Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2024, 10:26 AM   #1
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
New Goosebox review

Just installed the new Reese Goosebox and first pull review:

Installed myself, time to remove original pin box and install-about 6 hours. The videos edit out a lot of wrench turning and wiring changes. Borrowing my neighbor's battery impact driver was a game changer.

Ride height to bed rails lowered about an inch to 6". Trailer rides really level (a little nose high before). I had an Andersen before.

The Goosebox takes a lot of bounce out of the truck. It's really strange watching the trailer move and not feeling it in the truck. I did a short drive on a section of road that is rather bumpy.

Hitching did not change that much. DW and I have always worked well together getting the truck hitched up to goose neck trailers.

So far, I like it. Getting ready for the trip to Fla. That will be a good test.

Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:31 AM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
It just makes sense to some

There`s nothing not to like about this hitch except maybe the cost. Some people are stuck in the old ways of doing things and dealing with a 200lb boat anchor always in the truck in the way. Like anything else that`s new to you there is a learning curve to connecting like a bumper pull camper but the wife helps with that (Careful with that it has led to more than 1 divorce).
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:11 AM   #3
John_n_Genny

M.O.C. #19099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay & Bobbie View Post
Just installed the new Reese Goosebox and first pull review:

Installed myself, time to remove original pin box and install-about 6 hours. The videos edit out a lot of wrench turning and wiring changes. Borrowing my neighbor's battery impact driver was a game changer.

Ride height to bed rails lowered about an inch to 6". Trailer rides really level (a little nose high before). I had an Andersen before.

The Goosebox takes a lot of bounce out of the truck. It's really strange watching the trailer move and not feeling it in the truck. I did a short drive on a section of road that is rather bumpy.

Hitching did not change that much. DW and I have always worked well together getting the truck hitched up to goose neck trailers.

So far, I like it. Getting ready for the trip to Fla. That will be a good test.
I'm considering the Reese Goosebox but I hate the idea of inflating that stupid airbag before you head out. So I'm hoping that Gen-Y will get Lippert approved soon.
John_n_Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:30 AM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
It just makes sense to some

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_n_Genny View Post
I'm considering the Reese Goosebox but I hate the idea of inflating that stupid airbag before you head out. So I'm hoping that Gen-Y will get Lippert approved soon.
Not sure what your talking about mine doesn't need to be filled before each use. Sometimes when the temps really drop I have to add a little air to top off. But with one of these, it`s easy peasy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61gql3f1rbL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	16717  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:17 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Yeah in over 1 year, I have yet to add air to my Goosebox air bag. I will never go back to a standard 5th wheel hitch and bed setup.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 12:26 PM   #6
John_n_Genny

M.O.C. #19099
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Yeah in over 1 year, I have yet to add air to my Goosebox air bag. I will never go back to a standard 5th wheel hitch and bed setup.
Good to know. I have a short bed F-350 with siderails about 21.5" high. Not sure how high the rails are in your Duramax, but have you had any problems with clearances on a turn?
John_n_Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 01:37 PM   #7
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
I haven't measured the height of the bed rails, but did notice the hitch gets really close to the sides at about a 90 degree turn.

I am going to buy a short air hose extension. Getting to the air valve is a bit of a pain. Although, hopefully, like the others, I won't have to air up very often.
First long pull to Florida was a dream. Wish I had bought one sooner. I did sell the Andersen in 2 days for what I paid for it. That helped offset the expense.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:26 PM   #8
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Have had the Reese Goosebox since 2021. I have never had to add air, but i do follow the recommendation to let the air out and reinflate about once per year. Really happy with the Reese.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:27 PM   #9
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay & Bobbie View Post
I haven't measured the height of the bed rails, but did notice the hitch gets really close to the sides at about a 90 degree turn.

I am going to buy a short air hose extension. Getting to the air valve is a bit of a pain. Although, hopefully, like the others, I won't have to air up very often.
First long pull to Florida was a dream. Wish I had bought one sooner. I did sell the Andersen in 2 days for what I paid for it. That helped offset the expense.

It's easy to eliminate having to get in the truck to charge the air bag after the first time. Once you've towed and like the feel, unhook the camper and see what the pressure is in the bag. Next time just check the pressure before connecting and take out or add air as needed.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 02:09 PM   #10
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I agree with everything. The Goosbix is great and really improves the ride. I have had mine about 2 yeas a have never added air.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:04 PM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Wow! Years ago my First Generation Goosebox had a 35 PSI (?) relief valve. After any long tow on America's Roads I had to refill the Airbag...what a hassle. Plus the coupler needed too frequent grease.
Anyhow, it failed on a pothole on west TX I-10 - was bent and the front Fiver frame cracked. It was less than a year old at that point and Lippert wouldn't replace it. I went back to the SP Hitch Gooseneck Adapter.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote