Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
Lynnz
Established Member

M.O.C. #17239
Dead battery!

Went to pick up Montana- dead battery! Took the fuse out in the fall. Any ideas? Yes, put fuse back in! Lol!

Lynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Took what fuse out? Even if you have a factory battery cutoff switch, there is still a few things with battery power to them. This parasitic drag will drain a battery in a few weeks. Your best bet is to remove the battery and put it on a maintainer over the winter ... the minimum thing to do is remove one or both of the battery terminal cables. Even a battery just sitting on a shelf will discharge over several months of inactivity.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
agreed battery in long term storage will drain quickly. I just put my fully charged battery in last week, so I can start getting it ready for the season. Battery has been solid for the week, I have been using the disconnect to shut it off each day. On Friday I was there working, forgot to use the disconnect. Today went there and he battery is dead as a doornail, so it doesn't take long at all. Give it a good charge and you should be good as long as the battery is in good shape.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My rig and all the crap we have in here will draw 8amps minimum with everything turned off and about 4amps with the battery disconnect on.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #5
Jamesadixon48
Established Member

M.O.C. #18011
I am a new trailer owner and need to know the proper way to care for my battery when our unit sits in storage for months at a time. When we got ready to leave on our last trip, our battery was weak and would not work the Level Up jack system. We sat for several minutes with the power cord on the trailer plugged into the truck bed while the truck charged the battery long enough to work the jacks. After burning all that fuel and time, I knew I had to have a better way of doing things. I have no way to charge the battery at my storage facility, so when we returned from our trip I decided to bring the battery home and store it in my garage. I am going to purchase a battery charger and need to know from the experts what is the best kind. Is there another way to solve this problem without taking the battery out and charging it at home before our next trip? I use the disconnect switch properly and have even taken the wires off the posts of the battery as well. It just sits too long in between trips, I guess.
Jamesadixon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:29 AM   #6
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
This is just my experience. I have a 2006, I am still on the original battery. Which I figure, I am pushing it and will be replacing this year. I don't boondock, so this could be a plus. I do disconnect the battery when in storage, at the battery terminal. I have had no problems with the battery, raising the landing gear, first time out for the season. Only once did I have a problem. Truck was hooked up, raised landing gear and off I went. Landed at rv park, lower gear, pulled truck away, went to level, no power, what it was just working, then I remembered I forgot to connect the battery.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Our Montana is a '14 and from the first, could not leave it unhooked for more than 48 hrs without battery going flat. Have had to put jumpers on to get the jacks to raise enough to hook up. I put disconnects on both battery posts and always disconnect both anytime it will not be on shore power. Finally, last fall in Pennsylvania, we had one of the bimetal breakers go bad and since it was replaced, have not had near the problem. From the day it was new, the six jacks would not all retract completely without recycling the control. Now since that breaker was replaced, all works fine. I still take the battery out and put on my trickle charger when we are home for a while.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:51 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One key is to make sure the battery is fully charged when you put it in storage and then disconnect it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
I put a marine battery cutoff switch that will eliminate everything electrical and give your battery a full charge before storing it this website will explain everything about charging a battery

http://batteriesbyfisher.com/determining-charge-time
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote