Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2022, 05:23 PM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Reese Goosebox installation question

So I took the plunge and ordered a 20K Reese Goosebox, safety chains, and the spacer kits should I need them. For those with a newer 2020+ Chevy/GMC truck, what holes did you end up using when mounting? Right now, I have the factory kingpin set up as high as it will go, so my trailer is level with the Anderson hitch I have been using. Looking at the installation directions, it says to use one bolt hole lower than the current set-up to obtain that 7" of bed clearance. Is this the case? Any info or tips on installing would be appreciated.

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:31 AM   #2
Mike4956
Established Member

M.O.C. #29938
I just put it on my 2022 295rl and the ball on my short bed ram 2500. I can't answer your question realted to the GM, but will tell you I mounted it at the lowest bolt hole and had a little less than 7 inches. So, I put the 4 inch offset ball in the truck more for peace of mind than anything, but it allowed me to have a much tighter turning radius, and it is about 1 1/2 inch taller than the previous ball, now the clearance is 7 inches.
Mike4956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Thanks Mike. How was the install? I know the 20K one is over 200lbs. I was thinking of propping it up in the bed of my truck with some 4"x4" boards and dropping the trailer down onto it. I moved the factory one using this process, and it worked pretty well.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
Mike4956
Established Member

M.O.C. #29938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Thanks Mike. How was the install? I know the 20K one is over 200lbs. I was thinking of propping it up in the bed of my truck with some 4"x4" boards and dropping the trailer down onto it. I moved the factory one using this process, and it worked pretty well.
That's what I did. I also used to front jacks to raise and lower the trailer. After lining up a bolt, it was not too difficult to put the others in. The hard part was getting 200 ft/lbs of torque. There are several install videos. I had to use the spacers. To tell if you need to or not, if there are 2 vertical rows of bolts on the trailer, no spacer is needed, if there are 3 vertical rows, you'll need the spacer. A self tapping screw for the emergency brake is needed also. It took me about an hour, I did it in the parking lot when I picked up the trailer.
Mike4956 is offline   Reply With Quote