Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2024, 12:30 PM   #1
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Remove the Wheels

I ordered new tires this week and it made me think of a question. If you set the Montana permanently do you remove the tires/wheels from the axle so the springs can relax (if that is a thing)?

If so, do you put the RV frame on blocks?

brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 01:25 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If I was setting mine up permanently, I would level it then put the frame on blocks. Then you don't have to worry about the hydraulics leaking down over time.
Make sure the stairs is stowed before you start or you could do serious damage to the stairs and door.
Then I would put blocks under the axles at the U clamps and raise the axle until the tire was just barely touching the ground. Then deflate the tires to 20psi.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 01:33 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I think it all depends upon where you set the camper up and what you want to do with the tires if you remove them:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:45 PM   #4
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Both of those are answers that I was contemplating. Both seem towards the same path.
Do you have anchored tie downs too?
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:51 PM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Holy S%#@ balls! I'd never hang my axles and rely solely on the frame! I'd put supports under them....
Old 01-15-2024, 09:18 PM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I would think letting the wheels hang on the springs would put less stress than having the weight of the camper compressing them. But honestly, I can’t see that either way would hurt the springs. Cars and trucks sit on their wheels for decades without any significant issues.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:51 AM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
Both of those are answers that I was contemplating. Both seem towards the same path.
Do you have anchored tie downs too?
I would definitely anchor it down. There are kits you can get. I would use the hydraulic jack legs.
Before you drive Anchors, talk to the Campground and call "Miss Utility" (or whatever the local Utility locator service is). You DONT want to drive an anchor through a power line or water line.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:24 AM   #8
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Mine is set up probably permanently on my own property now, the tires are still on it, and it's not on blocks. But I wish it were!

A tire has now blown on one side, which makes the whole thing tilt slightly--but since it's old and I don't plan to move it, I'm not going to deal with fixing or replacing the tire just yet, if ever. The tires are as old as the Montana. I'm hoping a tire will go flat soon on the other side too.

I also wish the tires were gone because that would eliminate points of entry for ants to get in--which is a problem where I am. It's much easier to find, disrupt, and totally block off an ant trail coming up from the ground onto a concrete block that it is to do the same when the ants are coming up over and through tires.

My rig is not anchored down, but is pretty much sheltered from the wind on three sides anyway, so isn't blown around too much in regular storms. In a tornado, anything goes, tied down or not. I think tying yours down would be a good idea.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:43 PM   #9
Bronto61

M.O.C. #21341
I have a 3791RD in a permanent site, I wanted to put it on blocks to avoid leveling problems, but my insurance company questioned whether it was on blocks when I got insurance for it, so I didn’t pursue it. Not sure why that asked that, guess I should have asked for more info
Bronto61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:08 PM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no 3rd a/c..... Mini split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronto61 View Post
I have a 3791RD in a permanent site, I wanted to put it on blocks to avoid leveling problems, but my insurance company questioned whether it was on blocks when I got insurance for it, so I didn’t pursue it. Not sure why that asked that, guess I should have asked for more info
They were just looking for a way to deny any claim you might have in the future. Tread lightly.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:09 PM   #11
Maddog
Established Member

M.O.C. #18615
Send a message via AIM to Maddog
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
I ordered new tires this week and it made me think of a question. If you set the Montana permanently do you remove the tires/wheels from the axle so the springs can relax (if that is a thing)?

If so, do you put the RV frame on blocks?
Removing the tires and setting on blocks is making it a permanent residence and in some states makes you responsible for property taxes.
Maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:13 PM   #12
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronto61 View Post
I put insurance on my Montana several years back in order to move it, and the rule with my insurance company then was that in order to keep insurance on it, it had to be moved at least once a year.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote