Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2023, 07:39 PM   #1
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
Question Charging batteries with a 2000w generator

I have question. We travel to Florida taking two days to get to our destination. So I’m wondering is a 2000 w genny enough to charge the batteries while running the heat for a day until we get to the warmer climates.
We usually don’t boondock at all except for traveling to Florida.
We have two 100 amp batteries and they charge while traveling but my question is should I use an adapter from 30 to 50 amp while stopped and use the onboard charging system or charge the batteries using a battery charger. I’m thinking just plug in using the adapter. so we don’t run down the batteries while using propane for heat and a light or two. The residential fridge doesn’t use much. I have a battery monitor and about six hours after stopping the low battery alarm will start sounding off and we are out of power.
What are your thoughts
Charge the batteries using a charger or hookup with an adapter?
I hope I wasn’t too winded but hope you have enough info.

Thanks in advance, Bob

Dobie dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:17 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Use the 2000W generator with adapters to have the on board converter charge the batteries. I have used my Honda 2K to do this for years boondocking.

I doubt you will get more the 7 amps of charge from the truck when driving. May not be enough if you have a residential refer.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:17 PM   #3
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Use the 2000W generator with adapters to have the on board converter charge the batteries. I have used my Honda 2K to do this for years boondocking.

I doubt you will get more the 7 amps of charge from the truck when driving. May not be enough if you have a residential refer.
Good to hear it works for you. I’m sure it will work for my needs too. Thanks
Dobie dogs is offline   Reply With Quote