Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
Jamesadixon48
Established Member

M.O.C. #18011
black tank flusher

I am having trouble getting my water hose to make a good connection to the black tank flush system. When connected, it spews water everywhere. I even bought a new hose, made sure I was connecting it properly and tight, and it still doesn't work.

I have had other RVs and have successfully flushed out my black tank, so I think I am doing things correctly. What am I missing here?

The unit is still under warranty....I just hate to take it to my dealer if there may be a trouble shooting idea I could try.

Also, what's the best product for sanitizing the black tank? We use the drop in packets. Are they the best?

Jamesadixon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:06 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Are you sure there is a gasket where the hose screws into the connection?

You will find MANY opinions so far as "sanitizing" the black tank. Why do you feel a need to sanitize the black tank.........is someone going to drink from it?!

We are full timers and have been for almost 6 years. We use nothing but PLENTY of water and do not dump until the tank reaches about 3/4 full or when it "burps". We flush the tank every 2-3 dumps to remove anything that has not totally dissolved while in the tank. BTW, we do not have any problems with odor by doing it this way either. We have one of those "tornado" devices mounted on the black tank vent on the roof.

Works for us.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:44 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On our previous rig, we had to add another hose washer in order to get a seal. With regards to treatment of the black tank, we now use Odorlos and keep orange TST as a backup.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would second the idea of a washer problem. We use Happy Camper in our black tank. I think you may get as many answers on tank treatment as you get respondents. Most of us found something we believe works for us and aren't going to try something new. Basically most of us won't try to fix what for us ain't broke.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yeah like WeBeFulltime,Bingo, and Dick said every time that has happened to me the rubber gasket fell out,and if that is not it maybee the back flow preventer valve is stuck? mine is under the bathroom sink connected to the 2 white pipes
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
rubber gasket most common issue
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
We have a black tank flush (pretty sure most do) but I recently bought a "wand" with a rotating brass nozzle on the end that goes down the toilet opening into the black tank.
Hook it up to a hose, turn it on and let it work...seems to have done the job based on what I see in the clear drain elbow.
I agree with others...just try some difference tank stuff to see what you like. We just use AquaChem packets.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #8
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I use TankTechsRX in my new 3100rl. A friend of mine has used it for about four years and swears my it. ...will see.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not all hose washers are created the same. The OEM ones are not exactly high quality in our case just a normal hose washer purchased at Lowes solved the problem of leaks. We rarely use any additive in our black tanks just lots of water and dump/flush often. When we do use something it is generally whatever we can get our hands on. We are partial however to happy camper and RidX for Rv's. When we get home this spring we will fill all tanks with RidX for Rv's and let it work for a week or so then give them a good flush.

We never have problem's with clogged tanks just burst tanks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Not all hose washers are created the same. The OEM ones are not exactly high quality in our case just a normal hose washer purchased at Lowes solved the problem of leaks. We rarely use any additive in our black tanks just lots of water and dump/flush often. When we do use something it is generally whatever we can get our hands on. We are partial however to happy camper and RidX for Rv's. When we get home this spring we will fill all tanks with RidX for Rv's and let it work for a week or so then give them a good flush.

We never have problem's with clogged tanks just burst tanks.
Hmmmmmmm.......Just a thought! Rich, have you considered that maybe the RidX could be causing the tank problems you've had? Not saying that this is the case but this just caught my eye. You have certainly had more than your share of tank leaks.

I prefer the red rubber hose gaskets that I usually find at Ace Hardware. Seem to last longer too.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
Kampn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18069
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jamesadixon48

I am having trouble getting my water hose to make a good connection to the black tank flush system. When connected, it spews water everywhere. I even bought a new hose, made sure I was connecting it properly and tight, and it still doesn't work.

I have had other RVs and have successfully flushed out my black tank, so I think I am doing things correctly. What am I missing here?

The unit is still under warranty....I just hate to take it to my dealer if there may be a trouble shooting idea I could try.

Also, what's the best product for sanitizing the black tank? We use the drop in packets. Are they the best?
Are you sure water is going into the tank? Can you hear it spraying? If the tank is empty, you could open the drain and see if water from the sprayer is coming out.
The reason I ask is that on our last camper, when it was brand new, the blank tank flush valve was defective, or so they said, and it was keeping water from flowing into the sprayer. This made the pressure higher and if I didn't have a good seal on the hose it leaked. With a good seal it still shouldn't leak.. but I thought I would share the problem I had, which made it harder to seal and more likely to leak.
Kampn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
My problem was the OEM washer. New washer or double up washers and most problems resolved.

Tom Marty