Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
joenan
Established Member

M.O.C. #17961
Bedroom Slide

In need of a little help to solving our problem with the bedroom slide which is electric on this rig.
We have a 2015 3160RL that when you try to activate the slide to the out position it has a ratcheting sound and will not go all the way out. It seems to operate properly when returning the slide inward.
The noise is coming from the motor/gearbox area. I see no broken gears or loose cables. is this a motor problem or cable problem? How can I fix it? Thanks

joenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Have you looked over the top of the slide inside the camper? Are the cables adjusted properly? Go to the manufacturer's web site to se how the cable should be adjusted. Is the noise coming out of the gearbox or the chain? It's hard to help without knowing these things.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
It helps to have someone operate the slide as you do whatever you have to do to follow the chains and their connections while it is doing its thing. For our model, it is standing on the bed in order to see the motor and chain to cable connections. You want to make sure that these connections (those plastic blocks) are vertical and pass by each other on both sides. I can watch this from the bed for the right connections and in our hallway for the left connections. You can physically twist the blocks so they are vertical. Also important to note is if the slideout is moving out squarely so that the distance from inside wall to left and right slide facia or if outside is it moving in or out squarely and maintaing that squareness. What you note as racheting...if meaning a series of clicks...would be different than one or two "pops" that I would note when the connection blocks snag on each other if not vertical. A series of clicking might be a result of the slide being really unsquare and due to one side being all the way out while the other isn't there yet. My guessing on this. What I can tell you is that the cables have to be tightened and loosened by pairs in order not to cause issues. My system is by BAL and they have good documentation, althought I had trouble wrapping my head around what they were saying.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
joenan
Established Member

M.O.C. #17961
bed room slide

The cables do not seem to be sagging and the blocks are not in a bind. I measured the slide and it is coming out even. The noise is a clicking noise and not a pop sound. Its hard to pinpoint but just guessing it sound like the noise is coming from the motor/gearbox area. thanks
joenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
The gearbox is bad. One of the gears inside has worn/ broken teeth. I went thru this last year. Easy fix, the part was about $150.00. I took the Las one, took it apart, had a new gear made at a machine shop, and now carry a spare.
timandpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Being it works good in one direction I would think the motor. On mine it is a reversible motor. There are also 2 sprockets that run the chain. If the pin is sheared on one that would cause the problem. you can remove the panel above the bed a watch everything. Around 2015 they started using a different vendor that they say is a better unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote