Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2024, 06:43 PM   #1
bootstrap
Established Member

M.O.C. #34728
Hello from Texas

Hello all,
We are rocking a new to us 2004 Montana 5ver and a 21' Ram 2500 6.7/Aisin. We are empty nesters and about to get into oilfield gate guard business to try out. I would think if that works out we will be upgrading soon. Currently we use it for camping/fishing at local lakes and taking our grandson on camping adventures. We are curious about the work camping experience and hoping for positive experiences. I've worked in the oilfield since the 90's and have a good idea of what to expect but we will see. I'm curious to read about the newer models to potentially upgrade to for full timing. For a 20 year old camper, it has held up very well. I'll work on getting my signature completed with our info.

bootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 07:16 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Welcome to MOC. Enjoy your new previously owned camper. That is how I buy campers.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 08:57 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
James,

Welcome to the forum! A great place to learn and share.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 06:36 AM   #4
Pa_5er
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20027
Welcome

Hello and welcome to the forum! We started our work camping life this May. We have been camp hosted in two Alabama State Parks and love it. We still have our house, but hope to sell it soon. BTW, we are in a 2001 Montana 3255RL. Have fun!!!
Pa_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 07:53 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Welcome from Granger!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 09:03 AM   #6
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Welcome n enjoy. Be safe
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 11:57 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the MOC
Old 08-22-2024, 03:26 PM   #8
bootstrap
Established Member

M.O.C. #34728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa_5er View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum! We started our work camping life this May. We have been camp hosted in two Alabama State Parks and love it. We still have our house, but hope to sell it soon. BTW, we are in a 2001 Montana 3255RL. Have fun!!!
How do you get into camp host at the parks? My wife is from Alabama and I know we will be over there at some point
Old 08-23-2024, 07:30 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums. Working camping is a great way to experience a nomadic life style and be free of the responsibility of maintaining a stick-n-brick house. But, it's NOT for everyone though! If someone has an attachment or "roots" that draws them back "home", the lifestyle can result in a lot of home sickness. But, if someone has "roots", then accepts assignments with a start and end date, this help alleviates some of that longing to return "home". Again, it all depends upon the individual.

I do "camp hosting" but do not get a salary to do so. I do get a free, all expense paid, full hook-up campsite. I do two different locations, one in North Carolina and one in Louisiana. The two position job responsibilities are about as opposite as any can get. And I love doing both.

I think the biggest challenge, or obstacle to overcome, if one is "work camping" (for money) or "camp hosting" (volunteering) or a combination of both, are personal finances. As long as one has their financial situation worked out, and can live comfortable on that income, then this is a fantastic life-style.

Staying long term in a geographical area has it's benefits. Unlike tourists that just pass through, you have the opportunity to actually learn about the area you are in, it's culture, it's history, the people. And, you will visit and tour areas also that the normal "transient day tourist" never gets to experience. That's what I really enjoy about camp hosting. I have multiple opportunities to experience and see and go places that tourists (and sometimes even the local population) never get to see or do. It's really, all a matter of how you apply yourself, what you end up getting out of the experience.

I think the second "challenge" for "work camping" or "camp hosting" is the fact it's got some longevity to it. Your camper will experience all 4 seasons of the year, or you will be moving from location to location in order to avoid weather extremes as the seasons change. This takes some planning and fore thought. Stay and weather the elements, or move on to more mild climates. It's something you have to work though and be content with, either way you choose.

And third: Make sure you have an "exit plan" strategy tucked away in the back ground in case things do not work out, or something happens that changes your plans rather abruptly. I can happen, it does happen, so always have an "exit plan" in your pocket.

For us, we still own our house as our son is living in it and we've added him to our deed. So, technically, the house is his (and ours). So if something happens to us, the house becomes ALL his. Meanwhile, if something happens to us, we can pack up and head home and be there in a couple days or less. He also has his own vehicle, but he also has our second vehicle at home too. He has access to our bank accounts and we have access to his. In the event of anything happening to us, we know we can count on him to help us, with whatever we may need in an emergency.

So, it IS important to have an "exit" strategedy tucked away in your back pocket, for a "just-in-case" experience happens.

These are the lessons I've learned. For what it's worth, this year, we are back at the house a total of 7 weeks this years.... The rest of the time, we're enjoying the nomadic lifestyle! Totally no cost campsites for almost an entire year! What a life! It's fantastic!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 07:16 PM   #10
Pa_5er
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20027
BTW

We decided not to upgrade to a newer camper because the construction on our 2001 is excellent. We have remodeled most of the inside, installed 3 -100ah Battleborn batteries, and a 3000 watt inverter charger. We already have our workamping job lined up for next April-October. Have fun!!!
Pa_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 08:01 AM   #11
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Congrats on the new/used trailer. Your 2004 is probably better built and will outlast a new 2024.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 09:24 AM   #12
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Welcome best of luck to you. Sounds like an interesting job
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 03:52 PM   #13
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Newer rigs don’t have the AC yours might. I have a 2020 and run three units in Texas heat.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote