Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Campground Hosts?

Anyone "out there" who's ever been, or currently are, or scheduled to be a Campground Host?

If so, how do you like it? I know every campground, every park has their own criteria for job responsibilities, Some campground management have higher expectations than others, some duty requirements are more extensive than others, and some even offer a salary.

So the question is, was the position everything you thought it would be? Or once you got there, were there unexpected or unwanted surprises in the duty that soured the entire experience.

Was management good to work with? Overall, did you enjoy it, or was it a bad mistake?

I'd love to hear how it worked out for you.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:07 AM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Interesting topic for discussion Dutchman. I was looking forward to replies, but alas none so far. The DW and I had discussed the same train of thought for approximately three years down the road. Not quite to where I can retire yet, but very much looking forward to doing so. Hope you get plenty of replies and info. Best of luck!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:30 AM   #3
Roadtravelers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19116
Thumbs up Workamper

Hello We are currently a workamping couple at the Homestead RV Community in Theadore Alabama. This is our first working position. We also looked into this for about a year ago and finally this spot came open for us last July. We have been lucky at this job. When we arrived here last year there was another couple here but they left shortly after. We do not work hard but it keeps us busy. We pick up the garbage and clean bathrooms daily. if there is something that needs to be fixed we do it also. The Owner of the community is a great guy to work with. It is a new resort. Almost all guests are long term guests. It has been a learning experience for us. You need to be willing to help out the guests and be friendly to everyone. I hope this helps out on making your dream come true We do not regret it and look forward to return to Homestead RV Community again in the future.
Roadtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:21 AM   #4
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
DW and I have been doing it for 9 years. If it was not good we would have quit . We like the Corps of Engineers best. We have been to multiple site for them and every one was enjoyable. The US Forest Sevice was good as well. We dont have a lot of experience with private RV parks but getting a detailed contract before starting so everyone knows what is expected is vital.

John and Jackie
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #5
JNLVaughn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29819
We have workamper for 3 years. In all the places we've been we have been extremely lucky with owner/managers.
If you accept position and turns out to not be what you expected, what you were told it would be etc. you can always leave. Having home on wheels is great advantage.

John and LouAnn
2021 3791RD
JNLVaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #6
Rebel702
Established Member

M.O.C. #21201
Another option if you are looking just to stay busy is a couple that started a non-profit that enlists RVers to help on building projects. A Year to Volunteer (Y2V RV) on YouTube.

Jim & Pat / '18 Montana 3811MS / '18 Ford F350SD / Pullrite ISR2300 SuperGlide
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:55 PM   #7
2350nbabe

M.O.C. #14061
Smile Campground Hosts - Workamper

We were Campground Hosts in a National Forest, volunteered on 2 different occasions at a National Wildlife Refuge and a Fish and Wildlife Fish Hatchery. They were all very rewarding. We also volunteered at a private RV park out in AZ. It likewise was a rewarding experience. We never worked for pay. We always received our site, full hookups with no charge for electric and no charge for propane. It's an amazing and wonderful way to see different parts of the USA. We did this for 5 years and made friends with some amazing and dear friends. We highly recommend this lifestyle if you are a people person. You will meet all kinds and must take into consideration the various mindsets of various individuals.
2350nbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #8
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We have hosted at 5 SC State Parks since 2015. We enjoyed camping at those parks, so giving back is the way we look at it. The work very from park to park, so make sure you know what is expected of you. In SC State Parks you get the use on a campsite in exchange for you volunteering. Most parks ask for 25 hours per site.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Kind of a follow-up on this topic. So far I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck for 2022. But for 2023 things are looking a bit better outside of Indiana. I'm getting some applications "out there". I haven't had any luck in Indiana though. But, I'm not giving up either.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:00 PM   #10
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
We have been doing it over 8 years now and will continue for awhile yet. And if we did not like it we would not be doing it. no one has taken the wheel out from under the montana. We have mostly done State Parks and US Army Corps of Engineers. The Corps has treated us just great. The State Parks have been good also. I connot think of one I would not return to. Presently we are at a City owned campground. Plan on returning next summer. it is Chisholm iron Trail Campground in Chisholm, Mn. If In the area stop in to visit
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote