Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2024, 01:24 PM   #1
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
2021 Montana 3121 Questions

Anyone know where the invertor on/off switch is located?

Is there any place to purchase owners manuals from Keystone?

How many batteries are usually installed?

Can another water pump switch be added in bathroom?

Thanks for any help guys!

jann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:07 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
The inverter cut off switch should be located on the wall behind your batteries. The inverter also has an on/off switch AND a GFIC reset button.

The Keystone Montana RV Owners manual can be downloaded

Battery (one 100Ah Flooded Lead Acid FLA) are installed at the dealership UNLESS you have the solar package. Then I believe you have one Battleborn 100 Ah battery.

I don't know why you would want to add another water pump.

Owners manuals
https://www.keystonerv.com/owners-manuals

Lots of info here.
https://www.keystonerv.com/product/m...y-fifth-wheels
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:38 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jann View Post
…….

Can another water pump switch be added in bathroom?
…..
I am guessing you want to add a 2nd switch to operate the existing pump, not add a 2nd pump. In that case you could add a second switch wired in parallel to the original switch. Could run from either switch. But both would have to be off for the pump to stop unless you could find suitable 3 way switches.

Since the wiring runs in the walls, and maybe the ceiling, the degree of difficulty would highly depend on the location of the existing switch and the location of the new switch. On opposite sides of the same wall would be easy. But on two different walls would not. Running wires thru the ceiling would be difficult. But you might be able to run wires down the inside of the wall, thru the floor, under the floor to the other wall, and up thru that wall. Would be a little easier if the bottom of both walls is accessible from the basement. But may still be a challenge.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 06:49 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
One wonders why you want a second switch? The general procedure is to turn on the water pump and leave it on. It provides water, when and where you want it, and then it shuts off. There is no harm to have it sitting there ready to go with power to it.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:55 PM   #5
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
If your coach is not a legacy and no solar, besides the on/off switch for the inverter in the battery compartment, there is a remote on/off switch in the cabinet above the coffee bar.
Batteries were at the discretion of the dealer, A 3121 has a residential refrigerator and the 2021 model had 4 other inverted outlets beside the fridge outlet (pop up outlet to the right of the stove, Living area TV, theater seats and the outlet to the left of the dresser in the bedroom.) Dealers we’re supposed to furnish two batteries to go along with the 2000w inverter. My dealer supplied two 65 amp hr dual purpose marine batteries (series 24). Woefully inadequate except if plugged in to shore power every night. No telling what is in yours.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 12:58 AM   #6
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Thanks guys for all the information.

There is still a lot to learn on my (new to me fifth wheel) as it’s quite a lot different from my last one.

Thanks again
Old 04-28-2024, 01:02 AM   #7
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Thanks for all that Mark. Dealer is ‘supposed’ to install NEW battery or batteries, Guess we will find out Friday.

There is still a lot I have to check out again as this Montana is different than my Jayco was.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:43 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The battery is installed by the dealer so it varies widely from one to another. We originally got a single 12v AGM "Deep Cycle" battery that had no amp hr. specs. I've heard others with the residential refrigerator like mine got 2-12v batteries.
Keystone does have a solar package offering that is supposed to come with lithium battery(ies) but I can't confirm that as I don't know anyone that has the super solar flex package.
Owner's manual can be downloaded from Keystone, but it only has the most basic generic information and probably isn't worth the time to locate it. It will not be anything specific to your year, make or model.
As stated above, to get two switches to work on your water pump, you would need to run a 3-wire drop from the existing switch to the second one then throw the hot (positive) leg from one switch to the other. The third wire would return the hot (positive) back to your existing switch location and on to the pump. It is easily doable, but not really sure why you would want to go to the trouble. As Carl said, the system is meant to be turned on and left on so that water is available on demand.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:29 AM   #9
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Thanks Mark. Guess I’ll find out on Friday.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:31 AM   #10
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Thanks for the info. Robert.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:44 AM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Your inverter on/off switch should look like one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter switch.png
Views:	14
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	16965  
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #12
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Your inverter on/off switch should look like one of these.
Thanks Tony. I don’t remember seeing it. I’ll have to check when we pick up RV.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:07 AM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Thanks Tony. I don’t remember seeing it. I’ll have to check when we pick up RV.
I really depends on what build you got. If it's a basic (runs residential fridge only) it may not have a remote on/off switch. It might only have a battery disconnect with the on/off switch on the inverter itself.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:27 AM   #14
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I really depends on what build you got. If it's a basic (runs residential fridge only) it may not have a remote on/off switch. It might only have a battery disconnect with the on/off switch on the inverter itself.
IF it does not have a switch like you showed…….does the inverter always stay on?

Residential refrigerator. Not sure which inverter yet.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:19 AM   #15
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
IF it does not have a switch like you showed…….does the inverter always stay on?

Residential refrigerator. Not sure which inverter yet.
There might be a switch on the inverter itself. The inverter has a built in transfer switch which passes shore or gen power to the outlet when available. In order to pass the shore power, it has to be on. The inverter provides power to the fridge when traveling or depending on what solar package you have, power it while boondocking. To power while boondocking you'll need need a robust battery bank and substantial solar. Do you know what equipment it has?
Old 05-01-2024, 06:56 PM   #16
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Jack, look to see if you have this set up like mine.
1) Inverter cut off in battery bay.

2) transfer switch that plugs into the inverter. It is usually mounted on the ceiling of the pass-through compartment right after the inverter. It plugs into the inverter with a standard 110v plug.

3);The remote switch in Tony’s top photo above. Mine is located in the cabinet above the coffee bar. If you do have this switch, just turning on the cut off in the battery bay will not turn on the inverter, you have to turn on the remote switch. Turn them on and leave them on. There is no reason to turn off the inverter until you are putting the rig in storage or will be disconnecting your shore power cord and not pulling with your truck plugged in.
My truck has no problem keeping the batteries at 100% while towing with the GE fridge running on it’s normal settings running off of the inverter. We have the same year and model trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D915822-4293-45B3-851E-C2D52BF83844.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	16968   Click image for larger version

Name:	2AF4A6F0-409A-4C82-A084-AEC8FA633BE0.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	16969  
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:41 PM   #17
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
Jack, look to see if you have this set up like mine.
1) Inverter cut off in battery bay.

2) transfer switch that plugs into the inverter. It is usually mounted on the ceiling of the pass-through compartment right after the inverter. It plugs into the inverter with a standard 110v plug.

3);The remote switch in Tony’s top photo above. Mine is located in the cabinet above the coffee bar. If you do have this switch, just turning on the cut off in the battery bay will not turn on the inverter, you have to turn on the remote switch. Turn them on and leave them on. There is no reason to turn off the inverter until you are putting the rig in storage or will be disconnecting your shore power cord and not pulling with your truck plugged in.
My truck has no problem keeping the batteries at 100% while towing with the GE fridge running on it’s normal settings running off of the inverter. We have the same year and model trailer.
Thanks Mark. I’ll check it out and see if I can figure it all out. It’s all a lot different than our Jayco was
Old 05-05-2024, 10:20 PM   #18
JN-LV
Established Member

M.O.C. #30460
Our 2021 3121RL has the inverter disconnect switch in the front cargo bay. If that switch is in the "on" position, then, as someone mentioned, there is a switch above the coffee bar that can be used to turn the inverter on/off. We had 2 group 27 lead acid 100AH batteries installed from the dealer and quickly moved to a 200AH lithium battery. We'll be upgrading to 600AH now that we have 500 watts of solar.

JN-LV is offline   Reply With Quote