Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2024, 07:23 PM   #1
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Brakes slow to engage and disengage

I got new tires on the 2001 Montana today, and while it was still on the jack stands I decided it would be a good time to test the brakes individually.
The brakes work but there is some concern that I don't know what needs done or if it's operating correctly.

When the truck brake pedal is pressed the wheels on the RV take 4-5 seconds for the brakes to engage. i can hear them engaging on each one before they come to a stop.
When the brake in the truck is disengaged it takes about 10 seconds for the wheels to spin "freely" again. Freely means I can hear them rubbing just a little bit and they all sound like that.

Is this normal or do I need to adjust something?

brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:52 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The drum brakes require that the rig is rolling for the brakes to fully engage. Once the magnets are activated, pressure is exerted on the shoes and while in contact with the drums, the mechanism rotates so the shoes obtain full contact with the drums. When you activate power, you might have to manually rotate the drums so they will lock up.

When is the last time you had the drums off to inspect the brakes? It might be a case of grease on the shoes that is causing the problem, too.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:56 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A 2001 came with manual adjusted brakes. Unless you have upgraded them to self-adjusters, you have to periodically get under there and adjust them.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:02 PM   #4
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
I was spinning the wheels by hand with the jacks lifting the wheels off the ground. When they do stop it is instant. Maybe Carl is right and they just need adjusted even though I can hear them drag?
Old 01-17-2024, 08:14 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
isn't there something to do with the brake controller and the voltage it sends depending on vehicle speed? I seem to recall some variable voltage scheme. Does the stopping change if you pull the emergency disconnect plug while the wheel is spinning?
What truck and brake controller (integrated or independent) do you have?

Old 01-18-2024, 05:49 AM   #6
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
As Carl previously suggested, disconnect your 7-pin plug from your truck. While you spin one of the wheels, have a helper pull the emergency lanyard and observe the reaction of each brake. This way you take your truck controller out of the equation. If the results are satisfactory, then the issue is likely the controller circuitry of your truck, though I too agree that it might be speed related. I become suspicious of your truck controller from your statement that it took 10 seconds for the brakes to disengage. If not done so recently, I would do a thorough inspection of the brake assemblies.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:17 AM   #7
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I don’t know which truck you have but I will assume the big three are the same. As others have said, the braking function on mine is governed by the truck’s speed and inertia. Rather than using the brake pedal, use the controller manually, wheels should stop immediately.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 07:42 AM   #8
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
When is the last time you had the drums off to inspect the brakes? It might be a case of grease on the shoes that is causing the problem, too.
I have not ever taken them off since I got it in February (it hasn't moved since then).
I've only done disc brakes on vehicles in the last 20 years. I don't remember anything about the drum brakes.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:51 AM   #9
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Does the stopping change if you pull the emergency disconnect plug while the wheel is spinning?
What truck and brake controller (integrated or independent) do you have?
I'm still trying to figure out the mutli-quote function rather than address in separate messages. Hopefully it worked.

I'll address the first question with Lee's quote.

I have a 2004 Dodge RAM 2500 purchased in 2021. Not sure of the brake controller since I'm at work right now, but it was added on I think since it's attached to the lower dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
As Carl previously suggested, disconnect your 7-pin plug from your truck. While you spin one of the wheels, have a helper pull the emergency lanyard and observe the reaction of each brake. This way you take your truck controller out of the equation. If the results are satisfactory, then the issue is likely the controller circuitry of your truck, though I too agree that it might be speed related. I become suspicious of your truck controller from your statement that it took 10 seconds for the brakes to disengage. If not done so recently, I would do a thorough inspection of the brake assemblies.
Yesterday I went and tried this. I pulled the pin after disconnecting the umbilical from the truck and went back to the wheels and spun them and nothing happened. The brakes were not engaged. If the wheels are not spinning (I was the only one doing this) will they not engage, or will they release immediately once they are stopped, or is my emergency defective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
Rather than using the brake pedal, use the controller manually, wheels should stop immediately.
Good point. I will test it that way since the lever allows a full engage.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:28 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If pulling the plunger on the breakaway switch does not set the brakes, you have a wiring issue, you don't have the battery hooked up, or may have a bad breakaway switch. A wiring problem would also affect braking when hooked up to the truck. Hopefully the controller works, but the brakes not working with the breakaway switch should be the first thing to fix before you tow the rig.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 02:00 PM   #11
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
I have the RV plugged into power, would that stop the break away from working?
Old 01-19-2024, 08:23 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
No, the break away system is completely separate from the RV power system (either 12V or 120V). It is directly wired from the battery to the switch and then the brakes.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:18 AM   #13
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Then I wonder if broke something in the little box. it was about zero degrees when I yanked it out. Now it's real loose in side. I'll take it apart today and check.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:47 AM   #14
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
Then I wonder if broke something in the little box. it was about zero degrees when I yanked it out. Now it's real loose in side. I'll take it apart today and check.
I recently had to replace my breakaway switch. Disconnect it and check it with your ohm meter. Also check that there is 12v one of the wires.

Also, my built in brake controller has a slide control to activate brakes. I always check the brake function when getting on the road and there is very little delay.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:14 AM   #15
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
I'm back on this brake issue. I believe the problem was attempting to test the emergency brake away switch at zero degrees. It works fine now and it's not loose anymore.

Tags
adjustment, brakes, electric