Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
chrismerkel84

M.O.C. #31441
Heating

Heating question??????
I’ve put 2” styrofoam boards all around the bottom of my 21 Montana as a skirt for this winter in north Idaho.
To keep from staying cold or freezing pipes or anything bad, can I just run the electric fireplace in the living room to keep the rv warm or do I have to run the propane heater to keep everything warm and not freezing???? Like not to use the propane.

chrismerkel84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 05:30 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
All your plumbing runs through the underbelly of your RV. Between the coroplast you see from the ground and the bottom of your floor you see from inside your unit. The only way to get heat into the underbelly is by running your propane furnace. The furnace has a flex duct that dumps heat into this area. Thats the best method to protect your pipes and holding tanks. Some have placed a remote sensor in the belly with a temp display inside their unit to get a feel for how quickly the outside temperature affects the temps in the underbelly.
Old 09-10-2022, 05:46 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have used the fireplace and electric heaters in temps down to about 5 below. Your tanks and plumbing below will need some heat as well, but with skirting, you could use small heaters strategically placed to provide enough heat to prevent freezing.
I also used tank heaters since we were on shore power. The main freezing concern was the exposed sewer pipes on the under side. A small ceramic heater should provide enough heat to prevent freezing there. I have heard of some people using lights underneath to provide some heat, but depending upon outside temps, that may not be enough.
I also bought a thermometer with 3 remote sensors to monitor the basement, garage and outside temps for peace of mind.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:33 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
As mentioned above, put a small heater underneath along with a remote sensor.
I have 3. One outside, one in the underbelly, and one in the battery compartment.
Another way to put heat into the underbelly is to remove the left side panel undervyour kitchen island sink. Behind there you will find a hole where your sink drain goes through. This leads all the way down to the top of your galley tank (underbelly). I hung one of the remote thermometers on a string and lowered it down there. You can put a small heater, hair dryer or computer fan blower to push warm air down there.
Don't forget to turn on your tank heaters when you know it's going to be below freezing.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #5
Columbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #31128
Can I ask a follow-on question to the OP’s post? I’m also preparing to stay in my Montana (3625RE) full time over the winter. This model does not have factory tank heaters. I am planning on fully skirting the underside and placing one or two space heaters under there to keep everything warm. For people who have stayed in their RV’s over winter would adding tank heaters also be a wise precaution or unnecessary? In my mind if the tanks are freezing the pipes have likely frozen too? Thanks in advance!
Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
Can I ask a follow-on question to the OP’s post? I’m also preparing to stay in my Montana (3625RE) full time over the winter. This model does not have factory tank heaters. I am planning on fully skirting the underside and placing one or two space heaters under there to keep everything warm. For people who have stayed in their RV’s over winter would adding tank heaters also be a wise precaution or unnecessary? In my mind if the tanks are freezing the pipes have likely frozen too? Thanks in advance!
If you are well skirted (no drafts) AND block all the holes in your frame (I used gorilla tape) to help stop drafts, AND you put a couple small ceramic heaters underneath on the lowest setting, you should be fine without tank heaters.
Again to monitor your temperatures buy a package of 3 remote thermometers. Put one outside, one underneath and one in the underbelly via the access hole under your kitchen island where the drain goes down.
ORIA Indoor Outdoor Thermometer with 3 Wireless Sensors, Digital Hygrometer Thermometer, Temperature Humidity Monitor Meter with LCD Backlight, Wireless Thermometer for Home, Office, Bedroom, White https://a.co/d/gK1eSey
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote