Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 AM   #21
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

Sorry to burst your bubble but.

I have worked on the GM, Cat, Cummings, Mercedes and Isuzu diesel sense the early 70’s.

When compared to weight verses sizes and HP out put the Isuzu has always out classed the others and did not start using the glow plug until they turbo charged them and then like the Cummings the heater for start doesn’t operate until the temperature gets down where heat is needed. The difference is Cummings uses a heater grid in the intake instead of glow plugs.

I worked on all of them in equipment from excavators to automobiles I have even worked on the 2 stroke GM 4-53 diesel in pickup trucks back in the 90’s.

Phil P
Are you responding to the right post?. What does that have to do with my choice of trucks? and even gives me one more point to the Cummins. No glow plugs.

Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #22
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Hi

I have worked on the GM, Cat, Cummings, Mercedes and Isuzu diesel sense the early 70’s.

When compared to weight verses sizes and HP out put the Isuzu has always out classed the others and did not start using the glow plug until they turbo charged them and then like the Cummings the heater for start doesn’t operate until the temperature gets down where heat is needed. The difference is Cummings uses a heater grid in the intake instead of glow plugs.

I worked on all of them in equipment from excavators to automobiles I have even worked on the 2 stroke GM 4-53 diesel in pickup trucks back in the 90’s.

Phil P
Is there an Isuzu truck we should be looking at to pull our rigs?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think what Eagleback was referring to is the Cummings engine is usually considered a mid duty engine and the Power Stroke and Duramax are considered light duty engine.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #24
gkonney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19870
Isuzu has built the GM Duramax for years...not really sure what the arrangement is today. Just like International used to build the PowerStroke...until all the problems arose. They brought the new 6.7 in house to one of their facilities in Mexico to hopefully better control their quality. Time will tell
You can follow us at: https://campingkonneys.wordpress.com/
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #25
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I think what Eagleback was referring to is the Cummings engine is usually considered a mid duty engine and the Power Stroke and Duramax are considered light duty engine.
Lynwood
What i'm saying is, I love Gm trucks. If they offered a Cummins in it i would more than likely own one. and would own one if it was gas. When we had the farm the only engines that were talked about in our group was the Perkins, John Deere series, Cummins, cat, Detroit, because they are (IMHO) the engines that power America. I haven't seen a Duramax or powerstroke plowing its way across the field so that's what i mean as it being my choice and not to down anyone else's choice in trucks. It makes me feel better knowing that i have a company that produces over 30 different engines and with decades of experience in producing power plants for all applications farm and fleet and not just pickup trucks.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What I would like make that love to see in these trucks is a 6 L Ecoboost type engine. Going by the Power my 2.7 makes it could make an easy 600 HP and 900 pound feet of torque. With all that power at 2750 RPMs I would be first in line to get one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #27
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
I believe it’s all in what each individual likes and suites them best.All three diesels are good trucks and hauling RV’s cross country everyday somewhere.
All have pros and cons so no one is better then the other.I personally have a new Duramax and very well pleased.I think Ford and Dodge are just as good.Just personal preference.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:17 AM   #28
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Sorry folks I just took it for granted that everyone knew GM owns Isuzu and Isuzu make the engine GM uses in their pickup trucks.

Ford used the International 7.3 for many years.

Dodge uses the Cummings.

All three are light duty engines.

One note before I go on all of the engines used in the light duty pickups will start when using a 24v starting system without any heat inducing appliance under normal condition. The 12v start doesn’t normally have the power to do this.

The GM Isuzu engine doesn’t need glow plugs to start until the temperature gets down in the 40’s.

GM / Isuzu started using the glow plug when they turbo charged the engine because all diesels inject fuel to cylinders that were not in position to make enough heat to burn the fuel at least 1 on the 6 cylinder engine and 2 on the 8 cylinder. This raw fuel is detrimental to the power turbine over a long period of time. Glow plugs cause this fuel to burn for that purpose. I got this information way back when taking a training class for the maintenance on crane with the Isuzu v8 that is now use in the GM pickups.

The Ford International and the Ford diesel use them for the same reason.

Cummings doesn’t use glow plugs they use a heater grid in the induction system for starting purpose. The statement that Cummings doesn’t use glow plugs is correct but is irrelevant.

The debate as to which system is best has been going on for years. I don’t see any difference they both aid in the start.

Now both systems are mandated by the tier 4 EPA requirements and the late model GM / Isuzu and the Ford will go into limp mode if a single glow plug fails.

The fleet I manage has several heavy duty Cummings diesels and like the cat’s and JD’s they are 24V start and don’t use any heat assist for starting.

I only have one dodge in the fleet and it isn’t used just sits so I don’t do maintenance on it. The new Dodge was totaled in an accident while still in warranty and is not slated for replacement.

It’s good to see GM building the medium duty truck again they have been missed for the last 8 years.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #29
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
What i'm saying is, I love Gm trucks. If they offered a Cummins in it i would more than likely own one. and would own one if it was gas. When we had the farm the only engines that were talked about in our group was the Perkins, John Deere series, Cummins, cat, Detroit, because they are (IMHO) the engines that power America. I haven't seen a Duramax or powerstroke plowing its way across the field so that's what i mean as it being my choice and not to down anyone else's choice in trucks. It makes me feel better knowing that i have a company that produces over 30 different engines and with decades of experience in producing power plants for all applications farm and fleet and not just pickup trucks.

There are plenty of the Duramax engines plowing their way across the fields in excavators, cranes and dozers etc but they have the Isuzu label on them.

We get them in rental equipment when needed.

Phil P
Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #30
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Per Wikipedia "Isuzu co-designed and built some of the Duramax V8 engine along with General Motors from 2001-2010."

The Isuzu engine web site dosent even show the 6.6 liter diesel at all and the Cummins web site shows the 6.7 b-series. Like i said in my previous post that I picked a truck and not to down anyone else with there choice, that (I) have a diesel made by a manufacture that has been around for almost 100 years and makes engines for all makes and types of applications. I haven't yet seen a Peterbuilt with a Isuzu. Does Isuzu offer there motor in anything other than an Isuzu?. If so i stand corrected but the Cummins on the other hand produced the first American diesel powered car, has millions of engines in many different forms and in many different applications that the power stroke and duramax (Isuzu) can even compete with and with more and than 3/4 of them are still in running condition. like i said before I love the Chevy i have had them all my life and if GM offers a diesel that is a cat, Detroit or Cummins under their hood I would more than likely own one and that's why the Ram is in my driveway.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #31
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Per Wikipedia "Isuzu co-designed and built some of the Duramax V8 engine along with General Motors from 2001-2010."

The Isuzu engine web site dosent even show the 6.6 liter diesel at all and the Cummins web site shows the 6.7 b-series. Like i said in my previous post that I picked a truck and not to down anyone else with there choice, that (I) have a diesel made by a manufacture that has been around for almost 100 years and makes engines for all makes and types of applications. I haven't yet seen a Peterbuilt with a Isuzu. Does Isuzu offer there motor in anything other than an Isuzu?. If so i stand corrected but the Cummins on the other hand produced the first American diesel powered car, has millions of engines in many different forms and in many different applications that the power stroke and duramax (Isuzu) can even compete with and with more and than 3/4 of them are still in running condition. like i said before I love the Chevy i have had them all my life and if GM offers a diesel that is a cat, Detroit or Cummins under their hood I would more than likely own one and that's why the Ram is in my driveway.
I'll keep my Powerstroke 6.7. On my 3rd without a problem and average 45,000 - 50,000 miles annually. If not it would be a Duramax as I'm partial to Ford and one Ram was 1 too many. I can think of no reason Ford or GM would want to supply motors to any other application. It all comes down to personal preference.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #32
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
I agree 100% preference is the deciding factor.The Ford or Duramax will stand up to the Cummins any day.I don’t believe any one of the three is superior to the other.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #33
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
GM is producing several Cab Over Medium Duty Cab and Chassis trucks that are using an Isuzu diesel. Don't know much about them as they're in the Fleet/Commercial side of GM.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 AM   #34
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I worked on my first Isuzu diesel in 1968 so I think they have had a little experience building them.

And as I said for the size, weight and responsive power they out shine the rest of the light diesels.

As for GM they haven’t designed any of their units GM was founded on buying patent holders then improving on the product. The 2 stroke Diesel GM is so famous for was patented by Gray.

Phil P

PS: I inadvertently spun the rear wheels of our Duramax merging into traffic on I95 again last week. Dry road and on the pavement not on a marking line but I was about 800 Lbs lighter than normal because we didn’t have the 800 lb Steam Locomotive in the basement. Total weight 22,500 lbs.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 AM   #35
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I just had a look at a real Cummings heavy duty diesel. It’s as tall as I am when standing next to it and is as long as a short wheel base 1 tone pickup truck.

That’s a heavy duty diesel.

They want me to get it running.

This will be an interesting project a 35 year old diesel that hasn’t been run in 15 years.

Phil
Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 AM   #36
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Post a pic of that there diesel. I have seen on you tube many diesels sitting for years and then starting right up. A 7.3 power stroke in an old bus for one and that was the best diesel ford ever had. and my neighbor had an old John Deere row cropper in the back field for 40 years and one day we were having a few and decided to try to start it and in about an 2 hours it fired up and ran with the birds nest flying everywhere. LOL
Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #37
allmi01
Established Member

M.O.C. #13124
The power stroke 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4 a variant of the International / Navistar light duty engines found in Navistar trucks and buses.

There are a lot of them on the road.

Also, International build a lot of farm and construction equipment with their own engines. That mostly ended with Fiat buying out Case who had bought International Harvester division from Navistar.

Sadly, now there are all FPT (Fiat Power Train). And am fans, get ready, out with Cummins and in with FPT coming soon.

Mike
allmi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:49 AM   #38
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

If I get back out there I will get pictures.

As for running and old diesel that has been sitting a long time they do store well. I went out on a GM 3-71 that had sat for 11 years and got it running after repairing the starter and un-sticking some injectors. This unit didn’t have a fuel tank they use portable tanks on wheels.

But the difference here is the 1,000 gallon fuel tank has been sitting full for the last 15 years. So the next step is to get a fuel sample kit and a clamshell sampling device and get samples to run for microbial contamination and Cetane ratting.

Phil P
Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #39
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Navistar does offer Diesels in their truck but strangely Cummins is an option. On the buses, Cummins only.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #40
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
Hi

Phil P
THERE IS NO "g"in Cummins Engines. There is a reason Ram has used Cummins Engines for what? Almost 30 years, they work. I will never own a GM product, and Ford is playing leap frog with Ram on power. The new 6.7 with the aisan (sp) is a bullet proof combo in a Ram.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote