Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2023, 10:19 AM   #1
4mcqueens
Established Member

M.O.C. #33565
Underbody Problem?

Hey All,

So we're looking to pick up our 3941FO (new, but dealer stock) this weekend. Once of the things we noticed when we did an initial walk through (among other things) is that that the underbody panel has been cut all the way across (left to right) about 6 feet behind the rearward axle to replace/repair the black tank valve at the dealership. They had riveted the panel back in place but used what looks like seam/duct/whatever tape which wasn't sticking for crap (veiled black tank joke there). I told them that I really need that addressed before we sign off and take delivery. From my uneducated perspective I can totally see that seam getting pressure washed by road spray the first time we're towing through the rain.

My question, how much of a stink should I be prepared to make here? It is reasonable for us to ask for a replacement underbody? is "tape" really how things are sealed back up when they cut into the panel like that?

Thanks for the advice!

4mcqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:37 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It is pretty normal to use something like Gorilla tape to seal up a cut in the coroplast. One makes these cuts to access things like valves, hydraulic rams, sensors, etc. It is imperative to clean the surface before installing the tape. The fact they actually "riveted" the edges implies they re-enforced the seam. I would insist they clean the area and re-install the Gorilla or Scrim tape so it doesn't come loose in the wind. Replacing the coroplast seem to be excessive to me.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:52 AM   #3
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Good catch. You definitely don’t want it to open and the front half sag and back half catch air and rip down.

IMHO, your position could be to have it replaced. They should have or have access to the material. The labor (2 hrs?) will be to remove the “nails” holding the cover and replace them with Tek screws. A hassle for them but they could probably submit a warranty claim. Their response will tell you something about their customer service. With trailer sales slowing a lot, it might be in your favor. Being calm, polite, but firm probably will help.

Next option might be a channel or angle iron strut (painted) that spans left/right and is attached to the frame with Tek screws. (Maybe this is what they did or used an existing strut when you refer to rivets? If it sags in the middle, they probably didn’t add a strut. Then Tek screws with an alum flat bar holding the material at the cut. (There is a prob some of the alum flat bar (actually has a slight C shape) spanning left/right at the front of the back cover.)

Gorilla tape might hold better but would hate to rely on that alone.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:39 AM   #4
4mcqueens
Established Member

M.O.C. #33565
Thanks for the feedback so far. To clarify the perimeter is where the rivets are. There is nothing on the cross cut other than the faulty tape they tried previously and I’m very worried about it turning into some very uncool ground effects scoop.
It’s good to have some suggestions I can put on the table if we need to push back.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:41 AM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I don't know how much you are paying them for this RV, but I'm sure they should be able to replace the coroplast and still make a lot of money; it is not that expensive and a few hours labor. Stick to your guns; "you fix it, I'll buy it".

You are probably going to have this RV for a long time and this will haunt you. Any tape will probably have to be replaced periodically; however, I have no experience with tape; I refuse to cut into mine or let any shop do it.

And, yes, after they drill out the power nails have them reinstall with #10 x 3/4" Tek screws and fender washers; will save them time and make your life easier down the road. Use the same holes the power nails came out of. Throw them a bone, tell them you will buy the screws and washers.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=76400
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #6
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Unfortunately, they probably can't and won't replace it. I would look elsewhere if and when you have to cut it yourself to make a repair, you're not going to like it. Somebody else will take your money as well.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:21 AM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you haven't already closed the deal, make them replace it entirely.
Just make sure everything works properly.
Maybe look for leaks and verify valves are working before they replace it.
It's amazing what they will do to make a sale.
After the deal is done you are on your own. It's very hard to get any warranty work done from MOST dealers.
We have had ALL our warranty and other work done at Affinity RV Group in Goshin Indiana (two days drive for us). Usually we schedule work to be done around the annual Rally at the Elkhart Co Fairground.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:53 AM   #8
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
If you haven't already closed the deal, make them replace it entirely.
Just make sure everything works properly.
Maybe look for leaks and verify valves are working before they replace it.
It's amazing what they will do to make a sale.
After the deal is done you are on your own. It's very hard to get any warranty work done from MOST dealers.
We have had ALL our warranty and other work done at Affinity RV Group in Goshin Indiana (two days drive for us). Usually we schedule work to be done around the annual Rally at the Elkhart Co Fairground.
Bought our rig there at Pete's RV and saved $7000.00, first stop Indiana Dunes.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:02 AM   #9
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Nope!!!!

Make them replace the entire rear section before you sign. It's an easy job for an RV service department. Do not accept a promise (written or otherwise) to fix it later. They'll put you at the back of the line.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 02:41 PM   #10
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Since you're at it, why not use sheet metal?
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #11
4mcqueens
Established Member

M.O.C. #33565
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Since you're at it, why not use sheet metal?
I like the suggestion, however, we're already really tight on cargo capacity and I'm trying to keep weight down if at all possible.

Thanks to everyone for the input! Our dealer has been pretty good to work with (this is our second unit we've purchased from them) and they fixed all the other items we called out in our initial walk through. The new "Tape" job seems like it should work. That being said, I'll be watching it closely and will be pushing to get a replacement panel installed if it doesn't provide a durable solution.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:39 AM   #12
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
Job Half done

Well, you probably have picked up the trailer by now. Congratulations. It just strikes me that the dealership did half a repair job because it was on their penny. I cant imagine that any reputable repair place would quote you anything less than replacing the whole panel if they had to stand by the repair and you or your insurance company was picking up the tab.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:15 PM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
No dealership is going to replace the entire under belly coroplast. That would be a major undertaking. Mine has been opened in several places. The difference is mine was screwed, riveted and sealed. Not taped. Although that appears to be common.