Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2023, 01:52 PM   #1
RVRoadrambler

M.O.C. #24372
Need advice/ opinions on slide out repair

We have a 2016 3711fl with the opposing slideouts for the living room area upfront. After 8yrs of full-timing we discovered that the material used for the underside of each slideout is different. One is slick surface & identical to the tan color used all over the rest of the rig while the other is more like a textured black plastic.
I never understood why they were different but I think I got that answer covered on another thread.
Anyway, upon arriving at our current location we discovered that the tan flooring incurred an indentation right about where the nylon roller sits when the slide is retracted for traveling. In an effort to try and avoid replacing the entire floor of the slideout I'm considering trying a repair and enhancement to it to see if it will work but, am wanting to gather some opinions about my idea first.
I am considering purchasing a couple of 1/8" thick by 6" wide pcs of UHMW either in tape form with adhesive on one side or just sheet material to run the depth of the slide where the rollers track.
My questions are:
1. Is this a feasible solution? 2. Which product do you think would be the better option and why?
I'm not crazy about the idea of mechanical fastening with screws underneath there but for some reason feel like the sheet might be more rigid than the tape even though it's the same thickness? I don't know, but those are the questions haunting me before pulling the trigger. Hopefully someone has some experience and can help me out here.
Thanks

RVRoadrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 03:02 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The black fabric bottom is probably darco fabric. The tan material is probably a piece of filon similar to the sides of the RV. Are you the original owner? If you are - maybe the day your slide was made they ran out of darco, but had a pile of scrap filon and glued it up to the bottom...just my theory - I really don't know how it got there. I think I recall one other instance recently where someone apparently had cream colored filon on the bottom of a slide.

In the FILES section (brown strip above on this page) you will find UMHV darco fix by ChuckS. You install the strips to go over the rollers and the darco will not degrade anymore due to running back and forth over the rollers. You can add them to the filon also. The screws are counter-sunk into the UMHV. The write-up shows screw sizes to use. Lots of folks here on the forum have added the strips with good results.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:29 PM   #3
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I've seen the bottoms of slides covered in multiple materials. Sounds like you have some with darco (woven plastic material) and another solid type material (I've seen it, tapped it and touched it but don't know exactly what it is).

If the darco (woven fabric) isn't tearing up that's a good thing. The "denting" is on the tan solid surface right? What about it makes you think the floor would need to be replaced? Those rollers make a dent/mark on whatever the run across.

Uhmw is a fantastic material/tool to use on darco repairs but I'm not envisioning what is going on with the solid bottom slide.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 10:11 AM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83948

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=85939

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=81

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=64
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
RVRoadrambler

M.O.C. #24372
Thank you for the responses and links. I have actually already scoured through those threads previously regarding the Darco fabric fraying and whatnot. But this issue is with the front living room slides which are covered with a hard plastic or fiberglass siding of some sort. The one side is black & textured ( not Darco) and the other is smooth tan which matches the body of most the rest of the rig. I believe it was suggested to be "Filon" by someone above. But, it is this slide that has, not just tracking marks, but an actual indentation or puncture at the place where the nylon roller rests during travel. These are cable driven slides not hydraulic and my hangup was mostly on whether a roll of 1/8" UHMW with adhesive would be as rigid as placing strips of 1/8" sheet of the same material?

I mentioned not wanting to replace the entire flooring because on another thread when I mentioned this problem before, someone had stated that the Filon was probably used because it was end of shift and they didn't have anymore of the plastic that should be on the bottom (like the black stuff on the other side) and that it is not as strong of a material and not sufficient for handling that kind of wear and abuse when going down the road.

Here is a link to the UHMW rolls with adhesive backing that I am pondering:

https://www.eplastics.com/accessories/plastic-tape/SLICKSTRIP0-125X12-000-PER-FT
RVRoadrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:02 AM   #6
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadrambler View Post
Thank you for the responses and links. I have actually already scoured through those threads previously regarding the Darco fabric fraying and whatnot. But this issue is with the front living room slides which are covered with a hard plastic or fiberglass siding of some sort. The one side is black & textured ( not Darco) and the other is smooth tan which matches the body of most the rest of the rig. I believe it was suggested to be "Filon" by someone above. But, it is this slide that has, not just tracking marks, but an actual indentation or puncture at the place where the nylon roller rests during travel. These are cable driven slides not hydraulic and my hangup was mostly on whether a roll of 1/8" UHMW with adhesive would be as rigid as placing strips of 1/8" sheet of the same material?

I mentioned not wanting to replace the entire flooring because on another thread when I mentioned this problem before, someone had stated that the Filon was probably used because it was end of shift and they didn't have anymore of the plastic that should be on the bottom (like the black stuff on the other side) and that it is not as strong of a material and not sufficient for handling that kind of wear and abuse when going down the road.

Here is a link to the UHMW rolls with adhesive backing that I am pondering:

https://www.eplastics.com/accessories/plastic-tape/SLICKSTRIP0-125X12-000-PER-FT
I used Chucks method. Works great. I think the sheet will be more rigid with more support. Its a tried and proven method. The roll just seems like maybe a softer material with less support. Adhesive backing is questionable as you really don’t know the quality and durability of it. I used marine silicone to seal which acts as both an adhesive and waterproof seal. Marine silicone is much stronger and tougher than most other silicone type sealers, while still having flexibility. There is “removable” and “permanent” types of marine silicone. Trust me, the permanent is just that. You will destroy whatever it is on trying to remove it.The removable will take lots of elbow grease to remove. The stuff is tuff as nails and perfect for this kind of job. Thats my recommendation.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 02:38 PM   #7
robin Jackie

M.O.C. #32711
could you communicate with me privately please
robin Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 02:46 PM   #8
robin Jackie

M.O.C. #32711

[could you communicate with me privately please

LIST=1][/LIST]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
The black fabric bottom is probably darco fabric. The tan material is probably a piece of filon similar to the sides of the RV. Are you the original owner? If you are - maybe the day your slide was made they ran out of darco, but had a pile of scrap filon and glued it up to the bottom...just my theory - I really don't know how it got there. I think I recall one other instance recently where someone apparently had cream colored filon on the bottom of a slide.

In the FILES section (brown strip above on this page) you will find UMHV darco fix by ChuckS. You install the strips to go over the rollers and the darco will not degrade anymore due to running back and forth over the rollers. You can add them to the filon also. The screws are counter-sunk into the UMHV. The write-up shows screw sizes to use. Lots of folks here on the forum have added the strips with good results.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:48 PM   #9
robin Jackie

M.O.C. #32711

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've seen the bottoms of slides covered in multiple materials. Sounds like you have some with darco (woven plastic material) and another solid type material (I've seen it, tapped it and touched it but don't know exactly what it is).

If the darco (woven fabric) isn't tearing up that's a good thing. The "denting" is on the tan solid surface right? What about it makes you think the floor would need to be replaced? Those rollers make a dent/mark on whatever the run across.

Uhmw is a fantastic material/tool to use on darco repairs but I'm not envisioning what is going on with the solid bottom slide.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:50 PM   #10
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
A few Pics of the damage/issue area would be helpful for folks to give you more ideas and such...

** the issues with using any type of one sided tape material ( even UHMW tape ) is ...

1. If the area underneath moves at all then the tape is gonna pucker up and make things worse

2. If the area you apply tape to has a roller going over it and the roller isnt smooth rolling you are gonna have issues

** UHMW tape is good stuff... as is UHMW that is screwed down.. Just give some further thought into the area you are gonna fix
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:18 PM   #11
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
A few Pics of the damage/issue area would be helpful for folks to give you more ideas and such...

** the issues with using any type of one sided tape material ( even UHMW tape ) is ...

1. If the area underneath moves at all then the tape is gonna pucker up and make things worse

2. If the area you apply tape to has a roller going over it and the roller isnt smooth rolling you are gonna have issues

** UHMW tape is good stuff... as is UHMW that is screwed down.. Just give some further thought into the area you are gonna fix
I originally repaired one of my slides with self sticking UHMW tape. After a few years, the glue hardened and it lost its grip. It bunched up the next time I used slide. Used 1/8 inch UHMW and attached with countersunk stainless screws (per ChuckS write-up). Works great!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3711, slide out, uhmw, underside