Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2023, 06:26 PM   #1
Jdunnagan68

M.O.C. #33501
Refrigerator brackets pulling away from wall.

So today is my 3rd day of owning a 2023 Montana 3901rk and probably my last. I found a list of problems so far, but the worst are the refrigerator brackets. I discover my ice maker line was leaking, so I was going to replace it. I removed the bolts holding the refrigerator to the rear wall and rolled the refrigerator out of the opening. I found that the left side brackets were completely pulled out of the wall. After some investigation I discovered there is absolutely no backing in the wall to screw the brackets to. The right side has backing but for the next 32 inches there is nothing. I'm not sure how they expect to hold a few hundred pound refrigerator in place without an attached bracket. I'm feeling a bit screwed. Extremely poor installation and engineering. I thought Montana was supposed to be a good product.

Jdunnagan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 08:04 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear about your woe's. Unfortunately, I think every single one of us had multiple headaches with our brand-new Montana's, regardless of how many years ago that was.

It sounds like you are not afraid to jump in attempt to fix things yourself. That is a good thing, because you will unearth more issues as time goes on and you will be your best repair shop.

For what it's worth, the little fixes never stop. We've had our Montana High Country for 5 years now and the only "break" I has was year 2 of ownership after fixing, or having fixed 88 different warranty issues. Much I fixed myself. After the first year, I felt like I rebuilt the entire camper (I still think I did). But now, she's a pretty good camper! Fortunately, the fixes decreased, but then the fixes got more costly when they did need fixing.

This year, it was the refrigerator, a bent axle, new batteries, a new awning, and currently, I'm scheduled to have a the bathroom exhaust fan/vent completely replaced. (and this has been a good year!)

In the past, others have posted about refrigerator mounts breaking away from the wall. My suggestion was to build a new support for them to anchor to, and start by building your support from the floor, not the styrofoam walls.

Again, sorry to hear about your troubles. But your experience is not unique. You are NOT alone! We all understand your anguish. Hang in there, the bugs will get worked out and then you'll have a much better camper!

Good luck!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:13 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdunnagan68 View Post
So today is my 3rd day of owning a 2023 Montana 3901rk and probably my last. I found a list of problems so far, but the worst are the refrigerator brackets. I discover my ice maker line was leaking, so I was going to replace it. I removed the bolts holding the refrigerator to the rear wall and rolled the refrigerator out of the opening. I found that the left side brackets were completely pulled out of the wall. After some investigation I discovered there is absolutely no backing in the wall to screw the brackets to. The right side has backing but for the next 32 inches there is nothing. I'm not sure how they expect to hold a few hundred pound refrigerator in place without an attached bracket. I'm feeling a bit screwed. Extremely poor installation and engineering. I thought Montana was supposed to be a good product.
We've all been in your shoes. It's very disappointing to find out that your 100+K investment isn't built like a car or a house. I've had 2 new Keystone products and my first was a disaster. Like you I made a laundry list of items to repair. I was livid! Until people set the expectations! I had no idea that I was buying a product built with such little quality control. Not to mention that I'm pulling my house down the road in a 5.0 earth quake. (It's a trailer) In the end Keystone and my dealer made everything right. Every window replaced, roof replaced and so much more. It can be a rough process but if navigated properly will bring positive results. EVERY trailer out there has the same issues. My only advice to you is to take a deep breath, built a positive relationship with your dealer, contact keystone, file a list of repairs, get approval and go through the same process we all had to go through. I'm 20 months into my Monty and 26 trips out and couldn't be happier. Well at least any happier with my trailer