Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2024, 10:37 AM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
What screws to attach exterior sun shade

I plan on adding a Coolaroo roll down sun screen to the kitchen table windows. The shade comes with wood screws, but I don't know what kind I should use for the exterior filon. The screen only weighs about 7 pounds, but not sure what size/type of screws to get.

I was thinking about putting a metal plate about 6 or 8 inches square on the wall, then using a selftaping screw to attach the bracket to the steel plate.
So ideas?? And how long and big should the screws be?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 10:59 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Is it fair to assume that there is an aluminum frame around the window? That, and the fiberglass wall, should give you decent backing if you don't overdrive the screw. Awnings and hand rails are attached to the same sub-structure. I think I would just get some 1 - 1 1/2" flat head stainless self tapping screws. Use butyl backing tape as well.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 04:05 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Tom - Coolaroo shades may have as many shades as GM has cars - I don’t know. We bought one out of a Home Depot close out bin maybe 15 years ago and I put it up on the front porch to block west Sun when we first moved out here. It’s about 6’ wide x 6’ long. Now the trees we planted are 30’-40’ tall and the west sun is not an issue like it was. I don’t remember the last time it was deployed.

The photo below is my shade…plastic mounting bracket on each end and “chain” to roll it up and down. There is no way this thing would hold up to travel. Does Coolaroo make an RV shade suitable for travel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6400.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	16297  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:59 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Mikendebbie, LIke I said, the new 6x6 shade is only 7 lb. That doesn't seem too heavy - or is it? For the extra strength that is why I am thinking out of a steel plate with about 6 screws into the wall. The actual mounting brackets only have 3 screws on each end, so I figure 3 bolts into steel would be solid.
If it doesn't hold up, it is only either $60 or $80.

Last summer when stuck in Pogosa for 31 days we had full afternoon sun for about 20 days. Those big windows just kill the temp inside!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 01-13-2024, 07:33 PM   #5
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
I would think #8 or #10 screws. I like your idea of the plate to spread out the weight and pressure but I take it your aiming for a stud and/or header so six may be too many (if some will just go into the Filon) depending on the screw pattern you’re planning on using. Keep in mind the studs look thin so I would hand tighten vs using a battery operated tool. You might want the hole in the Filon net or just slightly larger to the screw diameter so you don’t stress the laminate and initiate a crack.

I also see where MikeandDebbie are coming from. We have a home shade like this and I wonder if it would hold up to 60-65 mph side wind and constant bouncing during travel. Even when rolled up, I can see that bar slapping the wall or the glass as you go down the road. You might need to wrap it or bungee cord the bar. Or, if you’re going to tap into plates, maybe use studs and wing nuts or something relatively easy to take down for travel.

In case helpful, here’s a link to how Keystone builds walls.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:11 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Think about how our Dometic patio shades are attached to the RV. The fabric is captured full length in an extrusion attached to the RV wall with fasteners at ~12” oc. The Coolaroo (and similar shades) are attached only at the ends of the roller tube. I see disastrous results at 60 mph.

I would be looking for shades that can be put up while stationary and taken down for travel using snaps or Velcro or magnets.

Magne Shade makes custom order window shades with metal plates sewn into the shade, then you apply rare earth magnets with 3M self-sticky backs to the glass. The magnets stay on the glass but you can remove the shade. I can imagine that these are not cheap but they will solve the problem. Primary customers for these appear to be motorhome owners. Call them with your window measurements and get a quote. It’s free to get a quote…or look them up at an RV show (second screen shot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	16298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	16299  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:33 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My problem with shades that get removed when traveling is the top of the window must be 8 or 9 feet high. I don't carry a ladder, so difficult to access the top.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500