Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #1
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
4.5 month trip to east coast and back

August 9th we are departing on a 4 1/2 month trip to the east coast and back. We live in the PNW, 4 miles from Canada in Lynden, WA. DW has never seen the Atlantic Ocean and it's on her "bucket list" so we have a week on the Out Banks at Camp Hatteras. We will be visiting our daughter in Cambridge, OH and traveling to the Out Banks from there. What is the best route from Cambridge to the Outer Banks? I'm using the RV Life Trip Wizard app but it seems they want to take me on a longer route then I want. I know absolutely nothing about West Virginia and Virginia roads and mountains. What is best route? After the Outer Banks, one of our next stops is Martinsville, VA for a NASCAR Cup race (my bucket list). Best route from Outer Banks to Martinsville, VA? When I cross the Mississippi River we are in "uncharted territory" and it's a little intimidating for me as I know the east have their share of mountains and treacherous roads.

Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:55 AM   #2
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
I-77 which runs by Cambridge OH will take you straight south to I-40 in NC. From there you can go east to Raleigh and take US 264 - then US 64 to Rocky Mount and straight out to Manteo. You can cut across a triangle from I-77 to I-40 using US 421 that brings you to I-40 west of Winston-Salem, NC and saves about 30 miles. It's a good road (4 lanes) the entire way. Parts of I-77 through West VA are curvy but not difficult.
To get back to Martinsville, I would retrace the route to Greensboro where you can get I-73 to US 220.
In case you are interested, there is a campground at the NC State Fairgrounds in Raleigh that is open year round -EXCEPT October when the fair is going. They don't currently take reservations - only space available, but we've never had an issue getting in except around the end of Sept. We were there in June for a week. Google NC State Fairgrounds camping for more info. The security officer told us they were looking at implementing reservations as soon as this fall.

Happy trails!
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When you are out here I would suggest seeing the Blueridge Parkway. It’s an absolutely beautiful road one of the top roads in the country. Right now the Rhododendron is in full bloom and some twenty feet tall. People here will say don’t take your camper but I’ve had mine on it several times and saw many campers without any problem. Look it up on the NPS website or the NPS app.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Thank you, the routes you listed are what I was looking for. Trying to stay away from high populated areas that the App was routing me thru.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I don't think the East mountains are anything like the Rockies. No problems in the east except cities and Parkways in NY which has no signs about no rvs/trailers but that is the law (and the overpasses are < 12 feet in places).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote