Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2023, 05:04 PM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Unhappy Stranded in Pagosa Springs

Bad luck repeated again and again. Wasn't supposed to stop in PAgosa. Coming in from Durango, the engine started making a little more noise than usual. Rather than attempt Wolf Creek Pass with a potential problem, I found a repair shop. The were to check it out and get back to me. So I had to park the Monty at a RV PArk right next door to the repair place, which was the only good thing that has happened.
So next day they tell me the turbo is bad. Ordered it on Monday afternoon and should be in Wed. Well it came in Friday. Guess what - only one diesel guy at the repair place and Monday he has kidney stones!!! Out 2 days, so starts work Wednesday installing new turbo. Got it done Friday morning and turbo is working. However seems as if the #2 injector is bad. So 2 days later it comes in and it is working. However, the #2 cylinder is only about 1/3 normal pressure! A sort of expert they talked to said he has never had a Chevy do this, but several Ford and Rams. LUcky me! Guess is that the injector was shooting in extra fuel, and when the turbo stuck open, it flooded a bunch of fuel into the cylinder and washed the oil of the walls and there was metal on metal at that point.

The only fix is a different engine or truck! They ordered a used engine from Nebraska with 66K miles on it. Paid $240 to use Fed Ex to get 2 day delivery (this is on Monday). So Wed. - no engine. Thurs.- no engine. Friday around 2 pm engine arrives. So today (Friday) they start work on it. Well this weekend is July 4th so not open Monday or Tuesday. So maybe it will get done Wednesday or Thursday!

That is 4 weeks to the day since we got here. I have moved to a total of 4 sites within the rv park, and probably lucky I got into the spot I am in for almost 2 weeks. So if it gets installed by Thursday or Friday, I have a place to stay!!
I had to cancel 13 campgrounds, several in Canada and 9 days in Yellowstone at the Fishing bridge booked 1 year in advance! Cut out all of Canada and am continuing with our trip. Wife always complained because I move on ever 2-5 days and she would like to stay someplace for a while. She got her wish!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I guess I am done crying in my beer for a while! Thanks for listening!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:37 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
That is unusual for a Dmax engine. It could happen to any of them. Good luck getting it fixed.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 05:53 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Wow Tom. If bad things come in three’s…turbo - cylinder - engine…you should be good to go for a while. But being stuck in Pagosa Springs is probably a blessing.

My sad story happened August 1993 in nowhere Texas -102* in the shade - 40 miles southeast of Laredo in my under-powered Chevy Celebrity wagon pulling a Coleman popup with 3 kids and a dog. Five days in the Holiday Inn. Haven’t been back to Laredo since.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:09 PM   #4
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
Wow, talk about being flexible on an RV trip! But hey - at least you are in beautiful Pagosa Springs. Since this whole episode has undoubtedly been very inexpensive you should splurge on a hot air balloon ride. DW and I flew Pagosa Springs a couple of years ago and it was a spectacular bucket list experience.

Sounds like you’ve kept a remarkably positive attitude during all of this. I hope the repair is completed soon and you can get on your way.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:13 PM   #5
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Wow Tom! Had no idea you were having such issues, not to mention your scenario had been going on for a month! Sorta of makes the rest of our "issues" pale in comparison. Do let us know when you finally make it out of Pagosa Springs. Hang in there buddy, there HAS to be light at the end of the tunnel.....
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:23 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Wow Tom! Had no idea you were having such issues, not to mention your scenario had been going on for a month! Sorta of makes the rest of our "issues" pale in comparison. Do let us know when you finally make it out of Pagosa Springs. Hang in there buddy, there HAS to be light at the end of the tunnel.....
I sure hope so. I think I was getting an ulcer the first 2 weeks - should be done in 2 days, no it should be done in another 3 days, no it should be in in 4 days... It was constant up - oh good, bad oh crap over and over. Finally I am in this site and they have 3 extra work days to get out in time for my new reservations. I certainly hope things start breaking my way!!
(I was really looking forward to 9 days in Yellowstone and 3 weeks in Canada see some new parts of BC and Alberta we have not seen. ONe of the roads would take us over 2 ferries (free run by Canada) and new sites.)

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 06-30-2023, 08:01 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Sorry to hear Tom. That sucks, but like you said it could be worse without a camp site. Sit back relax and enjoy a cold one! Hopefully the weather is good for you.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:41 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Reminds me of being stuck in Rapid City six years ago with a bad turbo. Fortunately the injectors were good and no other damage. Got it in to the Chevy dealer on Tuesday and drove away on Friday with the new turbo. It's really strange seeing your truck all apart to get to the turbo. Mechanic just about to remove the bad turbo and the new one is on the bench near the paper towels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	14883   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	14884  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:00 PM   #9
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Sorry that happened to you, but there are worse places to be stranded.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:53 PM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Yep, this is a nice place to be stuck - just frustrating. We had .1 inch or less of rain one day. Been sunny to mostly sunny the whole rest of the 3 weeks so far. Highs between 80 and 84 with lows in the 40s or low 50s. Plenty of places to eat (except on Monday for some reason!).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 07-01-2023, 08:07 AM   #11
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I read a blog by a couple who got stuck on Newfoundland for a couple of months with a blown engine.
We had a rough start this season.
Water heater element.
Fridge control board.
Trailer Brakes.
BOTH left tires fell off destroyed the skirt (scheduled for repair at Affinity after the rally).
This was the first time in 5 years I did NOT check the torque on everything before leaving home.
4 hours into the first leg, torque converter went out. Spent a week in Lawrence KS.
DW, crashed on her bike. Broke her nose.
Broke a leaf spring hanger in Moab. Spent an extra week there waiting for a mobile welder, which was great. Toured around a bit more.
Planning on reinforcing the leaf spring hangers.
All in all we count our blessings. The tires that came off didn't hit anyone. We were 10 miles from home. Replacement parts (drums) were readily available. Lawrence KS is a beautiful city with an excellent Ford dealership and mechanic who really knows his stuff. Got lucky and found a torque converter in Texas (there was none available in the parts system and they were on back order). And as for the leaf spring hanger, Moab is a great place to be broken down and the welder did a fantastic job. I wanted him to weld in the reinforcement but he cut the angle iron a bit short and we skipped that part.
Again We count our blessings.
Everything that has happened took place where repairs were readily available.
Safe travels everyone.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:13 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Wow! You guys make any troubles I have experienced along the road seem small.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:18 PM   #13
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Wow that sucks. Thought you were going to say you crashed into the feed store.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:20 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think you have a great attitude towards this. You could cuss and roll around on the floor crying but what good would that do, none. You just as well make the best of it and go on with your life.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:56 PM   #15
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I think you have a great attitude towards this. You could cuss and roll around on the floor crying but what good would that do, none. You just as well make the best of it and go on with your life.
Lynwood
I couldn't agree with Lynwood more...
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:20 PM   #16
1wayhighway
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30465
wowsers.. We have yet to have that level of trouble, I hope I have the same level of patience as you have had if we hit that kind of bump in the road.

2022 3500 GMC Duramax
2022 3121 Montana
1wayhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:43 PM   #17
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I don't really have all that much patience. Just nothing I can do about it except wait until it is fixed. A week ago I think I was getting an ulcer tho!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 07-02-2023, 01:17 PM   #18
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your truck. We had similar issues in Canada a few years a go. Horrible Chrysler service and campground not very helpful. Now we have transmission issues and are at the mercy of a garage again. It’s a pain to say the least. Hoping we don’t have to cancel to many reservations after this. Really wanting to just go home. Good luck.
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 05:23 PM   #19
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Needle, Ca

We blew a transmission climbing out of Needle, Ca and got to spend a week in beautiful Needle, 112+ degrees everyday. Two young kids. No problem Bates Motel has a pool. Day 2 couple takes their baby swimming…. Pool turns dark green and we’re all told pool closed for health reasons. As we’re checking out at end of week manager said we should have gone down to the river and colded off…🤪. Travel enough and everyone has a story!
Old 07-06-2023, 09:10 AM   #20
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Yep, this is a nice place to be stuck - just frustrating. We had .1 inch or less of rain one day. Been sunny to mostly sunny the whole rest of the 3 weeks so far. Highs between 80 and 84 with lows in the 40s or low 50s. Plenty of places to eat (except on Monday for some reason!).
Your frustrations and memories will subside eventually,,, you will chuckle and know how blessed we are to have this lifestyle. Sounds like you have the right attitude to get through this bump! You came to the right place for venting/sharing. Gosh I’m sorry ..but a little battery issues now seems silly to us.
Slugchick is offline   Reply With Quote