Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > COVID-19 Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 04:56 AM   #1
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
What's the situation like?

We live in Canada, but have travelled extensively in the U.S. We have wintered in Florida for the past twelve winters. Of course the border is now closed, so we will camp in our own province.

I would like to get some information from people around the U.S. as to how things are going with regards to the pandemic. Are people taking it seriously? Are they social distancing? Are people wearing masks?

I have been in touch with someone I know in Florida and she tells me things are business as usual down there, with no one paying it much attention. This is a state which is the epicenter of the country for the virus!

I don't want any political discussions. I just want to know how things really are. We get the news up here, but I just would like to know what the people are saying, not just the journalists. One article I read stated "Not only is the genie out of the bottle, there is no longer bottle"! Are things as bad as they say? Do any of you know anyone who got the virus, and maybe even someone who died from it?

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Hi, Loneoak. I'm in northern Florida (Jacksonville). Everything is essentially business as usual here. Wear a mask when going inside anywhere, but most people are ignoring the virus. Due to health issues, I'm at particular risk, so I am careful not to go out unless absolutely necessary. Most of the problems are further south so it's hard to say what's going on down there. We have had more than our share of cases here, but for the most part it's not really effecting much other than distancing and mask wearing here. No crazy stuff like I'm hearing on the news.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Can't speak for elsewhere but Upstate NY is having a bit of an uptick in C-19 cases. The US has closed its borders to Canada for non essential travel. NY State has closed for travel for folks from 22 other states. If you are traveling via airplane, you need to fill in a 'landing card' and will be quarantined for 14 days with a fine of 2 to 5000 USD if you break that restriction.

Business though is starting to get back somewhat to normal and possibly the reason fot that Covid uptick. We only go out if absolutely necessary though are using the 5er 3-4 days a week but at a virtually deserted CG seasonal that has had very few travelers this year.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The US has 5 times more virus than all of Europe combined. Florida averages 10,000 cash a day and Canada had 330 cases yesterday. Does that tell you what you need to know? I wouldn’t go to Florida if they gave me the place.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Remember we are Americans we like our freedoms no one tells us what to do.

My reply is short. We own lot in Central Florida and have been spending the winter there for years. We will be spending a very cold winter in Northern Ohio this year. Florida is a disaster and with the attractions deciding to open it will be even worse.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've been in NM, TX and KS since the virus started and we have a friend in Tucson we keep in touch with. It's much like when seat belts were required, a few people take it seriously but most don't. Events like the 4H fair are not called off. It's disgusting and if I could, I'd go somewhere safer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
In Texas it is a mixed bag. Most people are wearing masks when out in public. But the younger party crowds are not and ignoring it all as if a problem doesn't exist. The result is a significant upsurge in COVID19 cases, an increase in percentage of testing coming back positive, an increase in hospitalizations, an increase in numbers in ICU, and an increase in deaths. All hitting new highs on an almost daily basis. And those are not simply due to more testing as some try to claim. More testing does not cause more ICU cases and more deaths.

As one 21 year old man who went to a COVID party said just before he died "I think I made a mistake".

Some businesses that had been allowed to reopen are now being told to close again. And could get worse. And schools are going to be on-line only, at least to begin the new school year. No end in sight at this point.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:26 AM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
You are wise to recognize that journalists are not the source for information. They are indeed working with a political agenda.

Where we are in CA people mask up to enter stores when required. Otherwise 50/50 with distancing and masks. The Gov has basically shut down business with many that are gone for good. We have knowledge that many covid deaths are of those that were on hospice and or gravely ill already. Inmate cases are counted and used in part for reasoning to close businesses. Most thinking people see through the deception but will mask and distance to a degree.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
You are wise to recognize that journalists are not the source for information. They are indeed working with a political agenda.

Where we are in CA people mask up to enter stores when required. Otherwise 50/50 with distancing and masks. The Gov has basically shut down business with many that are gone for good. We have knowledge that many covid deaths are of those that were on hospice and or gravely ill already. Inmate cases are counted and used in part for reasoning to close businesses. Most thinking people see through the deception but will mask and distance to a degree.

This is a good observation. We have been in the FL panhandle since May 1. Will leave August 1 heading back to TX. What's it like here? BAU almost. Social distancing is pretty much followed, restaurants have spaced seating - if they're even open anymore, some use masks in stores; some do not. No waiting lines at the clinics etc. I don't know about the metro areas down south but figure the larger the population, the more dense, the higher the count will be for those that test positive; not particularly sick, just test positive. To shed some light on what you read vs reality here is an excerpt from my hometown newspaper with the local doctors (hospital director) comments on the situation back in TX:

"Dr. Key said the number of deaths (Covid) so far in Texas is about a fourth of the number of deaths in the state from flu in each of the past two years.

That, he said, should be taken into consideration when people weigh whether or not they should wear a mask in public."

This is from "boots on the ground", frontline medical providers that deal with the situation on a daily basis, not sensationalized media accounts with an agenda.

The above is posted to simply point out the disparity between what is printed by "non involved" media and those that actually deal with the situation. I'm sure the scenario might be different in a densely packed city....but I don't live there nor go to them. You asked how it was down here and there is a little bit different perspective.

As far as knowing anyone who has had Covid or died from it, we know - sort of. My wife has a good friend in MI (we winter side by side in FL) whose 94 year old mom tested positive (she was already in the hospital) then died. She already had lung disease so could have been the flu just as well.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I'm not sure how to take it. If you believe the journalists it is almost the apocalypse (except of course they don't believe in the Bible).

But if you believe your own eyes and common sense it doesn't seem that bad. Business is conducted close to normal and while I hear of a death or two here and there I don't know anyone (not even very distant relation) that has actually died from the virus. In fact, I haven't even heard of anyone that has had it or even tested positive.

For that reason it is extremely difficult for me to believe there isn't some sort of political motive involved. Particularly because we have never reacted to any of the other pandemics in recent history like this. But I still wear a mask and sanitize my hands when in public, just in case I am wrong.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #11
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
I’ll weigh in here and explain what’s happening here. In Ontario, everything was locked down for several months. People started working from home. Schools have been closed since mid March. Grocery stores could stay open, all other stores could only sell by curb side pickup.

In June, things started to open up slowly, in stages, regionally. Restaurants could serve on patios only, stores were able to open. There were (and still are) restrictions on how many people can be in a store, based on square footage. Someone at the door counts people going in and out. Where I live is now in stage 3, where restaurants can open, limited seating and no buffets. Mask rules are by municipality. Where I live masks are mandatory inside. We are also limited to how big a group we can hang out with. Bars can also be open here. If the numbers start going in the wrong direction, then we have to go back a stage.

The biggest annoyance for me is having to wait outside to get into a store. I don’t personally know anyone who got Covid-19, but someone I know knows a couple who got sick. One died and the other has permanent lung damage.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 07-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Hats off to our wonderful neighbors up north. They have 2900 cases per million and we have 11700. You have done a great job, congratulations!
Lynwood
Old 07-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #13
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
used to be 2 degrees of separation now it is one. even those that are considered cured are struggling with the recovery
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Hats off to our wonderful neighbors up north. They have 2900 cases per million and we have 11700. You have done a great job, congratulations!
Lynwood
Thanks, Lynwood!

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 07-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #15
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Lynwood
It could be that Canada has fewer cases per capita. However, the numbers can't be relied upon. Tests per capita may be different, double counting (as in the U.S.), etc. Covid deaths can't even be a factor for comparison. Dying from Covid related issues is different than simply dying while having Covid.

My opinion is that the U.S. probably does have more cases but not so much based upon numbers. We are of a more independent lot, less likely to get in line. I'll mask and distance only when the need arises. I hope we do this during the regular flu season as well.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I think we (all) are still getting mixed signals from those who say "yes" and those who say "no." About the time things started opening up, bam! Things tighten up again. Then there is the other problem occurring with the riots that are popping up sporadically. Some serious, some not so serious.

The Marion County Fair (Indianapolis, Indiana), opened and last night (Saturday) a group of people, reported to be about 150, stormed the gate, a fight broke out that was quite a brawl, and the Mayor of Indianapolis declare that today (the last day of the fair - Sunday), the fair is officially closed because of the trouble.

I think there is a bigger issues going on than the Virus right now. The unsettled unrest going on all over the USA right now, many the main stream media doesn't even bother to bring up or even mention in passing on the evening news, is more than enough to prevent us from traveling beyond the scope of Indiana.

On the bright side, Indiana State Parks are open and packed right now. We are making reservations for about 6 weeks out and can still get sites for an upcoming week-end. We also have a week scheduled in August and a two week trip scheduled in September, for a total of 4 Indiana State Parks.

State Parks appear to be back to normal. I haven't seen hardly anyone wearing masks, but I've also first hand observed folks being keenly aware of the 6 foot rule. And, to the best of my knowledge, there are no reported cases of Covid spring from any of the Indiana State Parks.

On the other hand, a hand full of main chain grocery stores in Indiana have announced that there is no entry into their building without a mask. But, business is pretty much back to normal.

My wife now "carries" in a hidden compartment in her purse all the time now, and when we travel with the camper, I keep my 20 gauge shot gun right beside our bed in the camper all the time now. I haven't purchased a hand gun for myself yet, I'm still debating on that. And yes, we both have lifetime permits Carry and Conceal for Indiana. This has been a big change for us, in our mind-set for safety and protection, because until this Summer, we never carried or felt unsafe. Now, it's different.

I also know, a number of my close friends are now "carrying". In a way, that could be a good thing, and then, in another way, it could be the Wild, Wild West again!

So, in short, in some ways, things are back to a sense of normal. On the other hand, it's absolutely insane! But, as long as you mind your own business, stay away from crowds and places of gathering, and just don't really discuss the current "ills of society" you can probably get by pretty good right now.

Edit: ... you can probably get by pretty good right now ... IN INDIANA!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #17
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
One concern I have about traveling right now is the fact that you don't know when a "peaceful protest" group may decide to block a major highway and then what would you do if you were trapped there and at their mercy as to what happens next. Trying to avoid Austin now as that has already happened there more than once. We live in Round Rock 20 miles up I-35 and so far nothing major here yet....but who knows about tomorrow!
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #18
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
This says it all to me:

Old 07-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
This says it all to me:

Dave I love that. Science was always my favorite subject of course after play period and machine shop.
Lynwood
Old 07-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #20
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Dave I love that. Science was always my favorite subject of course after play period and machine shop.
Lynwood

Lynwood - machine shop is also a science too. Just pick up a copy of Machinery's Handbook.

Then there is this to consider