Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2023, 11:34 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
2013 3402 bedroom slide

The mechanism for the bedroom slide has pulled loose and the slide is inoperable. Unfortunately we had to leave in a hurry last weekend and I didn't have an opportunity to look at it. Does anyone in the group know how the mechanism (steel framework is attached to the floor of the slide box? I'm going to have to take at least the mattress deck off for access. I couldn't see that far up in there. I'm thinking probably some kind of lags but could be through bolts with the heads covered by the black plastic on the slide exterior bottom. I've called my dealer, but their foreman hasn't returned my calls yet.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 09:00 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I would have thought a 2013 model used cable slides for the bedroom. At least my 2012 does. But if you have the hydraulic actuated slide this is a somewhat common problem. The hydraulic ram is attached to the bed frame and exterior wall. You will have to remove the plywood cover and it will be clear. There are many Threads here about fixing the bed and slide. A Search should uncover them. Here is one to get you started.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=65828

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 09:34 AM   #3
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
So, I took it apart this morning and found my answers. First, it separated due to an undiscovered water leak. The entire outer edge of the slide is gone. Second, the mechanism is attached to the slide floor by four stove head bolts through the bottom and mechanism framework. As I am parked in the northern Michigan woods, my concern was getting the slide in. I was able to attach some 2x4 blocks to the remaining floor and then went out in the woods and milled an oak plank to lay over the framework and attach to those blocks. The plank has a kerf cut in it to encapsulate the cross bar on the framework. Slide goes in and out and able to get it home now. A little ingenuity will usually get you out of any situation. When I get a better connection, I'll try to post a couple pictures.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:57 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The guy in the video below replaces rotten bedroom slide floor and works with the bed slide mechnism. This may help you.

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Thanks for the video link. Pretty much same as our situation but a bit worse. The cross bar pulled completely loose from the floor. He has given me some ideas as to the source of the water intrusion.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:26 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our 2012 3402 also has the hydraulic bed slide. Fortunately no issue with water intrusion.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:10 AM   #7
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Our 2012 3402 also has the hydraulic bed slide. Fortunately no issue with water intrusion.
I didn't think we had a problem either.....until we did. In hindsight going back to purchase, I wish we hadn't gone with the king mattress. Because it spans wall to wall, you can't see the floor of the slide. Everything I found damaged is hidden by the bed.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:01 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had water leaks at all the slide end wall windows, one at a time. When the carpet got wet at the bed slide under the window, I went around the entire rig and sealed all the windows where the frame contacts the filon with silicone and haven't had any leaks since. Yeah, the king bed sure does take up a lot of room in this model.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 06:19 AM   #9
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Resolved

It's been a while since I originally posted. The bedroom slide floor was rotted due to an unknown water leak. It also damaged the bottom of the slide wall. We took her into Camping World Houghton Lake where we bought her for repairs. New floor in the bedroom, repaired kitchen slide roof. They also did insurance repairs for us on the A/C ducting due to red squirrels getting in the attic area. Got her back yesterday good as new.(New ducting, new roof deck, replaced some damaged wiring, new fantastic fan, new roof membrane) I thought the charges that we paid for were very fair and they walked us through everything they did. Mike went above my expectations installing hardware cloth in areas to prevent those destructive little sh**s from getting in again. Although we've never used any other dealers for repairs, in reading others experiences with good repair centers, I'd rate CWHL right there with the best of them and recommend them for service to anyone in need