Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2022, 07:35 AM   #1
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Eastern Tennessee

We are planning a trip to Eastern Tennessee after next year’s rally (2023). I was looking at campgrounds online, and most don’t seem to show their prices on their websites. I have heard that Anchor Down is very nice, but their price is $99 per night. Is that the going price for most campgrounds in that area? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Also, are there any attractions or things to do we should consider while in the area? I already have Dollywood on our list, as well as Great Smoky Mountain park for driving around and hiking. We will have our ebikes with us, so if anyone knows of any good trails we can explore in the area, that would be great.

We want to see the Biltmore estate in Asheville, and head home to Eastern Ontario via I-81. We take I-81 to and from Florida every year, but we have never stopped to explore the area, including the Blueridge Parkway. So that’s on our list as well.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:43 AM   #2
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
We've stayed at Riverside RV Park in Sevierville, TN a couple of times. Right off I-40/81.
In Asheville there are several good places. Asheville Bear Creek, Rutledge Lake and Momma Gerties are all good locations. Bear Creek is the tightest in terms of sites, but also the most convenient to see the Biltmore House and Biltmore Village area as well as downtown. Happy Camping!
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We went Oct 2021 to Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg/ Smoky Mountains and the area was the busiest place we have seen - like Port Aransas TX beach on July 4...and we like that! We stayed at Sun Outdoors Pigeon Forge RV Park and it was very nice. We drove by other RV parks in the area and I came away thinking that they are all pretty nice parks and you can't go wrong with any of them. The daily rates reflect the demand.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:44 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm in North Carolina right now as a camp host. A couple days ago I was talking to someone at the campground that recently visited the Biltomore House. She said the entrance fee was over $50 now. Check out prices before you go.

Also, the area around Gatlinburg and Dollywood is a tourist area and they know it. Prices are jacked up there because they know desperate people will pay desperate prices to satisfy their egos. But if you really want to stay there, then you pay.

North Carolina State Parks charge $35 a night for RV sites. Primitive sites are $26. And, if you have young kids, they will not appreciate the Biltomore Estate. They'll have more fun climbing rocks and exploring mountain trails.

Working as a campground host at this state park in NC, which is an all primitive, non electric, mostly tent camping, or RV dry camping, I've seen some amazing things happen here with kids. Kids who are glued to their electronic devices all of a sudden discover they have no power here. Once they get it in their heads they are disconnected, they blossom! They rediscover nature, hiking trails, climbing, and bugs! I've seen it happen several times now, and had several of their parents relay this to me as well. (anyway, it's just something to think about if you have kids).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:01 AM   #5
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I'm in North Carolina right now as a camp host. A couple days ago I was talking to someone at the campground that recently visited the Biltomore House. She said the entrance fee was over $50 now. Check out prices before you go.

Also, the area around Gatlinburg and Dollywood is a tourist area and they know it. Prices are jacked up there because they know desperate people will pay desperate prices to satisfy their egos. But if you really want to stay there, then you pay.

North Carolina State Parks charge $35 a night for RV sites. Primitive sites are $26. And, if you have young kids, they will not appreciate the Biltomore Estate. They'll have more fun climbing rocks and exploring mountain trails.

Working as a campground host at this state park in NC, which is an all primitive, non electric, mostly tent camping, or RV dry camping, I've seen some amazing things happen here with kids. Kids who are glued to their electronic devices all of a sudden discover they have no power here. Once they get it in their heads they are disconnected, they blossom! They rediscover nature, hiking trails, climbing, and bugs! I've seen it happen several times now, and had several of their parents relay this to me as well. (anyway, it's just something to think about if you have kids).

Thanks. We are retired, so no kids on board. I just checked and a self guided tour of the Biltmore astate is $89. Ouch!

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 08-22-2022, 09:06 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Builtmore is a must see and while you are there by all means see the Blueridge Parkway. Get on in North Carolina north to Roanoke or farther. It’s a winding road but that is ok you will need to stop often anyway. There are several CG along the way.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
From Gatlinburg to Charlotte is 4 hours drive. We’ll have to decide if we want to see the Biltmore estate on the way. We know a wonderful campground just south of Charlotte at Carowinds. We stay there every fall on our way to Florida, so we’ll likely stay there on our way to the Blueridge parkway.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 08-22-2022, 01:43 PM   #8
Dratlief
Established Member

M.O.C. #29012
Send a message via Yahoo to Dratlief
So much to see and do in Nashville.
Dratlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dratlief View Post
So much to see and do in Nashville.
We did Memphis and Nashville on the way home from Florida a few years ago. Both places were interesting for sure. This trip will be for Great Smoky Mountains park and the Blueridge parkway.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 08-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #10
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
We always seem to end up in the Pigeon Forge area about twice a year. I've used Anchor Down once and was not impressed. To begin with when you pull up to register the parking spot for registration is on a pretty steep grade, steep enough to chock your wheels. The most annoying thing for me was the golf cart usage. The campground has a large fleet of rental carts and there were kids that appeared to be as young as 8-10 years old just driving laps around the campground, reminded me of the Indy 500. They absolutely will not stop long enough to let you back in. The campground itself is quite beautiful; seems like there are 2 or maybe 3 different levels with the lower level having spaces looking over Douglas Lake. From here you are at least 30-45 minutes from Dollywood depending on traffic. If your travels are during the week when the kids should be in school this maybe won't be so bad.

We have become regulars at Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge. It's relatively small, 72 sites; quiet and very well kept. There are mature trees everywhere and a stream along one side. If you look it up, take a look at the 2 sites on the cul-de-sac #61 & 62, they are very spacious. We were there in early May and if I remember correctly they were $69/night. It's very close to Dollywood, shopping, and restaurants. They accept reservations 6 months in advance based on your departure date, not check-in.

Smokey Bear RV Park in Gatlinburg is another small and highly rated park. Have not personally stayed there. There are a number of CGs along the Gatlinburg East Parkway, if you choose one of those, do NOT pull through downtown Gatlinburg. It's extremely narrow and many stop lights.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:14 PM   #11
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
We always seem to end up in the Pigeon Forge area about twice a year. I've used Anchor Down once and was not impressed. To begin with when you pull up to register the parking spot for registration is on a pretty steep grade, steep enough to chock your wheels. The most annoying thing for me was the golf cart usage. The campground has a large fleet of rental carts and there were kids that appeared to be as young as 8-10 years old just driving laps around the campground, reminded me of the Indy 500. They absolutely will not stop long enough to let you back in. The campground itself is quite beautiful; seems like there are 2 or maybe 3 different levels with the lower level having spaces looking over Douglas Lake. From here you are at least 30-45 minutes from Dollywood depending on traffic. If your travels are during the week when the kids should be in school this maybe won't be so bad.

We have become regulars at Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge. It's relatively small, 72 sites; quiet and very well kept. There are mature trees everywhere and a stream along one side. If you look it up, take a look at the 2 sites on the cul-de-sac #61 & 62, they are very spacious. We were there in early May and if I remember correctly they were $69/night. It's very close to Dollywood, shopping, and restaurants. They accept reservations 6 months in advance based on your departure date, not check-in.

Smokey Bear RV Park in Gatlinburg is another small and highly rated park. Have not personally stayed there. There are a number of CGs along the Gatlinburg East Parkway, if you choose one of those, do NOT pull through downtown Gatlinburg. It's extremely narrow and many stop lights.
Thanks very much for this information. I will definitely check it out.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 08-23-2022, 06:44 AM   #12
wjg315
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21318
While we were in Pigeon Forge last year (and stopping there again this fall) we were told about a place called Cades Cove. It is a drive through park where both times we drove through last year we saw black bear, deer and turkey. It is to the south and west of Pigeon Forge about a 40 minute drive but well worth it. We just googled it and found directions.

And yes the traffic around there is pretty bad. We use to think it was bad in Branson, MO until we went to Pigeon Forge.
wjg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:56 AM   #13
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjg315 View Post
While we were in Pigeon Forge last year (and stopping there again this fall) we were told about a place called Cades Cove. It is a drive through park where both times we drove through last year we saw black bear, deer and turkey. It is to the south and west of Pigeon Forge about a 40 minute drive but well worth it. We just googled it and found directions.

And yes the traffic around there is pretty bad. We use to think it was bad in Branson, MO until we went to Pigeon Forge.
I read about that road, and also that it is open to bikes only on Wednesday and Saturday. We are considering taking our ebikes there.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 08-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #14
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I grew up about an hour away from that area and lived half my life there and can offer some insights about prime time to visit if your goal is to avoid crowds. That area is usually very beautiful in the fall when the leaves start turning. It seems that most people have the perception that the third week in October is the color peak. This is not necessarily so any more. We were there the second week in November a couple of years ago and there were absolutely no crowds and the leaves were just post peak then; it was really beautiful and temperatures very mild.

If possible, avoid the month of October and anything around a holiday such as Memorial Day or Labor Day, July 4. There are normally big crowds most all summer and school spring break times. Prices on all lodging and restaurants adjust for the peak times. This doesn't necessarily affect CGs so much, but that area tends to get really busy on fall weekends when UT has a home football game.

There is a fairly newly opened Camp Margaretville in Pigeon Forge. We stayed there last June when it first opened. Being a long time Parrothead, I just had to stay there. When you look around you will quickly realize no expense was spared in building this place, it looks like they took at least 50 feet of earth off the side of a hill to build it. The trees are newly planted and relatively small. It will be an absolutely beautiful place in the future when they mature a bit. It's also very expensive, there are some select sites that charge $189/night. I'm sorry, but for that amount of money I should be able to look out my window and see an ocean.

If you are interested in visiting Cades Cove, Wears Valley Rd. runs between Pigeon Forge and Cades Cove. There are a lot of CGs along that road. I've never stayed at one, but Honeysuckle Meadows is a highly rated one. Judging by photos on their website it's apparently an older CG with large mature trees and large sites.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
I grew up about an hour away from that area and lived half my life there and can offer some insights about prime time to visit if your goal is to avoid crowds. That area is usually very beautiful in the fall when the leaves start turning. It seems that most people have the perception that the third week in October is the color peak. This is not necessarily so any more. We were there the second week in November a couple of years ago and there were absolutely no crowds and the leaves were just post peak then; it was really beautiful and temperatures very mild.

If possible, avoid the month of October and anything around a holiday such as Memorial Day or Labor Day, July 4. There are normally big crowds most all summer and school spring break times. Prices on all lodging and restaurants adjust for the peak times. This doesn't necessarily affect CGs so much, but that area tends to get really busy on fall weekends when UT has a home football game.

There is a fairly newly opened Camp Margaretville in Pigeon Forge. We stayed there last June when it first opened. Being a long time Parrothead, I just had to stay there. When you look around you will quickly realize no expense was spared in building this place, it looks like they took at least 50 feet of earth off the side of a hill to build it. The trees are newly planted and relatively small. It will be an absolutely beautiful place in the future when they mature a bit. It's also very expensive, there are some select sites that charge $189/night. I'm sorry, but for that amount of money I should be able to look out my window and see an ocean.

If you are interested in visiting Cades Cove, Wears Valley Rd. runs between Pigeon Forge and Cades Cove. There are a lot of CGs along that road. I've never stayed at one, but Honeysuckle Meadows is a highly rated one. Judging by photos on their website it's apparently an older CG with large mature trees and large sites.

Thanks for the information. We have to make sure we get home by mid October because we have to be out of the U.S. for 30 days before leaving for Florida. If we don’t, then the days between our trips get added to our total days in the U.S. As we are only allowed 182 days, we have to be very careful about this.

I am doing some research on the Blue Ridge trail and it appears that the most interesting parts are in North Carolina.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 08-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #16
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Try Up the Creek just outside the hubbub of Pigeon Forge/Dollywood. We stayed there last spring and it was a nice small quiet CG. Don't recall the $.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #17
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
We stay here a couple of years ago before it was a KOA. Right on the river in the hills

Jonesborough / Cherokee NF KOA
3937 Highway 81 S, Jonesborough, TN 37659

Really enjoyed the remoteness and good area to explore.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #18
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:

Pine Mountain looks perfect. I’ve put that on my list of places to stay.

One question- we are planning to do some scenic driving and hiking in Smoky Mountains park. Do you suggest after we’ve seen what we want to see in Sieverville and Gatlinburg that we move to a different campground, or is Pine Mountain still a good jumping off point for that?

2017 High Country 305RL