Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2022, 10:49 PM   #1
SEC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27610
Had it with AAA

I just spent a miserable day on the side of 1-70 in Kansas after suffering 2 flats within an hour. I was down a tire and at this point had no spare. I am a AAA subscriber and had no option but to give it a try. It was Sunday and all of the tire shops were closed. I was appalled at the difficulty I encountered trying to get help. I assumed AAA would be ready to offer assistance but that was not the case. After multiple conversations with computers and an eternity on hold I finally got to talk with someone. They then had to transfer me to a “Kansas Club”, and the process started over. After being promised assistance would arrive and when to expect it it never came. I am looking for a new rv roadside service that works. What do you folks use? My Premium RV with AAA is useless. Thanks in advance.

SEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:55 AM   #2
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with AAA. I had the complete opposite experience a few years ago. I broke down in the middle of northern Texas late on a Saturday afternoon and within a couple of hours AAA sent a semi wrecker. He towed my truck and trailer 101 miles to a RV park in Clinton Oklahoma. He carefully positioned me in my spot and disconnected my truck from the trailer. On Monday morning AAA sent another wrecker to take my truck to the Ford dealer who promptly worked me into their schedule and had me on the road by late afternoon.
I guess it just depends upon which “club” you’re dealing with.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We've had AAA Plus RV with little luck, just went thru a deal with GoodSam Road Service and ended calling a local tow service. So I guess we'll give Coach Net a try next as I haven't heard bad reports on them.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:39 AM   #4
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Not sure if it matter who you have, I think it's where you're at. 4-5 years ago coming out of a park shredded the belt on the truck, Sunday called who I had towing with & no one available. Called a guy I knew 70 miles away, & he said I'm at Oreilys what do you need. Nice day so I'll ride up on my bike with the parts.

Getting back to nobody available someone said they had an emergency tow service that worked AAA & others but didn't like to be bothered weekends & late night.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
SEC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27610
Thanks for the replies. I think that it probably has a lot to do with where you break down.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I thinks it's where you break down as well as when you break down. All of these insurance providers tend to share call centers and all are drawing from the available/limited pool of tow companies in a given area, none of which work directly for the insurance companies...they are subcontractors that are on call lists for several agencies. I believe the fine print in these policies has disclaimers based on availability of service at the time of need. At the end of the day I don't believe they are obligated to provide service if there isn't any available at the time you need it.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Sorry to hear about your nightmare with two blowouts and a lack of service. Sounds like now is a good time to replace all 4 tires.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We had a tire failure this past weekend. Called AAA and they couldn’t find anyone to dispatch. They told me to find a local repair shop and they would reimburse me. Filled out the paperwork today and the money is on the way.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We have roadside assistance with our insurance company Geico. Have only used it once and it worked well.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC View Post
I just spent a miserable day on the side of 1-70 in Kansas after suffering 2 flats within an hour. I was down a tire and at this point had no spare. I am a AAA subscriber and had no option but to give it a try. It was Sunday and all of the tire shops were closed. I was appalled at the difficulty I encountered trying to get help. I assumed AAA would be ready to offer assistance but that was not the case. After multiple conversations with computers and an eternity on hold I finally got to talk with someone. They then had to transfer me to a “Kansas Club”, and the process started over. After being promised assistance would arrive and when to expect it it never came. I am looking for a new rv roadside service that works. What do you folks use? My Premium RV with AAA is useless. Thanks in advance.
I depend on no one especially a young darling on the phone that could care less if you get assistance in the next 3 days on the side of the road. Carry everything you think might break and 2 spares. If you can`t fix it there unhook and go get it even if it takes you all day to find it. If that doesn't work call the police and tell them you need assistance. Believe me they don`t want you sitting on the side of the highway broken down for any length of time, way to dangerous. They will come and have the names of people that will come and help for a fee of course even on a Sunday. I gave up on AAA a long long time ago after talking to a pinhead that couldn't understand the gravity of the situation.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 11:52 PM   #11
SEC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27610
Tires purchased

Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Sorry to hear about your nightmare with two blowouts and a lack of service. Sounds like now is a good time to replace all 4 tires.
I left Wakeeny KS this morning with 4 new commercial grade Carlisle 14 ply tires thanks to Santee and his mobile service. 350 miles, so far so good!
Old 08-22-2022, 11:59 PM   #12
SEC
Established Member

M.O.C. #27610
Tires purchased

Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
I left Wakeeny KS this morning with 4 new commercial grade Carlisle 14 ply tires thanks to Santee and his mobile service. 350 miles, so far so good! The folks at the KOA Journey gave me all of the time I needed to get it done. Great Place👍
Old 08-23-2022, 08:42 AM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Dumped AAA years ago. Switched to Good Sam, have used twice over the years, responsive both times.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:39 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've used Coach-net for over 12 years and they've been great. Used them for road service twice, once at a Fish and Wildlife location that GPS can't find, and couldn't be happier. We even needed a mobile repair guy for a serious electrical issue and when we called the one the park recommended they told us they were booked for a week. Called Coach-net and they had that same company out the next morning.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:41 PM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
I left Wakeeny KS this morning with 4 new commercial grade Carlisle 14 ply tires thanks to Santee and his mobile service. 350 miles, so far so good!
I was just going to say what brand were the tires? There are so many different threads and posts on this forum to guide you in a Direction on Tire choices for these heavy trailers. The consensus has long been Sailun s637 or Goodyear g614.
You know the saying" you can pay me now or you can pay me later"
So if I get through to one person reading this, the moral of the story is get them cheap ass China bomb tires off your trailer or you will someday face a similar fate maybe even worse.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:11 PM   #16
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
As others have said, I think a lot of the issue is where you are. I have had AAA since 2007 and had good service. Our old class C ate tires and had to use AAA to rescue us probably twice a year almost always on the weekend. Only 1 time they sent a guy in a service van that didn’t have the tools to lift our rig but within another hour they had found us a large flat bed tow truck who got us home and sent someone out the next day to get the tire repaired. We were on our way home so it worked out fine. Since getting our 5er we have only needed AAA 1 time but had the same good experience . Hopefully we will continue with the same type of experience in the future as we venture farther out of our home state of Arizona
Sorry for the bad response you had and hope you find someone you get better service from.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #17
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
Had transmission issue a couple years back. AAA RV plus premium membership. Up to 100 miles free...I needed to be towed 93 miles. After 3 hrs of phone games the AAA agent admittedly stated there were appropriate towing services within a few miles of my location but none of the contractors wanted to take the longer tow job. I was left hanging with an apology and the old " You will have to make your own arrangements, pay the bill & submit it for reimbursement." They did pay up after some wait time but I was stuck on the road side for 8 hours.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #18
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Excellent services with Coachnet.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #19
Martin the Cat
Established Member

M.O.C. #27739
AAA

Quote:
I had the same exact "level" of service (being none) - except mine happened at 11pm...finally at 3am of AAA not being able to find someone who could help me (I was in a Class A)...I got on the internet and looked up "Big Rig Towing near Sioux Falls SD". Guess what in less than 60 seconds I had found someone and they were already on their way -- plus they worked with AAA! This was the second time we had an experience like that in one year. I post a complaint in a forum like this....and a couple of months later I received a letter from AAA -- saying that they would not renew us. I called and asked why...but was told two time that they did not have to provide a reason. Now I am with my RV Insurance company who already had roadside service as a part of my plan.
Martin the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:15 PM   #20
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Gave up on AAA years ago. Decades ago I thought they were a gold standard but not so anymore. To compound issues where you live and the plan options you have there may or may not be available wherever you are so it's a mess. I've got Good Sam roadside/roadside assist, Geico roadside and one other one that escapes me at the moment. Depending on the day and the time any or all of them may be useless - AAA was just that way more than the others.

I had a tire failure recently on the TV on I20 right outside Dallas. Something that Geico has gone to that I haven't gotten to check into is some kind of network that uses what I suppose are individuals in business to do roadside assistance. No waiting for the shop, for them to find the time or break free from whatever they have lined up - these guys just come out. He contacted me within 5 minutes of talking to Geico to confirm my location. No tow truck, no big truck with all kinds of equipment; a personal (I assumed) pickup with tools, jacks etc. in the back - that's it. His floor jack couldn't pick up the truck with the trailer on it so I used the front jacks. He was trying to use a 4 way so I got out my cordless impact which he loved. I wanted the spare topped off but he had no compressor so we used my Viair. If I was paying top dollar that would have gotten under my skin but it was free and fast. Also he was the one trying to work that jack, pull the flat and replace it with the spare all 3' from 80mph traffic on I20 rocking the truck, me and him. God bless him. Don't know if that is a new wrinkle or what but he sure saved my bacon so I could drive 10-12 miles to an RV park then visit Discount Tire to have a new set of Michelin Defenders put on the truck...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote