Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2024, 07:51 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Anniversary .....

For my truck!

Yesterday (March 25), we purchased our dually (in my signature below), ten years ago. She's been a real champ. She's now got 95,000 miles on her. According to everyone and everything I've ever read, diesels are "just" getting broke in at 100,000 miles! So, I'm hoping for another 10 years at least.

No rust yet, on the old girl that I've seen. I get regular, on-schedule, maintenance done, and follow my mechanic's suggestions and advise when things are due to get done.

She's coming up on the 100,000 mile mark soon. I'll be getting all that 100,000 miles preventative maintenance done very soon. We're still in Louisiana and have about a 900 miles trip to get home, taking off Saturday morning (March 30). Then turning right around on May 27 and heading back to Louisiana, then leaving Louisiana on June 29 so we can arrive in North Carolina for 2 months (July and August), then back to Indiana for one month (September) and then back to Louisiana for Oct, Nov, Dec.

So, with all the planned travel, I'll no doubt be getting all that 100,000 miles preventative maintenance done while home (in Indiana) in April, because the next opportunity will be September and I'll be past the 100,000 miles mark then.

Now, don't get me wrong, we haven't been without problems with our beloved Dually. We had a turbo charger go out in the 2nd year. We had problems with the tow brake controller (a relay switch) twice, new tires eventually, replaced batteries once, wind shield wipers twice, we had a coolant leak that cost a small fortune to fix and 2 attempts. On Star cancelled us, said our system was out-dated now, so we dropped it completely. Just just wanted more money. We said, Heck NO! I just had another key made and keep it in a safe place in the event we get locked out now.

We had the old girl completely paid in full in the 3rd year of owner ship, so doing a repair or a maintenance check has not been so threatening, financially. It's a lot, lot cheaper than buying a new truck for sure.

She's still strong, driving good, handles the fifth wheel great, get's about 19 mpg when not towing (diesel) and still drops down to about 9.5 - 10 when towing at 60 mph. Tires are all good, and my Recon Fifth Wheel hitch is still servicing us flawlessly.

She's got a little dent in one of the fat fenders that's been there for almost 10 years now. Someone in a parking lot hit the finder and ran. I never got it fixed. It was kind of a humbling experience, having a noticeable flaw on the truck. I was dang proud of that beast when we first bought it. The dent brought me back to reality, don't be too proud. God gives, and God takes! Just be thankful for what you've got while you've got it and stay humble. Not everyone has the same fortune as you, and as quickly as you receive it, it can just as quickly be lost.

I'm constantly reminded of that every time I see the dent. Its also is a stern reality check every time I get in the truck to remember, this trip in the truck could be my last .... so drive sensible and nothing is THAT important to drive like an idiot and perhaps cost me my life or the lives of those in the truck with me.

She's a good truck ... 10 year ownership now! Still going strong. I really do hope for at least another 10 years.

Happy camping everyone!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:31 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My old 6.4 Ford is 16 years old and running perfectly. The only problem we have had is it won’t pass state inspection now but we have a cure for that, make it look like the DPF filter is on it. We had ALL the pollution controls removed 15 years ago. It’s tuned with 600 HP and 1100 Torque. We will keep it because the 6.4s are hard to get rid of unless you want to give them away. It still looks like new except for where I sweated on the driver seat.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:25 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
2016 F350 dually 86,000 miles.
Last year had to change the the torque converter in the transmission. $4,000.
We were told if you tow a lot you should change transmission fluid at half the recommended schedule. So change it every 50,000 miles versus 100,000 miles.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:17 AM   #4
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
Congratulations on the anniversary. It's nice to be able keep a truck that long and have minimal issues.
The new trucks sure are nice, but the prices are crazy.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:42 PM   #5
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
I had every intention of a new truck by now but the ridiculous jump in pricing has me in the mindset of hanging on to our old '14. It just turned 70k miles and still looks great. I worry about the small things like belts, hoses, wiring, relays, starters, alternators etc.. more than anything with its age. I had a turbo hose (intercooler hose) blow last year while towing home from Myrtle Beach. I now carry a spare with a 2' ratchet extension for easier replacement if needed. We also learned to never, ever leave the house again without our Honda Genny.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 03:20 PM   #6
Kbruch

M.O.C. #25345
Still have my 2002 F-350 dually, 7.3 with 154k on it. New radiator last year and new rotors, pads and calipers last month. Still pulls my 2020 3121rl with ease.
Kbruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:42 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
I had every intention of a new truck by now but the ridiculous jump in pricing has me in the mindset of hanging on to our old '14. It just turned 70k miles and still looks great. I worry about the small things like belts, hoses, wiring, relays, starters, alternators etc.. more than anything with its age. I had a turbo hose (intercooler hose) blow last year while towing home from Myrtle Beach. I now carry a spare with a 2' ratchet extension for easier replacement if needed. We also learned to never, ever leave the house again without our Honda Genny.

If you have priced a new truck it’s scary. I’m buying a new F150. A Lariat base is $65000 with $2000 delivery. You add a few options $70000 and the Lariat high package $73000. A King Ranch base is $73000 $2000 delivery and less options than the Lariat now we are at $77000. The hybrid package is $1900 but you get a $1900 discount so it’s free. I wouldn’t know what a Super Duty Diesel would sticker at but the HO version Diesel is $10000. Now we are talking real money.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:30 AM   #8
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If you have priced a new truck it’s scary. I’m buying a new F150. A Lariat base is $65000 with $2000 delivery. You add a few options $70000 and the Lariat high package $73000. A King Ranch base is $73000 $2000 delivery and less options than the Lariat now we are at $77000. The hybrid package is $1900 but you get a $1900 discount so it’s free. I wouldn’t know what a Super Duty Diesel would sticker at but the HO version Diesel is $10000. Now we are talking real money.
Lynwood

Its crazy how the price of trucks and literally everything else has jumped over the last 3 years. I guess these ridiculous prices are why we are seeing more and more HDT/Semi trucks in campgrounds now. People are actually buying these used Semi trucks cheaper than you can buy a new 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. Absolutely insane.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:36 PM   #9
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
As a trivia note, I had a recent chance meeting with my "fleet mgr" friend at our local Ford dealership, inquired with him out of curiosity re: what would a new "Platinum" F350 diesel dually go for?....$100k was his reply...but that's dealing with fleet purchase discounts...
I expect the average truck shopper with no "connections" might be looking at $120K++.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote