Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2004, 02:41 AM   #1
PennyC
Established Member

M.O.C. #2041
Would you buy another Montana after owning one?

Used to own a 28' Coachman 5er that we used on weekends in Wisconsin. We sold it 8-10 years ago but now looking to get a new rig and venture out further (Montana) and longer (couple of months). Been looking at Montana's, Jayco & Teton's. Montana's had the lead until I started reading about all the problems you folks have been having with your rigs and am now having second thoughts. Would you buy another Montana after owning one? Were you able to negotiate a good price when your purchased your rig (the dealer I'm talking to only seems to know MSLP...also doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable on anything). Has anyone sold a Montana? Any resale value?

Appreciate any help you can offer.

PennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
PennyC

Welcome to the forum!

I think if you read around at our many threads you will find that Keystone has been very good about standing behind their units.

A dealer that will not deal, find another!! If you already feel he is not "knowledgeable on anything", that would tell me you are already on shaky ground with him, and that alone would send me somewhere else.

The forum seems to be filled with complaints, but this is where we discuss such things, and where we have come up with fixes for same. If you read some of the other major forums online, you will find a lot of other units have really bad problems too.

We have said many times (we being the forum members) that Montana is quite a coach for the $$, that we are pleased with Keystone standing behind their units, and that we would purchase another.

As far as resale value, there is a site online that has "blue book prices" for RV's. The URL has been posted here on the forum, maybe someone can post it again for you.

Al and I hope to own ours for years to come, YEARS!!

Good luck on your purchase, be sure you have enough truck to pull your choice of 5ers.

Happy Trails!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:24 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
My 2955RL is the first I have owned so I have nothing to compare with. That said, I will say that I am happy with my Montana and would buy another. I did look at several brands before I bought.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:52 AM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Welcome aboard PennyC! We looked at many different 5th wheels and dealers before we decided on our purchase. We monitored this web site for a while before we made our purchase and appreciated the candor and comradorie of the MOC members. We felt most members where happy with their Montana and pleased with Keystone's response to issues. Keep in mind our human nature is such that we squawk about problems but don't take the time to extend positive comments!

We love our sales rep and dealer, which should be a very important part of your buying decision. We thought Montana was a good value for the dollars. We love our Monty and yes, as soon as Montana comes up with a king size bed model we would seriously consider trading in a minute.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:55 AM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
We have been full timing for a year in our Montana and have had to fix or redo a few things, I will buy another Montana if and when the time comes.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:07 AM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
PennyC, I'm very happy with my Montana. There are other dealers that would make a deal with you. Montana has stood behind there work even after the warranty. If you read other forums u would see that other units has just as many problems as Montana. Most of the problems are minor. Would I purchase another one, U Bet I would.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:50 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
PennyC, I have owned alot of RV TT's over the years and they all have some problems now and then. The Montana that we purchased is no exception. Some of the issues I took care of myself, the others I took to the dealer to take care of. My dealer is 200 miles away and when I brought the unit in for warranty they made sure that all was taken care of to my satisfaction before I left. I have not had that type of service before I bought the Montana. As of now I would buy another if I was in the market. The Montana's are the number 1 selling unit and have been for several years now. It is a very good unit for the money. The bottom line is that you must be happy with the choice that you make and the dealer needs to be reputable enough to take care of any problems quickly and efficiently. Good luck on your search for the right rig.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:35 AM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I am happy with mine. So happy I will probably just keep it rather than trade up. Remember that the problems you read about concern materials that are also used in a lot of other trailers. For example, the Lippert frames and Alko axles are used on a lot of other units. The problems are more RV Industry problems than anything else.

Yes you can buy a large Mobile Suites that makes me weak in knees to walk through. But pulling it will stess most 1 ton trucks.

Also the RV Trailer industry does not have rigid controls like motorhomes.

Lost my local Montana dealer due to a dispute with Keystone. My closest Montana dealer is in an area of Tampa that I like to stay away from. No reason to just ride down and look. May get rolled.

So since I don't have a dealer, I will just keep mine. Should the situation change then yes I may upgrade later to another Montana.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:54 AM   #9
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
We looked at several 5ers back in 2002 when upgrading from a Jayco TT. The wife really liked the Carri-Lite but was TOOOO heavy even for our 1 ton dually. So the choice really came down to a well built unit light enough to tow safely with the floor plan and design we liked. The Montana 3280RL met all our requirements and we will be keeping it for several more years. It has been a great rig with only very minor problems which were taken care of on one trip back to the dealer. I think the Montana is the best $/quality ratio on the market. Will we buy another when that time comes - very likely. Remember, consider the dealer as much as the rig when choosing and if they won't deal - WALK !!
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:11 AM   #10
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Would we buy another Keystone product, (montana), as of this posting we would have to say no,the fiver is the perfect layout for us and is simple quite beautiful, price was very reasonable compared to other fivers this size and layout;but the problems,i know all rvs have problems, but something has broke almost every trip.Our unit ,a 2004, is still under warranty and has been back three times already and is to go back after the season for more repairs.The things we do not like are ,the tire and axle problems,yes we have them,the cabinets are very cheaply installed and need repairing every time,those darn staples.WE do not full-time and for the money ,i guess it is okay;but our next unit we will spend a little more and go for all screwed cabinets, the mor-ryde suspension,better heat distribution ducts,and one with better insulation.We are not bashing montana, we have talked to people with other makes that have had more problems than us,next time we will have to pay more, but we want one with a more superior quality control and more guts, that is just imo.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:48 AM   #11
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I believe you will find in the 2005 they have changed the axles. Ours are Drexel. As for problems, we have not had any that required us to return to Keystone for service. We do not have to return to our dealer (150 miles) but to a keystone authorized service center. We have a dealer here who sells Everest and we can use them.

As for heat and AC distribution, we have no complaints, but we do not live full time in our trailer and it does not get much below freezing here. We only have one AC and it worked quite well during a whole weekend of 100 degree temps.

From our point so far it has been a positive experience. As has already been said everyone uses this group to ask questions and it can give the impression there are many problems. You are always going to find a lemon in any group but if put that into perspective you will find the percentage pretty low. We would purchase another MOntana in the future but plan on having this for some time.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #12
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Oh yes, no problem buying another Montana when the day comes as long as they have what we want.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #13
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Yes, if they have a unit which will meet our needs when we are ready to buy again. Good luck with your decision!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:15 AM   #14
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
this is the second 5ver we have owned & the first Montana & I would get another one in a heartbeat.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:25 AM   #15
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Seems like Montana has stepped up on the axle problem, good to hear,glad there are people who have no problems, we are convinced this unit was a monday or friday build, sorry if we seem to be montana bashers, we are not, we have just experienced endless problems that we just want to get fixed, maybe we are being too particular with what we had in mind as far as quality goes, there are many good things that we love about our montana, but every problem is a set-back in our minds, got spoiled by our two tt that were never back to the dealer for any repairs.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:26 PM   #16
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Would we get another Montana? Absolutely.
We looked around for a couple years and I knew the Montana was the one for us. Finally last fall we ordered it. Of course we have had a couple problems, but nothing big. Wouldn't get anything else.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:47 PM   #17
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
This was my first 5th wheel also.I was in and out of every 5th wheel they make.went to so many Rv shows my head was spinning.Got a GREAT deal on mine.Its a 2001 but bought it NEW in March of 2004.It was a 3 year old left over.My dealer over stocked the Montanas big time.So that how I got mine.I am so pleased with this unit i`am still smiling 6 monthes later.Would I buy another Montana-in a heart beat!!!
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We love our 3380 and have been very pleased with our dealer. Sure, we've had some problems but our dealer has been eager and careful to make things right. We would certainly consider another Montana....after we wear this one out!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #19
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Have had ours over 3 years now. Come time to get another one it will be a Montana. We have had a few problems, but the dealer and Keystone has always came through for us.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:42 PM   #20
PennyC
Established Member

M.O.C. #2041
Thank you everyone! You've made me feel very welcome. I'm glad to hear that everyone is happy with their Montana rigs (well almost everyone). As I said, Montana was my first choice, I really loved the look and design of the Montana. I guess after reading about some of the issues/problems I got cold feet. (The 28ft Coachman that we had for 20 years never went back to the dealer and only a few minor problems when it got older.)

Thanks again for your help.
PennyC is offline   Reply With Quote