Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you could live anywhere

If I could live anywhere my second choice would be Dubois Wyoming. The winters are cold for sure but there isn’t much snow. It’s blocked by the mountains add there is plenty of open land to use. Fishing hunting.
My first choice is right here where I live, not too cold in the winter and usually not to hot in the summer. In Dubois a ride to a hospital is hours here it’s minuets a Walmart is five miles Lowes five miles. I can set in my lounge chair and watch the spring creep up the mountain and fall creep down. Neighbors are two hundred yards away. To me perfect. What is your perfect place like.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Mine would be Tillamook Oregon where I lived when in the air force. No snow, close to beaches, great farm stands, a short drive to the evergreen air museum, etc. Can't get my trailer to the British virgin islands and wife doesn't want to live on a sailboat, so that is out.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Coastal NW California. We actually have the exact spot already picked out. The weather is moderate year round and the people are some of the friendliest you could ask for.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We are always hearing people in some part of the country aren’t friendly. I get to talk to people every where and find no difference in any of them.
Lynwood
Old 09-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We are always hearing people in some part of the country aren’t friendly. I get to talk to people every where and find no difference in any of them.
Lynwood
Oh they're out there....

We're full timers and had our forwarded mail returned to Florida by the post office at Nellis AFB because they decided General Mail was "just too much trouble". And they weren't the least bit apologetic about it. They were actually pretty prickly about it.

Then there was this couple that got booted from a campground for getting a FedEx package.

By comparison the campground we summer at in NorCal doesn't get mail at the campground, only a PO Box (no rural carriers). So they tell you to have your mail sent to them, they pick it up from the post office, and deliver it to your campsite for you.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood
We have one foot in California and one foot on a banana peel. As soon as the house sells we are outa here. When we travel out of state we see immediately the difference in people and attitude from CA. Even something as simple as going to Walmart is like night and day, not everywhere but for the most part.

I can't say there is one place that does everything for us. That's what makes trailering so nice. We get the best of many areas.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
We have one foot in California and one foot on a banana peel. As soon as the house sells we are outa here. When we travel out of state we see immediately the difference in people and attitude from CA. Even something as simple as going to Walmart is like night and day, not everywhere but for the most part.

I can't say there is one place that does everything for us. That's what makes trailering so nice. We get the best of many areas.
That was us with Florida.

We moved there in 1997 when I retired from the Army. Since then it's just gotten hotter, and the hurricanes more frequent and severe. In the last few years we had to bug out twice only to return to find major damage two years back to back and days or weeks without power in the dangerously hot humid weather. We decided we'd had enough.

In March of 2018 we sold the house and 99% of everything in it, bought a C and a tow car and set out to see the USA and see where we wanted to settle down. No one place year round suited us so we decided to up our game to a 5th wheel and just stay nomadic and follow the mild weather.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I guess we are dealing with gun people, the nicest people on earth. How many people would you send hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise to and expect them to pay off on an invoice. And yet we do and everyone will pay and we have no way to get them to pay.
Lynwood
Old 09-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Perhaps the difference is interacting with clientele of like interestes vs interacting with the general population of a town. It seems the farther west you go, the less friendly folks get. CA has great places to visit. It had great places to live. I lived here when it used to be cool to be a Californian. Most are too young to know what that means. We're thinking Nevada.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Considering all that's happening right now we are very lucky. We own two RV home bases. One in rural Kansas, with hookups for two rv's, which is near our kids, grandkids and great grand kids. The other is in rural New Mexico where it's not so cold in the winter.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote