump over my car - didn’t make it. Dented the front fender/wheel well - dented the hood - broke my wind shield.
Fortunately one of my co-workers saw the whole thing and explained why my white car was covered in blood and deer hair. I had some ‘splainin’ to do to my insurance agent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62B81200-C32F-41A6-AF82-37FA85409017.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	13433  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #19
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
if you are going to travel to Blue Ridge Parkway make sure your rig is no taller than 12’4”. My wife and I did this a couple years ago in our fifth wheel and down or went under the tunnel. It would’ve ended our trip and there could be lower tunnels ahead. We left outta smoking Mountain national Park and took the Blue Ridge from there. That’s where we ran end of the 12 foot four tunnel. Garmins 785 RV GPS had no info for this road.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:13 AM   #20
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
if you are going to travel to Blue Ridge Parkway make sure your rig is no taller than 12’4”. My wife and I did this a couple years ago in our fifth wheel and down or went under the tunnel. It would’ve ended our trip and there could be lower tunnels ahead. We left outta smoking Mountain national Park and took the Blue Ridge from there. That’s where we ran end of the 12 foot four tunnel. Garmins 785 RV GPS had no info for this road.
Based on the BRP App, there is only one tunnel in the north end of the parkway, and it's the Bluff Mountain Tunnel at 53.1 mile post. It's 18'6" max height and 13'1" minimum height. No more tunnels until 333.4 mile post. The Lickstone Ridge tunnel @ 458.8 mile post is 17'7" maximum and 11'8" minimum. The Bunches Bald tunnel 459.3 mile post is 18' maximum and 12'3" minimum height. The Big Witch tunnel @ 461.2 mile post is 18' maximum and 11'7" minimum height. We plan on leaving the parkway @ NC Route 191 to Asheville & Hendersonville (MP 393.6) before we encounter the low tunnels.

We would like to go as far as the Richland Balsam Overlook (Milepost 431.4). Richland Balsam surpasses 6,000 feet and is, in fact, the highest point on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We would then exit @ US Hwy 74/23 to Waynesville & Sylva (MP 443.1) This would all be weather dependent.